PDA

View Full Version : Part 91 rest requirements

Bigguyme
24th Oct 2020, 03:51
I fly jet for a part 135 company. And occasionally do a part 91 flight. Everyone says there are no part 91 rest requirements but 91.1057(f) and part 91.1059 says there are rest requirements. Can anyone quote a reg that says there are no 91 rest requirements

91.1057(f) Each flight assignment must provide for at least 10 consecutive hours of rest during the 24-hour period that precedes the completion time of the assignment.

91.1059 doesn’t paste very well

340drvr
24th Oct 2020, 12:08
We're talking US/FAA FARs; Note that all regs 91.1001 through 91.1443 are under Subpart K - Fractional Ownership Operations. If you're not under one of those, like Netjets or others, those regs don't apply. If you operate strictly Part 91, say a corporate pilot in the company's privately owned aircraft, then there is no rest/duty hours requirements. That said, if an incident or worse were to occur, the FAA could use the general 91.13 Careless or reckless clause against a pilot. Also, if you're talking about 135 and 91, yes, you can legally "time out" your 135 duty period, then fly (an empty) plane under 91, say to return to base, for as long as you might wish. But, you'd have to satisfy 135 rest period before being assigned another flight.
Most decent Part 91 flight departments would have their own ops manual, providing reasonable duty/rest guidlines for the sake of safety. There are abuses, of course, and in that case, my advice would be find another job.

Bigguyme
24th Oct 2020, 12:27
Thanks for helping out. This has been driving me nuts. My plane is owned by at least 2 owners and my company charters it out. Everyone I talk to and I believe also there are no rest requirements for part 91 but no one can quote a reg. I’ve looked up the sub part K (thanks to you) and it also looks to apply. I hate to quote the regs to the boss but you know how this goes. It’s a prove me wrong...sir situation. I’ve been flying part 121 for years so this is new territory for me.
again, thank you

havick
25th Oct 2020, 03:38
Thanks for helping out. This has been driving me nuts. My plane is owned by at least 2 owners and my company charters it out. Everyone I talk to and I believe also there are no rest requirements for part 91 but no one can quote a reg. I’ve looked up the sub part K (thanks to you) and it also looks to apply. I hate to quote the regs to the boss but you know how this goes. It’s a prove me wrong...sir situation. I’ve been flying part 121 for years so this is new territory for me.
again, thank you

Doesn’t sound like 91K regs apply to your situation.

Tinstaafl
25th Oct 2020, 07:44
If 91K applied to you, you'd know it. There are requirements for approved Operations & Training Manuals, certain personnel etc. Part 91K deals with fractional ownership, which isn't the same as a partnership.

avionimc
25th Oct 2020, 20:30
plane is owned by at least 2 owners and my company charters it outCAVEAT, looks like to be "illegal charter flights." If something happens, incident or else, or if someone reports the activity to the FAA, you could be in real trouble, with your certificate suspended or revoked.

NB. Even if this is happening overseas with a N-registered aircraft, the PIC will be held responsible.

mutt
26th Oct 2020, 03:35
there are no rest requirements for part 91 but no one can quote a reg you wont find a regulation for something that doesn’t exist.

ksjc
26th Oct 2020, 13:59
FARs mandate what we MUST do....not what we don’t need to do. Now see if you can find mention of Part 91 IFR approach weather minima.