PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Kenyon RIP

paddyboy
28th Oct 2020, 20:34
Blue skies Dennis.

You did so much for the rotary world and will be never be forgotten.

RIP

finalchecksplease
28th Oct 2020, 21:45
Sad to hear this, a true gent and very skilled pilot. RIP

MightyGem
28th Oct 2020, 21:59
Very sad news. RIP, Dennis. :(

Watson1963
28th Oct 2020, 22:07
Very sad. Dennis was kind enough to entertain a mere spotter, spending time showing me round his H369 at Redhill, and offering me a seat on a rotor track/balance flight with the engineer. He didn't need to do that. A natural enthusiast of the industry and a real gent. Happy landings, sir.

Sir Korsky
28th Oct 2020, 22:08
Yup, don't make them like Dennis anymore. Super guy and great advocate for the community. Landing on a cloud shortly. Condolences to the family.

Tribute to the gent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdEDSK3nzw&feature=emb_logo

formerlongbox
28th Oct 2020, 22:17
I knew Dennis for over 33 years, taught me so much, taught me to fly, did my DA rating, a gent a pilot a fabulous character of the rotary world who we will never see the likes of again miss you so much you debonair Gent

Sleeve Wing
28th Oct 2020, 23:25
Blue skies, Dennis. Met you then watched your display at North Weald some years ago. Absolutely amazing, very skilled flying. Apparently impossible manoeuvres made possible. Brilliant. Another who'll be greatly missed. RIP

nomorehelosforme
29th Oct 2020, 00:15
Sad news, enjoyed reading everything he had to say on this forum.... and watching his videos!!!! RIP

krypton_john
29th Oct 2020, 01:50
Very sad to hear this, but Dennis lived a great life and that's something to celebrate.

I had hoped to fly with Dennis one day, sad that will never happen now.

Obit here: https://helihub.com/2020/10/28/obituary-dennis-kenyon-3-october-1932-28-october-2020/

industry insider
29th Oct 2020, 03:08
I didn't know Dennis but I always really admired his flying ability and contributions to our industry and profession. What a humble and really great man. Thank you Dennis for all you did for the helicopter world.

Bell_ringer
29th Oct 2020, 05:18
We had briefly corresponded, he was a genuine gentleman.
was fortunate enough to see some of his enstrom flying.
He really lived a full life.

RIP.

helicrazi
29th Oct 2020, 06:40
RIP Dennis

Topcat01
29th Oct 2020, 07:43
A great friend sadly missed by all and a great inspiration to young and aspiring pilots

muffin
29th Oct 2020, 08:33
RIP Dennis. A real gentleman.

Michael Gee
29th Oct 2020, 09:44
Dennis flew with me once in my Gazelle discussing it against the 500 ! Great bloke - greatly missed by many for sure
RIP

CRAN
29th Oct 2020, 10:20
RIP Dennis.

CRAN

bvgs
29th Oct 2020, 10:56
I was lucky enough to do my Enstrom conversion with Dennis. He was such tremendous patience and wouldn't hear of me staying in a hotel and put me up in his house. I had a week of the best flying experiences of my life and equally the best stories. His retirement do was a hoot. Rest in Peace my old friend x

homonculus
29th Oct 2020, 13:57
Dennis did my 500 conversion. Nothing was too much trouble. He never rushed, was always charming, and he oozed confidence. Sadly our paths only rarely crossed after that but he will always be one of a handful of pilots I will look up to and try in some small way to emulate.

Nickheli
29th Oct 2020, 14:10
As with so many others on this site I just wanted to say a huge thanks to Dennis.

Quite simply, without his time and generosity, I would never have achieved my dream of flying helicopters. Once qualified, again his generosity in letting me do many positioning flights and deliveries on his behalf was invaluable in gaining the experience I now have. It was a pleasure and indeed an honour to call him a friend. He will be greatly missed.

Nick Crewdson.

heli1
29th Oct 2020, 17:54
I also did my Enstrom training with Dennis/ Tony Clarke at Booker ...in 1983, but knew him from the mid-1970s....simply splendid man. He even restored my Grandfather Clock for me at one time. I was also fortunate to witness some of his display flying ,including at the world championships in the UK when the Enstrom tail rotor control cable broke and he did a perfect run on landing.
So many memories......so many anecdotes...

treadigraph
29th Oct 2020, 18:45
Only knew him though postings on here (he once suggested I might organise another air display at Croydon - me? :\ He approached the CAA who were cautiously in favour !) and his articles in Flyer - and his excellent Enstrom and Schweizer displays... he always came across as a really nice guy.

I recall a display at Biggin that went on rather longer than intended with an unruly t/r - Dennis beat it into submission eventually and left the Schweizer sulking on the grass where they fetched up, some way from the other display aircraft.

RIP

WHBM
29th Oct 2020, 22:23
Blue Skies Dennis, and I hope you enjoyed life as much as you seemed to. Did a spectacular low-level display at London City when they used to do Saturday afternoon open days/airshows. A completely non-aviation mum standing nearby suddenly paid attention, saying "Goodness, I didn't know you could do things like that with helicopters".

Chris Brook
30th Oct 2020, 00:45
Top chap. I only met him briefly, but his enthusiasm and charisma was inspirational to many young aviators like me.

JerryG
30th Oct 2020, 01:42
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that, and also mortified that I couldn't get back for his retirement do. We flew together on Black Hawk Down, me in a Huey and Den in a 500. I don't think I've ever laughed so much in the space of a week as when listening to his stories. We both spent the week behaving on the ground together like naughty children. I will miss you old chap, but I reckon there will be a few angels who will be queueing up to improve their flying skills . R.I.P.

