PDA

View Full Version : H125 Seatbelt

berwynnz
19th Oct 2020, 14:45
Hi , this is a question for those who operate the H125 with the new style seatbelt inertia reel in cold climates. The enclosed inertia reels for the shoulder straps on our B3s do not work at all once the temperature drops below about minus 10....they won’t retract properly and I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this or has experienced this problem as well?

Gordy
19th Oct 2020, 19:27
Hi , this is a question for those who operate the H125 with the new style seatbelt inertia reel in cold climates. The enclosed inertia reels for the shoulder straps on our B3s do not work at all once the temperature drops below about minus 10....they won’t retract properly and I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this or has experienced this problem as well?
Put a heater in the aircraft--it would also make the pilots a little happier....... (Sorry--could not resist).

nomorehelosforme
19th Oct 2020, 20:34
Put a heater in the aircraft--it would also make the pilots a little happier....... (Sorry--could not resist).

Probably as much as you need A/C in yours Gordy.... (Sorry could not resist)

Gordy
20th Oct 2020, 18:01
Probably as much as you need A/C in yours Gordy.... (Sorry could not resist)

Ha, Yep you know it.... 116 F was the high I saw here this year.

berwynnz
21st Oct 2020, 02:38
Haha....I am the pilot😂 And yes I did kinda set myself up for that one. -30 outside = heater cranked inside!!

GS Pilot
25th Oct 2020, 23:18
Subscribed to this one...we currently have two reels out of service on our B3's here on Hoth.
-22c today.

Saint Jack
28th Oct 2020, 03:05
Hi berwynnz, Despite some of the light-hearted replies to your query, the problem you are facing is safety-related and should be taken seriously. For example; if the helicopter is involved in an accident with passengers on board and it is found that the seats belt mechanisms were known to be defective, whether or not they were contributory to any injuries, then stand well back - the smart-ass lawyers will eat someone for breakfast - don't let it be you. The correct course of action at the moment, in my humble opinion, is to contact your local Airbus Helicopters technical representative and explain the problem to him/her and ask for a resolution. However, having said that I must point out that my experience with Aerospatiale/Eurocopter/Airbus Helicopters tech reps, albeit about 20 years ago, is that they'll either tell you to buy new seat belt assemblies, or remove them and send them back to the factory, or buy a new helicopter. Another avenue that may be open to you is to submit a warranty claim explaining in detail what the problem is and emphasize that you want the problem solved. Good luck.

Agile
28th Oct 2020, 03:45
Thank you for Saint Jack for the common sense injection

I think many of us experience this problem on aging automobile. (The AS350 is known for using some automobile standard parts, such as the warning horn from a Renault)
I always assumed that with an old belts the problem was that the gue and dirt inside the nylon belt is stiffening up, plus the UV exposure could be hardening the belt.
As the result, when cold, the strap is overwhelming the return spring particularly toward the end when the spring is not highly loaded.

I have this supposition to be discussed:
1/ clean the belt in hot water with detergent and condition it with some silicon lotion (improve softness and friction)
2/ send the whole unit to a automobile seat belt overhauler for a new belt install.

Second choice is probably highly illegal. forget I ever mentioned it
but it's readily available and would only cost a $100 max,
a number of them let you choose your own belt color,
I think car restaurators do it as legal practice

How about the 1st idea, is it possible to do in the context of normal maintenance?

Saint Jack
29th Oct 2020, 01:27
Agile; The first supposition to clean the belt is perfectly acceptable but perhaps with warm water, not hot water, and with a mild soap rather than a detergent. Personally. I would avoid silicones like the plague, but that's just me. Of course cleaning the seat-belt fabric will improve its appearance but may not correct the problem of inadequate retraction force. And yes, cleaning the seat-belts can be regarded as normal maintenance.
Your second supposition of sending the whole unit to an automobile seat-belt overhauler for a new belt installation, and a colour of your choice, still may not correct the problem of inadequate retraction force. But it may determine and correct the problem with the inertia reel. From experience I can tell you that the practice of replacing seat-belt fabric this way is more common that you may think, I've done it myself. BUT, insist on a proof-load certificate, or statement, before putting it back into the helicopter.