PDA

View Full Version : Lock Down Affect on GA ???

Dave Gittins
2nd Nov 2020, 11:45
Any rumours as to whether the lockdown starting on Thursday will restrict GA this time ?

I consider maintaining my currency as essential.

OpenCirrus619
2nd Nov 2020, 13:58
As of yesterday it seems there is little clarity ... from AOPA Instructors update email:
I do NOT have any information concerning the effect on GA of the forthcoming national restrictions announced yesterday. There appears to be no mention in the Government’s website at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november#businesses-and-venues (https://secureweb.jpmchase.net/readonly/https:/www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november#businesses-and-venues) .

OC619

student88
2nd Nov 2020, 17:55
I consider maintaining my currency as essential.

Can you fly 3 circuits before Thursday?

Dave Gittins
3rd Nov 2020, 12:09
Can you fly 3 circuits before Thursday?

I got the sad email last night from Redhill that the airfield is to close from midnight tomorrow (until when ever the lockdown is lifted) with the exception of Air Ambulance and Police helicopters.

Fortunately the forecast for tomorrow is good and the aeroplane available. As I only work 80% coz of Covid, I'll just swap my week about a bit.

BoeingBoy
3rd Nov 2020, 15:27
From the LAA: Tuesday 3rd November 13:30

FLYING DURING THE LOCKDOWN PERIOD

The LAA position, which we are advocating to DfT and the CAA, is that there is no safety reason why an LAA member should not fly, either to maintain pilot currency or to maintain aircraft serviceability. If a flight is solo, or with a passenger from their social ‘bubble’ and from ‘A-to-A’ then there is minimal additional COVID risk provided ‘hands, face and space’ precautions are taken on the ground.
The risks posed by losing flying currency are arguably greater. In July, at the end of the first lockdown the CAA identified the primary risk to pilots as ‘Skill Fade’, from private pilots to instructors and commercial. Even though most private pilots are cautious and there is greater risk in areas such as infringement rather than direct accident risk, maintaining flying currency is an important safety asset.
However, we recognise that public perception is a major challenge and we therefore recommend discretion in carrying out flights at this time. It should also be noted that movement restrictions, which differ from England in the devolved administrations, may affect travel and access to airfields.

We also note recent advice from the Secretary of State for Transport that “flying training and tests are not allowed during the lockdown, the same as driving lessons and tests. Airfields are allowed to stay open and hiring of aircraft is okay so long as it is for one of the reasons you are allowed to leave home”. LAA Pilot Coaching activities will therefore be suspended for the month ahead.

homonculus
3rd Nov 2020, 15:32
Until the law is passed, the Gov.uk guidelines state

This means you must not leave or be outside of your home except for specific purposes. These include:

for childcare or education, where this is not provided online
for work purposes, where your place of work remains open and where you cannot work from home (including if your job involves working in other people’s homes)
to exercise outdoors or visit an outdoor public place - with the people you live with, with your support bubble or, when on your own, with 1 person from another household (children under school age, as well as those dependent on round-the-clock care, such as those with severe disabilities, who are with their parents will not count towards the limit on two people meeting outside).
for any medical concerns, reasons, appointments and emergencies, or to avoid or escape risk of injury or harm - such as domestic abuse
shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which should be as infrequent as possible
to visit members of your support bubble (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-support-bubble-with-another-household) or provide care for vulnerable people, or as a volunteer

It seems therefore that Mr Shapps PPL is correct and I suspect very very few people will be able to justify GA flights. I agree with the LAA, and unlike March I have doubts about the data, but the law is the law.

ak7274
3rd Nov 2020, 17:55
I'll tell you what. You do what you do and I will do what I will do. No pedantic nit picking of grammar, No "I am a better person for giving myself a flogging"
Airfields are allowed to stay open, not for Chicken racing, I suspect.
Flying regularly is not only good for mental health, it's also good for muscle memory, currency and experience.
During the last 12 months, due to bad weather and Cyrus the Virus I would suggest that the great majority of Pilots have flown less than 1/2 their normal hours. I believe there is no coincidence in the number of incidents in the last few months.
I don't intend to flaunt my flying to pxxs off the public, but will continue to fly as I believe it's essential for my and other people's safety.
Please play the Holier than thou card as much as you wish.

homonculus
3rd Nov 2020, 20:29
Goodness ak7274, I posted an objective analysis of the rules in response to OP's initial question. I then said I didnt support them. Your aggressive and unpleasant response is inappropriate. I really do advise you not to behave like that when flying. And no, I dont want to engage further with you. Anyway, might not be wise to tell everyone your intentions on a public bulletin board if you intend to break the law.

