PDA

View Full Version : How many pilots are out of work in Australia?

Climb150
11th Nov 2020, 14:29
I know it's a sensitive subject but I am trying to get some numbers on how many people are still flying at Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin, Qlink etc?

C441
11th Nov 2020, 20:56
I know it's a sensitive subject but I am trying to get some numbers on how many people are still flying at Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin, Qlink etc?
There's a large difference between how many "still flying" (and how much flying they're doing) and how many still employed - on Jobkeeper - and how many now unemployed or now redundant…..

Just a guess, but roughly 10% retired/redundant, maybe 15-20% flying but minimal hours & 75% not flying.

Goat Whisperer
12th Nov 2020, 01:06
VA Group started the the year with 1850 pilots, now around 750 employed on 737 and 150 on F100/A320 at VARA. Only around 50 took VR from the 737, the rest were redundant from TT/VANZ in April or ATR/A330/777 in October.

The 737 pilots are in varying states of stand down/ part time flying. VARA mostly flying.

Climb150
12th Nov 2020, 15:24
Thanks for the replies. I should have just said "not flying at the moment regardless of employment status". I heard only 30% of Qlink and Jetstar people flying atm.

I will be writing a paper for Uni about CoVID and aviation effects. Just needed some idea of how deep the cuts are.

Thanks

dontgive2FACs
12th Nov 2020, 16:16
Thanks for the replies. I should have just said "not flying at the moment regardless of employment status". I heard only 30% of Qlink and Jetstar people flying atm.

I will be writing a paper for Uni about CoVID and aviation effects. Just needed some idea of how deep the cuts are.

Thanks

Suggest talk to the pilot unions (AFAP, AIPA and TWU) to gauge more accurate numbers.

Climb150
12th Nov 2020, 18:08
Suggest talk to the pilot unions (AFAP, AIPA and TWU) to gauge more accurate numbers.
Thanks but I need some numbers before Christmas! I don't need a concrete source just a broad estimate.

dontgive2FACs
12th Nov 2020, 20:19
Thanks but I need some numbers before Christmas! I don't need a concrete source just a broad estimate.

As you wish. Having written papers, I’d be weary about quoting ‘PPRUNE’ as your source of data. This is a ‘rumour site.

Sometimes the haven of those who are fishing for info....

Making a quick phone call to the union would take five mins and get you some more-accurate, ‘rough’ numbers. Quoting them as the reference would also add credibility to your work.

All the best. Feel free to post here. I’m sure many would be interested.

Ladloy
12th Nov 2020, 20:55
As you wish. Having written papers, I’d be weary about quoting ‘PPRUNE’ as your source of data. This is a ‘rumour site.

Sometimes the haven of those who are fishing for info....

Making a quick phone call to the union would take five mins and get you some more-accurate, ‘rough’ numbers. Quoting them as the reference would also add credibility to your work.

All the best. Feel free to post here. I’m sure many would be interested.

I agree with this. Don't half arse it. The unions will be very happy to help

HappyBandit
12th Nov 2020, 23:46

Thanks
More than 30% at Qlink. Yes there are still rotating stand downs but the flying has definitely picked up at least in Brisbane. My best guess overall for Qlink would be more circa 65%. Happy to be corrected.

Climb150
13th Nov 2020, 01:04
I agree with this. Don't half arse it. The unions will be very happy to help
I am sure they would but unless the numbers are published in some sort of official publication or journal, it will be considered the same as getting it from an internet forum.

DirectAnywhere
13th Nov 2020, 02:10
3729 pilots.

Busbitch
13th Nov 2020, 03:08
Every Australian based Pilot with Cathay Pacific (about 120 Airbus F/O & Captains) have been stood down since march. They will not be returning to work this year.

ScepticalOptomist
13th Nov 2020, 07:47
I am sure they would but unless the numbers are published in some sort of official publication or journal, it will be considered the same as getting it from an internet forum.

And yet you’re here asking on an anonymous forum instead of from the actual source? University has changed since my day!! :-)

Angle of Attack
13th Nov 2020, 10:15
Some Jetstar bases have been flat out some a bit quiet, Qlink Dash generally OK but I’d say at around 60-70% capacity, shared flying. Cobham generally fairly busy it’s around 80% capacity atm. Network in WA full flying, still can’t get enough schmucks to agree to their craphouse award. Qantas Shorthaul atm 35% increasing to 50% by December, so most doing some flying shared. QF international, forget it A330 maybe 1 roster per year everything else comatosed.

Green.Dot
13th Nov 2020, 18:55

As much as this forum is a good time waster and provides some entertainment, if you end up quoting PPRUNE I think most pilots will just laugh when they see it used as a reference and not bother reading your work. As has been hinted already, utilise the unions.

Climb150
13th Nov 2020, 22:58
Some on here don't seem to get what I am saying. I can say "unconfirmed sources suggest" or "anecdotal evidence points to".
I have to say this about Australia because the info I need isn't available from sources I can reference. So unless I leave Australia out completely, I have to say something.

BALPA and ALPA have published data about pilots lay offs. I can quote this.

MrScooter
14th Nov 2020, 06:28
On the bitre website the Domestic Activity Report for August shows that compared to the prior August, ASKs were down 83%. Sounds consistent with the anecdotal evidence I've heard.