PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on headsets

Walking Ballast
1st Nov 2020, 05:09
Thanks in advance....

My youngest bloke has just started his PPL, I would like to buy him a decent headset for Christmas and am looking for opinions. To date he has used the Schools ANR's and doesn't find them comfortable.

I have owned and used my Proair 2000's for a very very long time and they have stood the test of time, and I wont part with them, they are just starting to break in.... at different times over the years I have replaced the mike, both cans, the boom, the seals, both comfort covers and a plug... but they are still the same as the day I brought them. :)

I have had people recommend Bose, ANR, David Clark..... I know it is a personal thing, but looking for peoples experience, how robust some products are, failures, product support, spares, warrenty etc?

Thks.

mmm345
1st Nov 2020, 06:13
Personally use DC H10's ( the standard green set). Costs around 500-600 price range. Have used throughout flight training and early career. Havent had any problems with them. At times myself and others said that they can feel a bit clampy around the ears and head and sometimes if found my ears getting a tad sore or headaches coming on, but is rare and only every now and again. For the price range they block out a decent amount of noise and havent had any quality issues yet.

in honesty, if i had my time again, i would buy Bose A20s. Whilst very expensive and some may say unnessecary for flight training, they are a career headset and can last for a long period of time and serve both flight training but a signficant part of early GA career.

Ixixly
1st Nov 2020, 09:43
Absolutely LOVE my Lightspeed Zulu 3s and they're still working many years later, have heard their Aftersales Service for the few faults has been pretty good.

As a thought, Headsets are a very personal choice, have you considered giving him a gift card for a Flight Store instead? That way he can go in and try a few then select the one he wants? https://www.flightstore.com.au/gifts/gift-vouchers/ Flight Store have them but can talk to your local joint and I'm sure they'll be happy to oblige :)

Checkboard
1st Nov 2020, 09:54
Or make it a parent/son thing and have a day out, headset shopping. :) Just write that on a card.

717tech
1st Nov 2020, 22:26
Started off (and still own) the old green David Clarke 13.4. It does clamp on my head and hurt my ears after a full day of flying.

Now I use the Bose Aviation X (original version I believe), will never look back. Very comfortable and the noise cancelling is fantastic. I've had mine for almost 10yrs now and the after sale support from Bose was above and beyond. They fully refurbished it for me when it was well out of warranty. I won't hesitate to replace this with the A20 if/when the time calls for it.

Some mates have the Light speed equivalent and they seem to be happy as Larry too.

Left 270
2nd Nov 2020, 01:03
On top of the ANR recommendations above.Consider the lightspeed Sierras as a more entry level unit. They were my first headset and served me well. But if you’re wanting to buy one headset now, that’ll serve a decade. Zulus or A20. Personal preference as to which, I’ve owned both, both have their positives.

rjtjrt
2nd Nov 2020, 01:12
Or make it a parent/son thing and have a day out, headset shopping. :) Just write that on a card.
What a good way to give him what he wants, and have a memorable day for both.

gchriste
2nd Nov 2020, 01:13
Plus one for the Lightspeed Sierra. I bought them for my training when I got sick of sharing the flight school David Clarks. While the DC work well, they are light and day apart from a good ANR headset, much less clamp pressure. For a one hour flight lesson you may well get away with the DC, but once he gets his PPL, or gets to the Nav stage, for a 2-3 hour flight the ANR are much better.

Also, their service and support is fantastic. After having mine for around 4 years I sent them in for a service. Only thing I paid was the freight to local service centre, even though out of warranty, they serviced for free.

While I now use a set of Bose A20, the Sierra were great value for money.

Plus one plug for their flight bags as well, but a bit expensive.

Walking Ballast
2nd Nov 2020, 04:29

Best idea ever.... thank you. Didn't even think of that.

Thank you all for your input. I now have a very well thought out solution... gift card and a shopping trip

Checkboard
2nd Nov 2020, 11:27
You may end up buying two! ;)

Blueskymine
2nd Nov 2020, 12:08
The Bose A20 wins hand down. Worn the DCs, the Zulus etc.

I still use the A20s in my airline gig and they are fantastic.

golfbananajam
2nd Nov 2020, 13:18
I used to have the older versions of these https://www.pilot-europe.com/product-page/pa18-79 and they were comfortable enough for a couple of hours continuous use.

Sadly I no longer fly due to medical reasons.