Pilot DAR
3rd Nov 2020, 21:24
Steady on posters, let's respect each other's realities. The opportunities are perhaps a little different for each of us in respect of flying in these times. I'm sure that we each respect the public policies as best we can, and maintain our careers and pastimes as best we can after that.

ak7274
4th Nov 2020, 06:37
Once again the written word is taken in the wrong context as being overly aggressive. That was not my intention and I apologise if anyone took it that way.
I will continue to fly to maintain my currency, although not as much as out of lockdown.
I will continue to fly revalidation flights too. This is in no small part due to the increase in incidents post lockdown, when pilots returned to flying low on currency and flying skills. If 50 instructors fly the "One hour with an Instructor" and just one anonymous Pilot is saved from embarrassment at best, then it's worth it to me.
I hope this post is taken in the way I meant it. As if spoken across a table of 4 or 5 when not too much wine has been consumed.
Again I am sorry it was taken the way it was and on reflection, I can understand it.

idle stop
4th Nov 2020, 07:29
Please will somebody (BB?) provide an authoritative reference for the Shapps quote?
So according to the Govt website one can go fishing with one friend but not play tennis, or even play golf alone. Confused? Certainly ill thought through...

BoeingBoy
4th Nov 2020, 11:58
The reference from the Secretary of State was through a Tweet by the Liaison Officer of the APPG for GA. The LAA incorporated it into their response. I'm not aware of the source to Grant Shapps directly.
The actual legislation governing this lock down is readable here:

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1200/contents/made)

The more simplified guidance is here:

New National Restrictions from 5 November (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november?fbclid=IwAR1NHvZQ_Fq_DhX1WRdo5GW-Fm2XZDNVMi3iFjB6qJNVym23D4oRioTd74E#travel)

excrab
4th Nov 2020, 12:45
From the regulations linked to BoeingBoy’s post an exemption exists which allows you to leave your home for the purpose of “training”, so there is no reason that student pilots cannot attend a flying school or club for that purpose. At the same time flying instructors and other flying school staff can travel to work, as they cannot reasonably work from home.
That being the case why do flying schools have to close for PPL or other training ?

idle stop
4th Nov 2020, 13:56
Thanks, BB.
So I can’t take my sailing dinghy out on my local deserted lake, as was allowed before GA started up again on 4th July. But no mention of airfields....guess it is all a matter of interpretation.
if my home airfield stays open I can justify currency flying, in my group- owned aircraft , as I am a professional aviator who needs to maintain currency...ergo I can drive to and from the airfield. I think.

BoeingBoy
4th Nov 2020, 14:04
The legislation contains so little information in relation to GA that unless the DofT tell the CAA what they want we're all going to be interpreting things our own way.
The rules banning gatherings of two or more outdoors (notwithstanding family and support exemptions) preclude training and self fly hire is covered by business' hiring propelled machinery closing under paragraph 26 of Part 2 (Other Business') Schedule 2

idle stop
4th Nov 2020, 14:46
My aeroplane..well, 20% of it, so no question of hiring. Just a question of whether the airfield is allowed to provide service of getting it out and in the hangar, and staying open for movements. Gas is self-service.
yes, guidance from CAA would be useful, but will somebody there stick their head above the parapet..?

BoeingBoy
4th Nov 2020, 15:10
The CAA will simply quote whatever the DofT tell them. No one at the CAA has the authority to legislate on the matter so 'guidance' is the best we can hope for.

BoeingBoy
4th Nov 2020, 16:23
Game over Gentlemen. Engine health and urgent licence rating renewals only.

UK GA Guidance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-general-aviation/coronavirus-covid-19-general-aviation)

Herschel Krustofski
4th Nov 2020, 19:11
Here we go again.

Guidance is not the law.

You must follow the law.

It is up to you whether you follow the guidance.

Guidance should not be confused with the law.

Although I do fear it may be game over anyway.

Max Angle
4th Nov 2020, 19:28
It is not up to you, the law says you must stay at home without a reasonable excuse and GA has been not been deemed to be such an excuse.

BBK
4th Nov 2020, 22:32
It looks to me that a flight to maintain currency is allowed. It’s mentioned in the same paragraph that talks about engine maintenance. Just my interpretation of course.

