PDA

View Full Version : FTE starting course

Gioinve99
19th Oct 2020, 09:45
Anyone about to start the course at FTEJerez in november or within the next few months?

Field Required
19th Oct 2020, 11:03
Are you mad?

Gioinve99
19th Oct 2020, 12:02
no, i'm asking!!

Field Required
19th Oct 2020, 12:23
Anyone starting any sort of Integrated flight training currently needs their heads examining. The premise one could start now to get ahead and be ready just simply doesn't work. Airlines are going broke and there's no sign of improvement anytime soon. Throwing 100k into the fire is of no use to anyone. By the time you finish the very best you can hope for is for any airline to still be in business! Notwithstanding the thousands of experienced guys ahead of you.

Gioinve99
19th Oct 2020, 12:45
yes most likely it will be like this, but sooner or later everything will start again and there will be another shortage of pilots.

Field Required
19th Oct 2020, 12:55
There will be a shortage of pilots... because of a shortage of airlines... because of a shortage of passengers... because of a shortage of Covid Vaccinations. I have a shortage of keys.

Gioinve99
19th Oct 2020, 13:02
at this point the world ends? with tha entire global economy......

allert
19th Oct 2020, 13:34
yes most likely it will be like this, but sooner or later everything will start again and there will be another shortage of pilots.

Really? That's alright then, why have we all been panicking all this time :}

Do people still going into Integrated training not read what's happening in the world right now? Please be realistic and face the facts.

PapaEchoNovember
19th Oct 2020, 13:57
Anyone starting an integrated course in the second half of 2020 will never get a job in Europe, they’ll fail the mandatory EASA psychological assessment when they go for any airline interview.

Gioinve99
19th Oct 2020, 14:00
Sorry but, what do you mean?

PapaEchoNovember
19th Oct 2020, 14:04
Completely unrelated, would you interested in purchasing some magic beans? Plant them and the tree will grow money for your integrated course, and to keep your 737/320 rating current incase you don’t get a job after you graduate from FTE. Not that you’ll need it, there will be a shortage of pilots next year!

Gioinve99
19th Oct 2020, 14:20
I agree that even for 2021/2022 the demand for pilots will be nil, these perspectives are very changeable according to the course of the situation, but I really think that everything will start again.

frogone
19th Oct 2020, 14:25
As eloquently alluded to above, I would hold off parting with a substantial sum of cash now on an ab-initio course. If you are just out of high-school I'd consider some college course for a few years (preferably non-aviation related) and see what state the industry is in down the line. In the meantime maybe do a PPL if you want to get flying but I wouldn't go any further than that. Just my 2 cents.

Gioinve99
19th Oct 2020, 14:35
Yeah, that is an intelligent idea, because also a degree is important in aviation right now. But I'm looking only if there is someone that is going to start at fte or that is currently doing the course in order to ask him/her some questions.

Wirbelsturm
19th Oct 2020, 14:52
Optimistic to be sure.

I'm sure the remaining, slimmed down and streamlined airlines will be crying out for newly minted, inexperienced pilots when there is a vast raft of highly experienced laid off flight crew available who are cheaper to train back up and have a proven record.

Good luck.

Perhaps 5 years but 1 or 2? Not in my humble opinion.

Field Required
19th Oct 2020, 15:36
Call FTE and ask them all the questions in the world... they’ll be more than happy to answer... in fact they may even bite your hand off and send you a ‘free information pack’ complete with a free lanyard. Then for just a small fee you could visit them to sit in their shiny planes and post as many pilot selfies as you like on your social media. Then for just a little bit more you could pay to fly said shiny plane and it goes on and on and on...

lederhosen
19th Oct 2020, 16:02
Without wanting to encourage anyone too much, I would point out that generally the best time to start (not to finish!) training is in a downturn. That has certainly been the case in the past. At what point in the downturn it makes sense to jump back in is the question. For those with long memories BA did not hire anyone for around ten years in the seventies and eighties. I know a few people who spent twenty years in the right seat, followed by a generation where some people got a wide body command (767) relatively quickly.

