PDA

View Full Version : Sydney DAME

Sub Orbital
2nd Nov 2020, 23:13
My son is trying to obtain a class 1 medical and has had no end of trouble (nothing medical) due to CASA confusing him with another person and the current DAME insisting on something wrong with his urine sample although he never even gave a sample!
Fortunately, I don't have to worry about CASA medicals any more but I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a DAME (preferably around the Sutherland Shire) that could be recommended from personal experience.
Many thanks in advance.

Roj approved
3rd Nov 2020, 00:17
I believe there is a Dr Saunders in the Shire, or Dr Robin Mitchell in Eastgardens Medical Centre

SKJ
3rd Nov 2020, 00:31
Dr Alan Saunders @ Caringbah medical centre

Ascend Charlie
3rd Nov 2020, 00:56
Go to Robin Mitchell, he has a wonderful sense of humour and a totally sensible attitude towards the CASA horsefeathers. He is in East Gardens now, after the Airports Corporation decided that a Medical Centre in the GA section at KSA wasn't bringing in enough money, so they booted them and put in a Krispy Kreme donut shop. Great health outcome.

I rang him to book a medical in the 80s, and he asked me if I was going to come in for it or do it over the phone! He would also do a test on the urine sample called the Sink Test. Yes, it went down the sink. Pass.

Freehills
3rd Nov 2020, 01:34
Yeah, totally sensible. That's just what we want, medicals done over the phone and urine testing ignored. Hey, why not totally sensibly phone in maintenance checks on the aircraft as well, and re-install avionics without testing too...

missy
3rd Nov 2020, 05:11
There are quite a few ATCs (Class3's) alive because of what was discovered as part of their renewals. I'd rather visit a thorough DAME rather than one who simply passed (bad pun) anything/anyone.

Ascend Charlie
3rd Nov 2020, 05:29
The point he was making was that absolutely everybody could be made to fail a medical if the DAME looked at the rules from a jaded point of view.

A few of the rules had very little relationship to being fit to fly, but if enforced, there goes your career.

And when I mentioned his sense of humour, I should have foreseen that readers of these threads would have none at all. The phone comment was a joke he made, Deirdre...