TiPwEiGhT
30th Oct 2020, 12:54
Blue skies and tails winds Dennis. A sad loss to the industry.

rotorfan
30th Oct 2020, 14:44
I only “knew” him via this forum, although had heard his name. There are a few people in my life that I regret never having the chance to meet, and Mr. Kenyon is one of those. For those that knew him personally, I’m sorry for your loss.

jez d
30th Oct 2020, 15:20
The last time I saw Dennis was when he visited in early 2018 to do what turned out to be his last ever DA renewal under the watchful eye of John Beatie. Man and machine in absolute harmony.

He gave me a copy of his recently released thriller 'Dangerous Appointment' and here's his author's note:

"Occasionally, I'm asked why I wrote this story. The answer is I once found myself in a Menominee hotel a day too early for an Aviation Seminar. The outside temperature was forty degrees below freezing... the nearby lake Michigan was frozen over. With time on my hands, I hired a snowmobile and drove a few miles out to see the pack ice. The deadly quiet and absolute cold hostility of that place had me thinking... what a perfect setting for a nasty piece of skullduggery. The story you are about to read was conceived right there and then.

"Alistair Craig is not me... although I have relied heavily on my own travel and flying experience and once made the flight I describe. Some characters are based on aviation friends for originality and if you recognise yourself... I ask forbearance.

"The locations and place names are not real but 'Top Risk' was a real racer. A fine horse I have ridden and loved. The Champagne Princess was a real yacht, too, but I do not know who owns her now.

"And finally the politics of my story will of course change as will the value of money. I just pray future years will see our world problems resolved."

Dennis Kenyon
Kings Cable
England

March 2018

Winnie
30th Oct 2020, 18:33
Sad day,

RIP Dennis.

Gulfstreamaviator
31st Oct 2020, 12:55
So very sad to hear of his leaving us. A great friend and a complete gentleman with such a wicked sense of humor, the only professional pilot I met who had the complete confidence to wear a watch with Mickey Mouse hands! Fly safe up there.

timprice
1st Nov 2020, 08:05
Great loss to our industry a pioneer.
Dennis gave me a job when I first started out, he was great fun to be around.
RIP.
Tim

Pofman
1st Nov 2020, 11:01
A great loss to the helicopter world. Very skilled pilot, fun to be around, and let us not forget the chance to fly helicopters he gave those through his scholarship scheme. RIP Dennis!

Mike Newman
2nd Nov 2020, 18:20
Oh no, how sad. I was very lucky to share an unexpected lunch with him 10-11 years ago, a truly wonderful, humble and charming gentleman with some incredible stories and a breathtakingly gifted pilot. I hope he is enjoying a very high hover as we write!

helispeediii
3rd Nov 2020, 12:35
Den what a guy,!! I was in business with him along with bill @ redhill, he knew how to push the envelope, taught me a lot if sandra around god bless best rip den ,chris s helispeed iii ps den keep up those eol

Phororhacos
3rd Nov 2020, 14:00
This is sad news. I had to look at my logbook to see that it was almost exactly 14 years since he did part of my Enstrom Conversion.

Buttocknurdler
4th Nov 2020, 20:13
Den what a guy,!! I was in business with him along with bill @ redhill, he knew how to push the envelope, taught me a lot if sandra around god bless best rip den ,chris s helispeed iii ps den keep up those eol

Chris, I was with you at Redhill in 1994 when I joined the Hughes 500 Club, run by Dennis and Bill (I still have the jacket). Dennis did my H369 type conversion. I'll never forget him showing me how to land it with simulated stuck pedals. His control over the helicopter was masterly. RIP Dennis.

Dennis at Enstrom
5th Nov 2020, 15:24
To say we are saddened by this loss is an understatement. Dennis is a legend here at the factory, and will live on along with names such as Rudy Enstrom, Jack Christensen, and Lee Burdue. He was certainly instrumental in the success of Enstrom, and judging by the above posts he was instrumental to the success of many of others as well. What a legacy!

We still talk to people who have seen his displays and ask us, "Can you really do that in a helicopter?" (Answer: He can, you can't.) He'll be missed. A lot.

From your family in Menominee....Godspeed Dennis!

Sincerely,
Dennis Martin
Director of Sales & Marketing
Enstrom Helicopter Corp.

Bomber ARIS
9th Nov 2020, 06:18
Sad, sad news.

After seeing Dennis' exploits online, I got in touch with him via PPRuNe.

When I eventually made it to the UK, he very kindly arranged for us to fly together in a Hughes 300 belonging to a friend of his. We spent a delightful afternoon in 2012 flying in to Shoreham for generous helpings of sandwiches and engine off landings, followed by more tail rotor failure stories than any one man deserves.

Thank you again for for being so generous with your experience.

Gaseous
10th Nov 2020, 00:54
Dennis contacted me after I posted a picture of my Enstrom BDKD on here. He was generous with his time and he told good tales of the early days at Spooners. He had a genuine fondness for and even remembered all the little details of an aircraft he had sold half a lifetime ago. A great pilot and true gent. Bon Voyage!

GC47G
24th Nov 2020, 19:15
Will never be replaced in my time for-sure, and was a pleasure for you to do my 500 rating then deliver It to me , R.I.P ........ Dennis.

GC47G
24th Nov 2020, 19:37
RIP Dennis ..... It was a privilege for you to do my 500 hundred rating last year , then deliver the one I bought and stay with us that weekend last year . Will sadly miss .

WHBM
24th Nov 2020, 20:04
There was a pleasant thread here regarding Dennis some years ago

Dennis Kenyon - PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/497050-dennis-kenyon.html)