Pilot DAR
5th Nov 2020, 00:39
I imagine that the government has much more vital guidance to draft than whether recreational pilots should go flying or not, and they probably don't really care one way or another. And, it's a bit of a new world out there when it comes to actually regulating previously unregulated social behavior, so some nuances may be missed. I'm sure that the master theme is: reduce/eliminate person to person contact which has any risk of spreading the virus, and minimize the burden upon the health care system. Other than those two objectives, does the government care at all what people do? The taxpayer cannot afford to employ enough people spending enough time to precisely evaluate every permutation of every risk, so, they apply the resource they have, and broad brush it on the conservative side. And those bureaucrats probably don't understand that a pilot might want to fly to maintain proficiency for a purely recreational activity, so they won't do anything to enable it.

In the mean time, people sitting bored at home, looking longingly at a place in the sky that they wish they were in, are not lying in a hospital bed, wishing they could sit up. Thrust me, spending a few weeks not even being able to sit up in a hospital bed is way worse than not being able to go flying.

So, as I appreciate being able to go flying (at all, much less just today), I'm not going to pass judgement on a fellow flier, who might also be able to go flying while entirely respecting social expectations of distance and safety. I also won't think less of a fellow flier who decides that they can best meet society's expectation by staying home - it's none of my business either way. If someone asks here for a reference to guidance from the government, and someone else offers it, thanks! That's how we help each other be up to date. We are not each other's police - right?

Herschel Krustofski
5th Nov 2020, 11:36
It is not up to you, the law says you must stay at home without a reasonable excuse and GA has been not been deemed to be such an excuse.
Let's try this again...

A previous poster referred to the Government's website which provides guidance. You have to use your judgement on whether you wish to follow guidance.

The law is the law and must be followed.

Too often through this crisis guidance has been confused with the law. Guidance is not the law. The law is the law as it is written.

MrAverage
5th Nov 2020, 12:17
If you've read the law you'd know that the website, and the latest pages particular to GA, are a pretty good representation of the law. It's not all just advice, the words "must" and "should" and other similar words are used where necessary.

MrAverage
5th Nov 2020, 12:19
...I've dived for cover from the inevitable rain of arrows......

Dave Gittins
5th Nov 2020, 12:48
Oh well …. managed an hour round Kent yesterday so current into the lockdown. Every man and his dog was out, Redhill was very busy with aeroplanes all over the place taxying into every nook and cranny whilst trying to use RWY 25 and do 3 circuits. Basic service only from Farnborough due to the amount of traffic in the FIR. Quite fun.

Redhill now closed apart from Air Ambulance, Police, commercial flight training and BBC and Sky helicopters.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Nov 2020, 17:07
and BBC and Sky helicopters.

The essential nature of which, presently escapes me!

G

Maoraigh1
5th Nov 2020, 19:13
After our Group Jodel was sold, I've been waiting for weather to fly her part of the way to her new owner. Now the weather's OK, the intermediate airfield and final destination are closed, so the delivery flight isn't possible, even if it isn't technically recreation.

150 Driver
5th Nov 2020, 20:55
All a bit academic really if your airfield is closed - which many seem to be. For my part last flight was yesterday to get her to maintenance for annual. Couldn't believe how busy it was round Shoreham.

OpenCirrus619
6th Nov 2020, 16:22
From AOPA: https://mailchi.mp/aopa/cbolp9mj4v-697596?e=3efca55745

Though some of it seems a little contradictory ...
The guidance is clear that Private pilots should not be flying for sport or leisure.
In respect of ratings expiring, our view is that you should be able to fly for the minimum flight time, including instructional flights, needed to revalidate or renew your ratings. For example, if you have extended your SEP rating under ORS4 1416 (https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4No1416.pdf) or ORS4 1418 (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4No1418.pdf) you should work out the minimum number of PIC hours, landings and instructional flights to revalidate or renew required. You can check using our online tool (https://www.aopa.co.uk/covid-19-information/ors4-1416-1417-revalidation-tool.html).