PilotLZ
19th Oct 2020, 16:54
The truth is, nobody knows how this is going to play out. If you start now, you will finish in spring 2022 or thereabouts. After that, if you factor in 12-18 months to find a job, you might not be far off that timeline. Just be realistic about the situation and have a plan B in case it takes you one or two years to get a job following course completion. The aforementioned plan B should include how you're going to cover your living expenses and how you're going to stay current flying-wise and maintain a good level of theoretical knowledge. Also, make sure that you get a comprehensive loss of training expenses insurance as no school is completely financially secure, especially these days and no matter what the marketing department tell you.

Wirbelsturm
19th Oct 2020, 16:58
Just a note of caution. In a 'normal' downturn airlines might park up a hull or two but often they will just alter rotations and utilise aircraft less thus reducing the need for flight crew as the seasonal flying will be reduced albeit often with increased downtime. At this point headcount reductions are made as the new fleet plans require less flight crew. When the industry 'picks up' those hulls are already there and their utilisation increases increasing the need for flight crew.

This mess is fundamentally different. 'Some' people want to fly but the vast majority are confused by the mess of differing requirements, rules, tests and quarantines that it makes flying simply not worth the effort. Airlines have reduced and scrapped aircraft. An A380 is crewed at around 8-10 crews per airframe, the jumbo was similar. Those aircraft are gone. Not parked, gone. Airframe utilisation is right down at bottom and still companies are laying off flight crew.

This is not a normal downturn. This will take concerted, coordinated effort from all countries of the world to produce a standardised, safe and accurate system of ensuring safe flights from COVID. Personally I don't think we will see a return to 2019 levels for at least 5-6 years. LH pilots will migrate back to SH to keep current and then will trickle back to LH as the routes open up.

By all means go for flight training if that is what your heart is set on but be well aware that the time scales may be long and you might need to budget for keeping your shiny CPL valid while all of the 1000+ experienced, qualified and type rated pilots are sucked up ahead of you.

(Lederhosen, some got the 767 as it was a 'dying' fleet which dropped LH to do SH and no-one wanted it. SH became so onerous that you could get a command within a year or two. Lifestyle has become the currency of choice for fleet decisions at BA!)

Christopher Robin
19th Oct 2020, 17:03
Hi Gioinve99,

If its your dream go for it !!! I cannot tell you how many times I have been told this or that will never work in aviation and I wish you all the best,

Shytehawk
19th Oct 2020, 17:07
There will be hundreds of qualified pilots for every job that comes up for years to come.

sms8
19th Oct 2020, 17:38
Is it fair to say that 'all' more experienced crew/captains/FO's will work for a wage as low as a freshly minted cadet? is it financially viable to them? I agree It's going to be a few years before flight deck jobs will emerge. I suspect many will leave the industry and not return...some have and will retire. Common sense that people who have lost their jobs who aren't near retirement will have to find alternative careers many have financial commitments which won't wait until they can get re-hired and as things stand that's not going to be for a little while for many.

I feel there is a frequent albeit somewhat warranted pessimistic view point across pprune, bucking the trend here I feel the industry will recover fairly quickly essentially once quarantine restrictions are lifted people will be keen to have their holiday that they missed and business travel should increase (yes I hear the online meeting arguments but frankly for me it's not close to face to face).

In my opinion there certainly are pathways I can see that will lead to this... 1) Vaccination (Pfizer is producing, Oxford/Astra Zeneca is close) 2) Faster and hopefully more affordable covid tests (technology is already emerging with 15 min tests) 3) A worldwide agreement policy on travel and covid along with immunity passports. I do think the biggest thorn in the side will be the state of the world economies, I think this will dictate how strong recovery may be.

