PDA

View Full Version : FLYPOP

WindSheer
6th Nov 2020, 19:30
I can't find a specific post on this new startup, but I have just had a read through their website.

We could all scream madness to start an airline at a time like this, but if they get the timing just right I think they could be right on the money. The main carriers are going to carry huge debt and covid 'ripples' for many years, whereas a new startup, provided they can gain seat sales could hit the mark on the routes they are approaching.

Seems a half decent business model for once.

CabinCrewe
6th Nov 2020, 19:38
But perhaps missed the boat with all the recent UK expansion eastwards...

flyboy146
6th Nov 2020, 20:01
A disgraceful decision by the government to approve this. Regardless the money will likely be lost in some Cypriot shell company and never seen again.

JSCL
6th Nov 2020, 20:02
Its an interesting precedent though.

Imagine a world where Virgin form a new airline and seek match funding then buy their old assets?

southside bobby
7th Nov 2020, 14:09
Just slightly ironically & semantically flypop appear to style themselves thus in all lower case as opposed to the thread title FLYPOP in full caps.

willy wombat
7th Nov 2020, 18:34
I struggle to take this seriously. On BBC’s “The Apprentice” a couple of years ago one of the tasks was to brand an airline. The more hapless of the two teams came up with “Jet Pop” which was, inevitably lambasted by various industry experts.

southside bobby
8th Nov 2020, 06:08
Non defence of flypop per se...

...But generally one wonders what the above poster would have thought of a certain airline in 95/96 commencing ops out of LTN with the slogan "making flying as affordable as a pair of jeans"...
In context for the period easy was a very well known brand of jeans.

willy wombat
8th Nov 2020, 07:12
I remember easyJet’s slogan well but it’s not the same thing. The general objection to “pop” in an airline name is that it suggests an explosion which I think we can all agree is not a good thing.

southside bobby
8th Nov 2020, 07:25
mmmmmm....Trying too hard methinks...

So ban the word `pop` now ?...

So does everybody duck when an American youngster asks for a bottle of `pop` on board or asks his `pop` if he can have one please.

Or even play the "pop" band M with their hit from long ago "pop pop music" on their devices on board!

flypop as an idea has been around a couple of years & the thinking you suggest has never crossed minds.

SWBKCB
8th Nov 2020, 08:24
You forgot "pop" goes the weasel?

Clearly the implication is the use of the word "pop" is more sensitive in a context like aviation, rather than more general use. Not as if there aren't lots of other more neutral words out there to use.

southside bobby
8th Nov 2020, 09:26
Contrariness abounds it appears...

Slow Sunday morning.

No certainly did not forget the good ole weasel...who could...but failed to slot him into an aviation context quickly.

Slightly juvenile of course but the "pops" used were slightly in an aviation context as is apparent if posters here of a delicate nature would allow.

flypop as an idea has been around a couple of years & the name seen in parallel with a proposed livery & web face appears quite modern & distinctive.

Never have I been aware the word "pop" is more sensitive in a context like aviation...after all any word requires to be taken IN context & with the implied inflection & posters here determine to take it OUT of context.

But perhaps i`m wrong & flypopular then could perhaps become another rendition to appease troubled opinions.

pamann
8th Nov 2020, 09:31
POP = People over profit.

IIRC is what it stands for in this instance.

southside bobby
8th Nov 2020, 09:40
Exactly so...it does & good point out.

southside bobby
8th Nov 2020, 09:48
Reflects how delicate aviation & opinions have become.

SOME of course quite understandably.

Back in the day TNT Express Worldwide registered their 146QC`s in the G-TNT* range, carried large TNT initials on the tail & used the ATC call sign "Dynamite".

southside bobby
8th Nov 2020, 12:59
Correction to myself...TNT ATC callsign back in the day was of course "Nitro"..."Dynamite" callsign belonged to a small Dutch package provider same kind of era.

harriewillem
9th Nov 2020, 07:30
Is their any proof of the funding that they are claiming to get... It is just hard to believe for me that the UK goverment would put money in any start up.. let alone a start up that has been trying for ages... next thing we have Jason back on the block too..

Riskybis
9th Nov 2020, 07:54
A start up Low cost LH out of the UK , which had received government funding ???

https://www.flypop.co.uk/

I dread to think what the T&Cs will be

sangiovese.
9th Nov 2020, 08:47
There’s a similar operation planned called Hans Airways out of STN.

