PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Chrissy Crays

vne165
5th Nov 2020, 21:55
Not wishing to make too much light of a serious change in trading circumstances for Australia, however I'm struggling to find sympathy for an industry that has in recent years sold more than 90% of it's catch to the Far Kingdom, leaving us with the $50 cackers.
Perhaps they are actually doing us a favour - might be able to afford some nice crays for the Christmas table.

Styx75
5th Nov 2020, 22:30
Not wishing to make too much light of a serious change in trading circumstances for Australia, however I'm struggling to find sympathy for an industry that has in recent years sold more than 90% of it's catch to the Far Kingdom, leaving us with the $50 cackers.
Perhaps they are actually doing us a favour - might be able to afford some nice crays for the Christmas table.

Im hoping for the same with electricity prices. Without having to compete globally for our own coal surely must bring the prices down yeah?

halas
6th Nov 2020, 08:17
Re Crays, from where l am from the fishermen have been riding an unbelievably good wave for twenty years.
High returns for comparatively small outlay to harvest a natural resource.
And sell that natural resource for such prices keeps the local average consumer out of the market.

Sound familiar? Yes, mining.

Also where l am from, SA, the Chinese own the power, so good luck with that.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
7th Nov 2020, 01:13
'Its Time' ? To use a well known phrase by a person who shall remain nameless....

Time to buy back / 'nationalise' OUR country's utilities, farms, resources etc.

Having sold the farm / privatised our utilities and an important strategic harbour even, for a short term economic gain, 'we' are now realising the sheer stupidity of such.

I really do not know how to 'fixit' - otherwise I would be the 'prim monster'.

So, just what DO we do..??

No Cheers 'ere....NOPE. None at all!!

megan
7th Nov 2020, 04:39
might be able to afford some nice crays for the Christmas tableCoupled with the wine issues I wonder if bottles of Grange will be going cheap as well. Could just see myself and SWMBO dining on a lovely cray and washing it down with a Grange, and please, no comments re oceanic wildlife and reds. :E

Pinky the pilot
7th Nov 2020, 04:42
Could just see myself and SWMBO dining on a lovely cray and washing it down with a Grange, and please, no comments re oceanic wildlife and reds

+1.:ok: And definitely concur with the last part of the quoted post.

G'day Griffo.

TBM-Legend
8th Nov 2020, 11:33
Oh for the days of old with a crayfish dinner at the Cockpit Bar at EN on a Friday night. Straight off the Navajo and into the pot and cheap too!

megan
9th Nov 2020, 02:54
Straight off the Navajo and into the pot and cheap tooWas on one particular job southern Tasmania where we got them straight off the fishing boat for free couldn't get any fresher or cheaper. RAAF SAR crew from Pearce found they could get expensive though, got caught sending the crewman down on the winch to lift the pots and take possession of the contents, judge was not amused and crew fined accordingly.

9th Nov 2020, 12:59
The cheapest I ever had was a sugar bag full of sandies given to us by the crew of an Ansett 27 at Coen back in the 70s
Thanks fellas.

Global Aviator
9th Nov 2020, 19:45
Some good hour building with a flight to King, picked up by fisherman, onto the boat, cray hold open, yep I’ll have that one and that one and that one (don’t think got those ones), into the hessian sack, back to the airport and home.

I think I’m showing my age!

:)

Might be time to do it again!

machtuk
9th Nov 2020, 21:18
40 or so years ago a few of us would hire whatever SE we could find, gut the interior, cover the floor with plastic and head off to YFLI. We would take orders from work colleagues. Down to the Whitemark warf, fill as many hessian bags with crays as we could at $5 Kilo and fly home sell them straight out of a ute to cover costs!

Checkboard
9th Nov 2020, 21:45
In 1989 or so, a friend of mine (Robbie) used to do that overnight in a Navajo, out of RVAC at Moorabbin airport.

Very secretive about it he was.

IFEZ
9th Nov 2020, 21:54
Many years ago working at MB a stones throw from one of the King Island contacts who we had a good relationship with, it was just a matter of putting in your order at xmas time and voila - straight off the Chieftan into the fridge, pay up (less than $20/kg from memory) and xmas feast all sorted. So good..! Then all of a sudden they became heavily regulated, price went through the roof (presumably due to overseas demand) and that was that. They became unaffordable for the avg person, especially on an instructors wage..!

vne165
10th Nov 2020, 00:39
IFEZ,
Similar story over here too...no regulatory oversight, I'm sure if they had their way 100% of the catch would go overseas and we'd import to make up the shortfall.
That there is no limits placed on how much can be exported of such a delicious natural product, beggars belief.