Certainly it's a high risk time to train... but ultimately things will return it'll be a case of when not if, it's common human nature for people to think the current state will remain, good or bad, however the situation is very dynamic and even the airline top brass are unsure .... O.P I think it depends on your age and financial situation if you have age on your side a degree may be useful better yet some work/life experience is invaluable...ultimately only you know. I'm just not sure I'd recommend anyone taking on a big debt right now unless they are sure of their financial ability to pay it and keep current if needed..some go modular and that's an argument also... and a whole new topic of discussion ;-)

Personally I think 2022 will be a much stronger year if the vaccine has good results and enough can be produced... 2023 much closer to 2019 levels maybe a chance for jobs then.... I note certain airlines still committed to Neo's and 737 Max's...

I also note that there is a growing Covid fatigue, many getting sick of restrictions and hindrance to their life's (including myself) do we honestly feel that many people will just get more de-sensitised with time?...I do...

All my humble opinion of course!

Wirbelsturm
19th Oct 2020, 17:57
Nothing that is said is going to change the OP's mind anyway. Personally I would just offer a word of caution. Sadly there are many, many pilots who, just a couple of years ago, were looking at the same thing when there was an upswing in the industry and COVID wasn't even heard of who are now struggling to pay off huge debts (that terrible situation is another argument altogether imho) to training organisations without a job.

I've been in the flying world for a long time and I've never seen this level of confusion in this industry. Unless there is a coordinated effort to get the travel industry back on its feet between businesses and Governments then this recovery will be the survival of the fittest and a return to expensive travel for the few for quite some time to come.

I hope the vaccines will be the 'silver bullet' I truly do but until they show more efficacy than the flu vaccine then I fear that the recovery will still be slow.

As you say, all IMHO of course.

bex88
19th Oct 2020, 18:03
No risk, no gain, but it is a hell of a risk. Don’t bet the house on it or more than you can write off.

I don’t think you will find many pilots turning down work right now. It maybe unpalatable but it is a rebuilding process.

Don’t let anyone say you can’t, but be true to yourself and the situation. I do not see recruitment outside of current priority return pools for a good three years or so.

Good luck

Xulu
19th Oct 2020, 19:52
It is indeed premature to start training. I myself started training during a downturn, and turned out to be very good timing; However that was sheer luck and naivety from a young man. Many of my classmates never found a job and were unable to maintain ratings etc. They have worked a decade as ground staff in the airport trying to pay off the loans. Now likely laid off too.

The majority of airlines won't be rehiring fresh candidates for many years. It'll be a slow callback of furloughed workforce and cautious adding of routes followed by a period of contract squeezing and ever higher flight hours before Airlines reach breaking point and are forced to hire.

The only exception I see are the Middle-East airlines who made such dramatic terminations to match the grounded aircraft, and therefore will be forced to rehire as soon as the aircraft start flying again.

PilotLZ
19th Oct 2020, 21:28
As I previously said, what has to be on your mind is - how do you bridge a gap of potentially 1-3 years between getting your ticket and gaining employment? If you have a firm and realistic answer to the questions of how to survive financially and how to stay current and knowledgeable during that potential gap - go for it.

However unpleasant the current situation is, it's not the end of aviation. You're looking into potentially spending 40 years or so in that field after the crisis is behind us - and, long-term, that will still be a needed and viable profession. But, as a good aviator, you always need to have a plan B in case things don't go as you wish. Mind it, this will likely not be the only crisis you will have experienced by the end of your career. So, the sooner you work out a meaningful answer to the question "What do I do if flying is not an option for some time to come but I still have to pay my bills?" - the more likely you are to have a relatively trouble-free life long-term.

Le Chiffre
20th Oct 2020, 04:40
Anyone mortgaging their future to the tune of £120k at the moment is full on mentalz.

It's not that I wish to discourage the OP - it's just that the chances of there being a job at the other end are between slim and none.