OC619

Meldrew
8th Nov 2020, 08:29
I also managed a currency flight on Wednesday, just before lockdown. It was a good day to use the listening squawk rather than actually talk to ATC. Southend Radar were so busy that is would have been very difficult to get a call in and they were frequently asking callers to “standby” Every person and their dog were airborne in Essex and Kent on Wednesday afternoon.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
9th Nov 2020, 08:46
Even the College of Policing know that guidance is just that. Page 17 is a clear as mud to me..

https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/understanding-the-law/Documents/COVID-19-England-No4-Regulations-Business-closures.pdf

Maoraigh1
9th Nov 2020, 18:59
If there was any mention of GA in that Police Document, I missed it.
What is the definition of an "Elite Athlete"?
I'm glad I'm in Scotland in this situation.

Fl1ingfrog
9th Nov 2020, 22:09
College of Policing Limited 2020

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No 4) Regulations 2020

Restricted businesses which must close

Showrooms and other premises, including outdoor areas, used for the sale or hire of caravans, boats or any vehicle which can be propelled by mechanical means, and car washes.

The above is very clear to me (the underlining is mine). An aeroplane is a vehicle.

OpenCirrus619
10th Nov 2020, 09:32
To play the Devil's Advocate ...

Does that mean it is OK if I'm not hiring ... i.e. I own the aircraft?

OC619

P.S. I have no intention of flying during lockdown

Maoraigh1
10th Nov 2020, 19:08
"Showrooms and other premises, including outdoor areas, used for the sale or hire of caravans, boats or any vehicle which can be propelled by mechanical means, and car washes."Nothing there against flying your own plane. But sale and lease of drones seems to be prohibited. Can a qualified but neither owner nor full-time employee fly/drive anything? Taxi, drone, Kingair?

Forfoxake
10th Nov 2020, 23:13
Reported by Flyer online mag yesterday:

" The UK CAA’s Head of Medical Policy, Dr Stuart Mitchell, has said that pilots applying for a Class 2 or LAPL medical examination during November’s lockdown may be breaching Government regulations.

What’s more, Dr Mitchell admits that the CAA is monitoring the activity of AeroMedical Examiners (AMEs) on a weekly basis to identify such cases.

In a letter to AMEs, Dr Mitchell says, “Class 2 and LAPL leisure/sport pilots cannot decide that it is up to them whether to have a Class 2 or LAPL medical… Our advice to you as AMEs is that such pilots should not be attending medicals at this time.”

Dr Mitchell goes on to point out that there are a small number of exceptions in the Department for Transport’s guidance on GA activities such as urgent flight/engine tests.

“We would not want any AMEs being accused of colluding with anyone seeking to breach the regulations.”

This is despite other medical examinations such as eye tests and dental checks being allowed to go ahead. The Government’s Coronavirus advice (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november) also states that “You can leave home for any medical reason.”

A spokesperson for the CAA said, “Under the Government’s current COVID-19 lockdown regulations, the public are required to stay at home and to avoid meeting other people except for specific purposes. We have therefore advised Aeromedical Examiners (AMEs) to not carry out Class 2 and LAPL medical examinations for private pilots during the lockdown. AMEs can still carry out examinations for professional pilots and air traffic controllers as both parties will be undertaking work or a work-related activity.

“Although the lockdown regulations allow members of the public to attend some medical appointments for ‘medical needs,’ it does not allow medical assessments for leisure flying. If a pilot thinks they have an urgent need for a Class 2 or LAPL medical examination (and cannot utilise the Civil Aviation Authority’s Online Medical Self-declaration System) they can make a written case to our Medical Department which will consider it in consultation with the CAA’s General Aviation Unit.” "

Apart from the Big Brother aspects of this, and the discussion on this thread, readers have already pointed out that there are legitimate reasons for needing a Class 2 medical, for example, for permitted work-related flying. And that there is not a full lockdown in some parts of the UK!

shorehamite
12th Nov 2020, 09:47
Just looking at Shoreham's arrival page, i see that a 152 has come in from Stapleford, and a PA28 has arrived from Guernsey.
Are the CAA police going to check on their reasons for these flights.

Dave Gittins
12th Nov 2020, 12:53
Commercial training is still allowed.

tmmorris
12th Nov 2020, 14:14
It’s pretty easy to work out which leisure activities will be restricted. Ask yourself, is this perceived as an upper or working class activity? (Emphasis intentional.)

If it’s a bit posh (flying, tennis, and this time, even hunting and shooting) then it’s a no.
If not (fishing) then it’s fine.

John R81
13th Nov 2020, 08:34
"Hunting" is not banned, neither is "shooting". Some forms of hunting, and shooting at a range, are prohibited. Sensible rules here, which restrict activities where there is an enhanced risk of transmission but do not restrict where there is no enhanced risk of transmission.

