PDA

View Full Version : Dragon's Demise: an epic failure of governance

Karrupted
26th Oct 2020, 12:18
Well, we've all had a few days to absorb the shock assassination of Dragonair (I can't bring myself to refer to its rebranded name), and there's something about it that needs to be acknowledged - sure, it leaves a bitter taste in everyone's mouth, but there is a deeper, systemic rot in the whole HK aviation game that has led to this travesty.
What I am referring to is the way Cathay Pacific, the robber barons of the HK flying game, have been allowed, over decades, to slowly strangle and suffocate any semblance of competition, and the loser has been the people of Hong Kong, including the 6000 or so pilots and flight attendants and ancillary staff who have been neatly severed from their adopted corporate body, a sacrifice to the inept and corrupt boardrooms that engineered this scenario.
Melodramatic? Really? How can the government, which pretends to represent the good people of Hong Kong, the government that has thrown billions of tax revenue dollars at Chep Lap Kok (even more with the new runway development and road connections), see this outcome as anything other than a victory for corporate monopolies ... it's been a long time coming, but in truth the takeover of KA by CX in 2006 had nothing to do with business synergies: it was simply a way to block further competition by hording landing slots and this has stifled any form of healthy competition. If the merger had been overruled by the government in the interest of maintaining competition I would imagine that Dragonair would not have been allowed to fall over, and the people of Hong Kong would have still had a choice when it comes to flying, a choice which has all but evaporated.
I don't have the inside running on all this, and I haven't been personally affected by the closure of KA, but I'm sure there are people in the HK government, quite apart from the former employees of Dragonair, who are ruing the day they allowed CX to swallow this great little airline which served the people of Hong Kong safely and professionally, for 35 years.
What a disgrace!

Flex88
26th Oct 2020, 15:05
How long, if at all, have you lived in Hong Kong ??

It is, to quote Lee Kuan Yew, business (aviation) with Asian Values !! Add to that the "influence" from the corrupt gang to the North and this is the tragedy they leave in their wake... Of course in concurrence with a litany of inept cuckhold CX managers... I use the word "managers" very very loosely.

Meikleour
26th Oct 2020, 16:14
Karrupted: There is a long history of political interference between CX and KA going back to the mid-80s. CNAC used their political power to force CX to give up PEK and PVG routes to KA otherwise they would not have survived. The present turn of events is yet another chapter in the sparring between CITIC and CNAC!

mngmt mole
26th Oct 2020, 16:22
I've been saying for some time now that CX is no place to put the hopes and dreams of any individual and their families. If there was ever any doubt about it, the execution of KA should remove that once and for all. With the stroke of a pen, they have destroyed a 35 year old airline, and the thousands of staff and their families. Going forward, never mind the appalling COS being imposed, think about how insecure every moment of your career will be. CX now will have draconian powers of dismissal, out of seniority. Effectively they have created an airline that is the modern day equivalent of the salt mines. You'll be worked to the bone, receiving minimal compensation, poor health care (which will leave you penniless if you or or family member should suffer serious illness or injury) and any transgressions (as defined by Flt Ops managers) will likely result in quick dismissal. They will always look to make an example of someone on a regular basis to keep the rest in line. With no contract to speak of, there is no certainty regarding anything that constitutes a proper aviation career. quae sunt monuit.

Killaroo
26th Oct 2020, 17:34
Pretty much the same as HKA then!
What a ****ty outcome.

Zapp_Brannigan
27th Oct 2020, 00:04
Except that at HKA, it's not 15 years to command.
I really feel sorry for our senior FOs: No more increment after 3 or 4 years and 15 years to a command. It's a **** sandwich for all, but even more for some.

​​​​​​Get out of there as soon as you can.

​​​​​

SaulGoodman
27th Oct 2020, 12:48
Isn’t this about Dragonair? If any flights will happen in the near future it is short haul. That makes it even harder to swallow. I wish every ex-dragon all the best in their future careers.

Sue Ridgepipe
31st Oct 2020, 05:59
What's the situation for the Aussie crew affected by this and trying to get back home? I believe there's already a very long list of Aussie expats from around the world trying to get back in but the government is making it difficult at the moment with their restrictions.

krismiler
31st Oct 2020, 14:04
Supposedly all back home by Christmas, 2 weeks quarantine at own expense on arrival.

lucille
31st Oct 2020, 14:27
All the more brutal when you remember the company has encouraged crew to invest in real estate in HK. This meant taking on ferociousLy high mortgages.
How are they expected to sell up and clear those mortgages in less than three months?

deja vu
1st Nov 2020, 09:15
Karrupted: There is a long history of political interference between CX and KA going back to the mid-80s. CNAC used their political power to force CX to give up PEK and PVG routes to KA otherwise they would not have survived. The present turn of events is yet another chapter in the sparring between CITIC and CNAC!
Very sad situation indeed, my sympathy to all at KA and for that matter those left in CX.
But if KA has been consigned to history, lets please make it accurate history, unlike the tosh from Meikleour and similar long held myths.

Meikleour
1st Nov 2020, 09:45
deja vu: I was in Hong Kong when KA started up with a single B737 and then a wet-leased L1011 from CX and knew several of the crew involved. Please explain which part of what I said is inaccurate?