PDA

View Full Version : Microlight hours

dns
9th Nov 2020, 19:58
Sorry if this has been asked before...
​​​​​​
Does time on fixed wing microlights count towards EASA CPL?

Just looking into my options as there is a microlight club a few miles from me and some of their "microlights" look significantly higher spec than the 1970s C152 that I did my original FAA PPL on 15 years ago!

SID PLATE
10th Nov 2020, 15:29
By all means grow a beard, wear grey socks with sandals, and fly a microlight ...

Just don't fly over my golf course when I'm putting, as seems to be the wont of those with such inclinations.

Thanks

LastStandards
10th Nov 2020, 18:13
To give you a useful answer if not the one you were hoping for: no, not for the time being anyway. Microlight time can be used towards the requirements for SEP Revalidation by Experience, which often adds confusion.

Mickey Kaye
11th Nov 2020, 06:26
Certain microlight time can also be used towards the FAA CPL.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Nov 2020, 08:47
Pre-EASA, JAA counted 10% of my 3-axis microlight hours towards my JAR PPL. If I'd done it a couple of years earlier as a UK PPL, IIRC I'd have been allowed 35 hours off the 45hr minima for my UK PPL(A) for holding a UK PPL(D).

FAA counted all of my 3-axis microlight hours towards my FAA CPL.

In EASAland, EASA counted none of my microlight hours towards my EASA CPL.

The goalposts keep moving, but so far as I know the only one that really matters is that you can count 3-axis microlight hours towards SEP currency in EASAland right now. I've heard of proposals for microlight hours to count towards the EASA CPL, but nothing concrete - and with the UK now leaving EASA, that lobby is likely to be much weakened. Maybe in coming years they'll count in some way towards a UK CPL and more generously again towards a UK PPL, but I wouldn't hold your breath, given all of the other, and to them higher, priorities UK CAA will have to deal with in its first few years flying solo again.