VariablePitchP
20th Oct 2020, 06:57
I agree that even for 2021/2022 the demand for pilots will be nil, these perspectives are very changeable according to the course of the situation, but I really think that everything will start again.

/2023/2024/2025

2026 might be the year, except your licenses will all have lapsed so you’ll have to redo everything...

bringbackthe80s
20th Oct 2020, 07:30
To be honest the fact that most likely (hopefully) NO ONE would ever consider starting an integrated course now should halve the prices soon enough. How was it ever conceivable to pay 120k pounds no less for 100 something basic flight hours a few classes and some simulator is beyond me.

VariablePitchP
20th Oct 2020, 08:10
To me the idea of spending anything is pretty mental, people often talk about £60K as being a bargain, it’s crazy. If no one paid anything then it would all be funded by airlines but that’s unlikely to change any time soon...

Wirbelsturm
20th Oct 2020, 08:40
If no one paid anything then it would all be funded by airlines

I have to agree with you but, unfortunately, airlines are run by accountants who are beholden to the board who are beholden to the investors to make money. As they have seen a revenue stream from training instead of a cost then they will, IMHO, never go back to it unless a fiscal gun is held to their metaphorical heads and a lack of flight crew causes a bigger loss further down the line in commercial ops.

Given that there is now a large pool of experienced flight crew who are all desperately trying to cover their bills and costs I would, sadly, suggest that T's & C's are not going to move in the direction we would wish them and that training will continue to be self subsidised, as reprehensible as that may be.

PilotLZ
20th Oct 2020, 11:18
Airline-sponsored initial training? The short answer: not anytime soon, not in any significant numbers, not at all for the vast majority of airlines. This horse has bolted long before COVID. In fact, COVID was the last nail in its coffin, but the process of extinction of sponsored cadetships definitely started long before that. Why? Because. There are more than enough self-sponsored quality candidates even in the best of times and there's hardly any reason for an airline to make a large, high-risk investment into people who may or may not be needed in 2-3 years from now. Two years ago, who knew that COVID would come? Even in January and February 2020, when Wuhan was already in lockdown, Europe was set for a really strong year. And then it all went belly-up in less than a month - with a very sad outcome for everyone who had started a cadet programme in 2018-2019, when the respective airlines were 99,99% certain that they would have jobs for said cadets, come graduation time. So, why would an airline accept that financial risk if it can be entirely on the candidate instead?

Bealzebub
20th Oct 2020, 14:21
When the fallout eventually settles down I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see two eventual outcomes. The first is an MPL being the only direct “apprenticeship” route into those airlines with “approved” cadet programmes. This would only be a small evolution of what has been happening for the last decade in any event. The second (and wait for the howls of derision) is for an ATPL to be the minimum requirement for airline flying in either seat. That is 1500 hours and the hard licence. That is exactly the position with the FAA and it isn’t much of a stretch to see it being adopted everywhere else.

PilotLZ
20th Oct 2020, 16:39
It would be interesting to see some comparison of the levels of GA flying in the USA to those in Europe. It might be just my misperception of the picture, but aren't there far fewer GA opportunities in Europe which could potentially allow the young wannabe to build 1500 hours?

Field Required
20th Oct 2020, 18:18
I myself am looking at FTE but certainly won’t be starting this year. Maybe the back end of next year. I’m 25, have spent the last 7 years working my way up through the maritime industry, working as a Captain since 21. It’s a difficult choice not to chase the childhood dream, especially when sitting on the funds to do so but the timing is just not right. I know I’ll always have a career to fall back on and to keep current after training but even still I wouldn’t go for it just yet!

Good choice.

guy_incognito
20th Oct 2020, 20:34
Is it fair to say that 'all' more experienced crew/captains/FO's will work for a wage as low as a freshly minted cadet?