On eyre
10th Nov 2020, 01:46
IFEZ,
Similar story over here too...no regulatory oversight, I'm sure if they had their way 100% of the catch would go overseas and we'd import to make up the shortfall.
That there is no limits placed on how much can be exported of such a delicious natural product, beggars belief.
Quotas on catch to ensure sustainability of the fishery and globalisation of the market driving up prices explains it all. Bugga.

Clinton McKenzie
11th Nov 2020, 07:52
I was astonished and elated when lobsters (crayfish in some third-world nations) started turning up on the shelves of the Cootamundra Woolworths, and continued to appear intermittently during the ‘height’ of C19 restrictions. It had been many decades since I’d seen them for retail sale in a supermarket.

Even though Cootamundra used to be the Australian end of the mail service between Australia and England, I’ve yet to work out why we could buy lobsters from the Cootamundra Woolies but not in Canberra or Victor Harbor, Port Elliot or Goolwa over the same period.

Cootamundra February:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/b7ac0c6d_80e1_4db6_9921_36b04ccc0a00_ad46f4d0332791f3985cc8c 9f5aee58be9c50f4d.jpeg

11th Nov 2020, 11:50
I’ve yet to work out why we could buy lobsters from the Cootamundra Woolies but not in Canberra or Victor Harbor, Port Elliot or Goolwa over the same period.

Maybe someone actually completed one of the "how did we do today" surveys that pop up every so often and complained that there were no crays to buy in Cootamundra
I complained that there was no sweet white onions in a local woolies store. Sweet white onions have been on sale ever since.

Checkboard
11th Nov 2020, 21:44
What the hell is that green **** seeping out of that lobster?? :o

Wizofoz
11th Nov 2020, 21:47

Yes- how dare a commercial enterprise in a free, Capitolist society seek the highest price for it's product.

josephfeatherweight
11th Nov 2020, 22:22
Yeah, I thought the same thing - I actually think it's a picture of a flower on the plate...

11th Nov 2020, 23:30
Yes- how dare a commercial enterprise in a free, Capitolist society seek the highest price for it's product.
It is all OK until the Govt pulls your export licence as Fraser did with mineral sands.

Pinky the pilot
12th Nov 2020, 05:56

Wasabi, arranged to look like a flower?:confused:

Doesn't really look good IMHO.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th Nov 2020, 07:07
But you WOULD eat it Mr Pinky.....I just KNOW U WOULD !!!!!!

With the approp 'red' of course....just to give it sum flavouuuurrrr.....

Cheeerrrsss....

Clinton McKenzie
12th Nov 2020, 09:00
What the hell is that green **** seeping out of that lobster?? Whoa! Some of you folks are wound up a little too tight. Or need eye checks...

It’s just a design baked into the dinner plates.

That lobster (and the others I purchased) were deeeelicious.

Pinky the pilot
12th Nov 2020, 09:31
Whoa! Some of you folks are wound up a little too tight. Or need eye checks...
It’s just a design baked into the dinner plates.

Ummm...Upon close examination of the piccy Clinton, I think you are correct!:ooh:

(PtP crawls back into his box...:O:})

But you WOULD eat it Mr Pinky.....I just KNOW U WOULD !!!!!!

With the approp 'red' of course....just to give it sum flavouuuurrrr..

Of course I would Griffo!:ok: That goes without sayin'.:D Although I might forgo the Red for a nice Pinot Noir Bubbly!:ok:

Cheers an' all!

vne165
12th Nov 2020, 23:50

Wiz,
They are perfectly entitled to do that, never said otherwise. Only that my store of sympathy was empty when it came to them potentially losing their market.....
Looks like it was a just a shot over the bows anyway - haven't heard any more on the matter on the wires, and haven't noticed pallets of cheap crays either...sadly

Clinton McKenzie
13th Nov 2020, 06:11
Dining safety tip: Don’t try to the eat the salad. It’s part of the plate.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/dfe06a00_41a1_4f54_b922_52ebc7d96e41_a84704b9fb3abbc353e1a8e 9367e4c66fa6c2c92.jpeg

gerry111
13th Nov 2020, 11:25
Dining safety tip: Don’t try to the eat the salad. It’s part of the plate.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/dfe06a00_41a1_4f54_b922_52ebc7d96e41_a84704b9fb3abbc353e1a8e 9367e4c66fa6c2c92.jpeg
I can handle the green stuff... But's what's the blue? :8