Alsacienne
9th Nov 2020, 08:56
But let's hope nobody makes a spelling error as Fly Poop would be even worse than the present moniker!

Confirmed Must Ride
9th Nov 2020, 08:58
This website has been around a few years now, with a few changes to senior management on the our team page..

oldchina
9th Nov 2020, 09:09
In what sense is this a low operating cost carrier? Offering reasonable fares doesn't make you a low cost carrier.
The short haul LCC model (minimum turnaround times, zero pax service ...) doesn't work long haul.

southside bobby
9th Nov 2020, 09:28
The Primary school playground to the fore again...Again most sensible people would never have considered a spelling error.

draglift
9th Nov 2020, 11:30
Didn't "The Apprentice" candidates have to come up with a new name for an airline and they were ridiculed for coming up with "Jet Pop" which sounded like a decompression explosion. Perhaps that is where the idea for the name came from!

Not Long Now
9th Nov 2020, 12:59
When is your first scheduled flight?
"flypop plans to launch the first flight to Amritsar in June 2020 and flights to Ahmedabad shortly thereafter."
Hmmm...

oldchina
9th Nov 2020, 15:08
When?

" it must be stated that FLYPOP does not currently have authorization from the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) or the Indian authorities to operate air services between the UK and India and that it must obtain such authorization before it can commence such operations"

racedo
9th Nov 2020, 19:29
This website has been around a few years now, with a few changes to senior management on the our team page..

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09098179/officers

Board of directors have been reasonably consistent.

southside bobby
9th Nov 2020, 19:43
Without the funding in place they would hardly have the authorization to operate would they.

Cautious Optimist
30th Mar 2022, 20:52
Am I right in thinking this outfit is now up-and-running with 2x A330?

pamann
30th Mar 2022, 21:02
Am I right in thinking this outfit is now up-and-running with 2x A330?

Three A330’s according to their Twitter. Though they appear to be operating for and on HiFly’s AOC at present.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1242x1474/ea9e9430_b6ad_44f5_afda_a7f64266ffd8_6ab1ab5ae64a56d7b8615f5 4aea38c4965279239.jpeg

PFR
14th Aug 2022, 07:52
Yes, that’s the current arrangement.

ATNotts
14th Aug 2022, 08:04
They aren't up and running at all. They won't be unless and until they get their UK AOC and some aircraft actually on the UK register.

Same goes for Hans Airways, though it would appear they are rather further down the road to obtaining their UK AOC. As and when they have done all both carriers have to do is to convince an overly protective government in Delhi to give the the necessary operating licences to offer direct service from UK to India. That I fear will be the more difficult of the two tasks.

kcockayne
14th Aug 2022, 13:01
One of their A330s flew over Jersey last week flying, I think it was, from Geneva to Newark for Hi Fly. Got a very good photo’ of it.

PFR
14th Aug 2022, 14:32
Post on here. I’m sure many on here would like to see it 👍

Una Due Tfc
14th Aug 2022, 14:48
They were operating ACMI Euro and TATL flights for Aer Lingus in recent weeks.

With the shortages of crews and airframes at the legacies post COVID, the ACMI operators seem to be in high demand this year.

sewushr
14th Aug 2022, 14:56
If by 'they' you mean FlyPOP then, no, they weren't operating ACMI for Aer Lingus. HiFly Malta was. As ATNotts has pointed out, without an AOC and Operating Licence, FlyPOP don't (and can't) operate anything! ;-)

Una Due Tfc
14th Aug 2022, 14:58
Copied. In that case an A330 with FlyPOP written all over it was, on a Shamrock callsign naturally 👍

kcockayne
14th Aug 2022, 20:06
Sorry, PFR, you are dealing with a complete computer illiterate. I have absolutely no idea how to do that.!

kcockayne
15th Aug 2022, 12:31
Post on here. I’m sure many on here would like to see it 👍
I have tried, with help, to send the photos, but they will only download 50% & can't be downloaded, or sent. Sorry.

Liffy 1M
15th Aug 2022, 13:19
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1339/9hpop190722_1fjg_64a829a228ab6b2e8d7c4acf3d3774a682043623.jp g
The aforementioned A330 arriving at Dublin in July to operate for Aer Lingus.

Max Tow
16th Aug 2022, 04:30
I remember thinking that it was odd that G-XPOP as in post #29 was not known on the UK register - glad to see the painter now has it sorted!