See the BASC website if you want further details..

Radgirl
13th Nov 2020, 10:15
Although the lockdown regulations allow members of the public to attend some medical appointments for ‘medical needs,’ it does not allow medical assessments for leisure flying

I have previously posted, and been shot down for saying leisure flying should stop as should attempts to get round the regulations. But the issue of trying to prevent medical examinations is really out of order. I cannot see anything in law to stop a medical examination. Indeed, you are allowed to break lockdown and even avoid quarantine completely on arriving in the UK for medical care.

The idea that you stop people leisure flying by stopping their medical is big brother, but also of medical concern. Many pilots have an ongoing relationship with their AME and may have medical conditions that are being monitored even though they do not preclude a pass. Delaying medicals may cause harm. The vast majority of AMEs also have a day job treating the ill and if we back up AME work it could effect their ability to treat cancer and heart disease. We doctors are being encouraged by one government department to work night and day to deal with waiting lists and by another to refuse to see our patients / pilots. Well done.

asyncio
13th Nov 2020, 14:24
Looks like the CAA are now saying it's basically up to your AME whether they want to do medicals or not.
https://www.aopa.co.uk/news-media/selected-news/item/668-covid-19-class-2-medical-renewals-during-current-lockdown-in-england.html

Maoraigh1
13th Nov 2020, 19:25
That article shows no awareness by the CAA that their aviation remit extends beyond England, nor that different parts of England have different restriction levels.
A direct CAA public document is needed, as an AOPA article is just hearsay.

Forfoxake
18th Nov 2020, 00:04
Still no reference to the different parts of the UK by the CAA, but David Calderwood is now also reporting on the Flyer magazine website that the CAA have backed down over medicals:
By Dave Calderwood (https://www.flyer.co.uk/author/dcalderwood/) | 17th November 2020 9:57 Europe/London

The CAA has backed down on its position that pilots cannot decide whether to have a medical during lockdown. It now says they can now talk to an AeroMedical Examiner (AME) who “can advise and determine whether conducting a certification appointment is justified”.

FLYER highlighted the issue last week here (https://www.flyer.co.uk/caa-doctor-monitors-pilots-during-lockdown/), prompting a quick response and rethink from the CAA.

One AME told us that, “The CAA have accepted that their advice was at variance with the Cabinet Office guidance which stated that individuals may leave home ‘for any medical reason, including to get a Covid-19 test, for medical appointments and emergencies.’

“They have therefore relaxed the previous restrictions that were imposed on Class 2 and LAPL medical examinations during the current lockdown.

“You are now free to attend for your Class 2/LAPL medical if you wish and you do NOT need to email the CAA with your reasons for attending.”

The CAA is also directing pilots to the Pilots Medical Declaration (PMD) which has been extended to some pilots holding EASA licences. See here for that change (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4No1421Correction.pdf).

However, the CAA has not changed its position on monitoring the activity of AMEs on a weekly basis to identify cases where a pilot may be breaching government lockdown restrictions (https://www.flyer.co.uk/lockdown-restrictions-no-sport-or-leisure-flying/).

The CAA’s new position was outlined in a letter to AMEs at the end of last week. Here’s the letter in full:

Dear AME Colleagues,

We recently provided guidance that Class 2 and LAPL medical examinations should not routinely take place during the current COVID lockdown. We have had more feedback on this issue from both the AME and GA flying communities, and following discussion with the DfT, particularly in relation to how our guidance sits with both the Cabinet Office guidance on the Public Health requirement to stay at home to prevent the spread of the virus, and the DfT’s guidance on which GA activities can continue.

Cabinet Office guidance is that individuals may leave home ‘for any medical reason, including to get a COVID-19 test, for medical appointments and emergencies.’ It is the interpretation of ‘any medical reason’ that has caused discussion regarding whether a medical examination for the purpose of a pilot’s licence for recreational flying is included in this definition.

We have therefore agreed that AMEs can advise and determine whether conducting a certification appointment is justified, weighing the risks of attending the appointment with the flight safety assurance it provides, such as to permit, inter alia, the conduct of engine health and maintenance flights or renew currency that will expire imminently, where the pilot cannot use the medical self-declaration system or does not have the benefit a CAA Exemption extending certificate validity.

We encourage AMEs to document discussions with the applicant that inform the decision to undertake the appointment, and if you need support or assistance please contact us in the usual way.