PDA

View Full Version : Paul Phelan. Passing

runway16
20th Oct 2020, 02:46
The latest issue of AF magazine notes that Aviation Firebrand Paul Phelan passed away recently.

aroa
20th Oct 2020, 04:15
Was a thread re some months ago
A very great loss to investigative aviation journalism in this country.
He will be long remembered..
RIP PP

Capt Fathom
20th Oct 2020, 05:40
He only passed away in August! I couldn't find anything here or in the media except the recent Australian Flying article.

COVID may have robbed him of the send off he deserved. (as it has with many)! :(

tail wheel
21st Oct 2020, 03:17
Only last week I was thinking of calling Paul and June to make sure they were still vertical.

Paul was originally a pilot with (I think??) Davey Air Services, went to Bushies, Cairns as a pilot, became Commercial Manager and was responsible for Bushies Resort development at the Tip of Cape York, Lizard Island and Dunk Island. Paul left and took up journalism when TAA bought Bushies.

Paul was a great aviation investigative journalist, the nemesis of CASA where I am sure many would sigh with relief at the news.

Paul used to distil his own spirits in the back shed, "Much cheaper than a store bought case of Scotch". I remember when Paul and June moved to Canberra many years ago the removalists refused to carry his distilled alcohol - over 100 litres - and Paul complaining he had to hire a trailer to transport it Cairns to Canberra. Hope he wasn't cremated in the dry season..........

Sad, RIP Paul. You certainly had an impact on Australian aviation. :uhoh:

wombat watcher
21st Oct 2020, 04:29
Only last week I was thinking of calling Paul and June to make sure they were still vertical.

Paul was originally a pilot with (I think??) Davey Air Services, went to Bushies, Cairns as a pilot, became Commercial Manager and was responsible for Bushies Resort development at the Tip of Cape York, Lizard Island and Dunk Island. Paul left and took up journalism when TAA bought Bushies.

Paul was a great aviation investigative journalist, the nemesis of CASA where I am sure many would sigh with relief at the news.

Paul used to distil his own spirits in the back shed, "Much cheaper than a store bought case of Scotch". I remember when Paul and June moved to Canberra many years ago the removalists refused to carry his distilled alcohol - over 100 litres - and Paul complaining he had to hire a trailer to transport it Cairns to Canberra. Hope he wasn't cremated in the dry season..........

Sad, RIP Paul. You certainly had an impact on Australian aviation. :uhoh:

Yes Davey Airservices out of Dubbo, late 1960s

DeRated
22nd Oct 2020, 01:13
Country Air, Rockhampton about 1973/74.

tail wheel
22nd Oct 2020, 19:10
Yes, Paul was at Country Air (http://airlinehistory.co.uk/airline/country-air-services/), I'd forgotten that. CountryAir was based at Rocky.

knight kevlar
22nd Oct 2020, 23:46
Paul also flew a C421 for a developer whilst inRocky and was a driving force behind an air show which was staged there .

zlin77
23rd Oct 2020, 11:57
I met Paul in Rocky in 1974 ,he was then working for a REG 203 operation flying Cessna 402s, Nation Air if my memory is correct, servicing Emerald, Blackwater and other destinations, the two other pilots were Kerry Lovegrove & Darryl Mayfield, after this folded up Paul flew a C421 for someone for a short time as well as casual charter work, I was in Countryair then and did a trip in an Aztec to various stops in Western QLD for BHP, as their company rule was to travel in only aircraft crewed by two pilots, I had the pleasure of Paul occupying the RHS for a few days.

I contacted June shortly after Paul's passing, as he was in Victoria and all the Covid drama was going on, it denied the chance for his family to see him at the end, a true Gentleman and an iconic aviation character.......fair skies Paul and smooth landings.

HarleyD2
27th Oct 2020, 05:12
Blue Skies and Tailwinds for Paul,
I only just saw this news and was deeply saddened.

An industry Icon and a friendly and welcoming bloke willing to share drinks and a chat with old (or new) friends, anywhere, any time. you will be missed.

HD