Not all, but I'll go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of captains would now work for the c.£45k that was until recently on offer for easyJet SOs. The vast majority of FOs would work for free to "stay current" while finding another job (or two or three) on the side to pay the bills. New normal.

flash8
20th Oct 2020, 20:52
Fair point, employers will invariably offer the least they can get away with for the maximum experience, and given the thousands unemployed this will drive down to sub 50K SH Captains, no matter what one thinks of their own abilities, experience and dashing good looks the market will always pay the least it can get away with.

Airline analysts reckons next year plenty of flag carriers on the way out and LCC barely scraping by, hope things aren't so dire, not in the industry anymore however even my job isn't safe, we are all at risk I'm afraid.

The days of any idiot with a pulse and a freshly issued CPL/IR or fATPL getting RHS 737/A320 are long gone... never to return.

PilotLZ
20th Oct 2020, 22:22
Good luck flying 100 hours per month for free and combining that with a second job. Interesting how long can such people last, even if in their despair now they sign up for something like that. Many enthusiastic chaps think that it's a jolly ride and they won't get tired one bit because they look really sharp in that uniform. Guess what - reality is nothing like that...

The part I agree with is that some of the "right-sizing" happening now was much needed to weed out some people who got the job simply because they had the money to pay for the training. In the last couple of years, plenty of "idiots with a pulse" were indeed hired simply because someone needed to sit in that seat for the aircraft to fly. An airline FO not being able to explain what flaps and slats are for or another one taking out his phone to shoot a video at 500 feet AGL on takeoff while being PF are just two fine examples of people who should have never been where they were. It breaks my heart to say that life turned out to be far from fair once again and many very, very good guys and girls with outstanding knowledge and attitude also lost their jobs in the COVID mess - but what I very much hope for is that common sense will prevail when hiring picks up and those wonderful people get the chances they truly deserve while some others are kept away for the safety of all of us.

wiggy
21st Oct 2020, 06:10
Lots of good advice above...this isn't just another 9/11, GW1 or SARs "blip"...the industry is looking at structural change.

It doesn't matter how it's spun or what the "schools" say the fact is anybody investing serious money at the moment with a view to entering paid employment as an airline pilot in around 18 months time is taking a very serious and very risky gamble with their own (or somebody else's) money..therefore:

1. Anyone stubbornly insisting on starting an integrated course now should plan on having the resources (cash) available post course completion to keep their licence/rating valid for an indeterminate period post that training.

2. When the market starts to pick up the airlines will be the buyers in a buyers market..previously advertised/rumoured T&Cs may well not apply.

Field Required
21st Oct 2020, 11:19
The vast majority of FOs would work for free to "stay current" while finding another job (or two or three) on the side to pay the bills. New normal.

It's not a fairground ride. That practice may well be taken up by some but it will not last. When the bills need to be paid or the car needs a tank of gas or food needs putting on the table the roosters will come home to roost. Working for free should absolutely not be allowed under any circumstances. You don't have free rent, you dont get free gas, you dont get free food. Your baggage handlers get paid, your gate staff get paid, your cabin crew get paid, your ops team get paid, your bus driver gets paid, your customer has paid. Why on earth should you not get paid!? It's basic economics people.

VariablePitchP
21st Oct 2020, 11:29
Bealzebub

Not going to happen.

The hour rule is in the states because the unions love it since it forces up Ts&Cs.

It’s totally arbitrary and bears no relation to your actual abilities. The CAA, as incompetent as they can be, are unlikely to randomly bring in a regulation for the sole purpose of making it harder to get a job as a pilot.

It’s also likely illegal as it discriminates based on age. When the last advert you saw that said ‘X years experience required’? Likely a while ago as that practice is now banned.

PilotLZ
21st Oct 2020, 14:49
Field Required

Exactly. Working as a pilot for free is not sustainable for any longer than your savings last. I wonder if anyone of those who would be up for it has considered what's it like to work a couple of days of earlies with 12 hours between them (or even 10 hours if out of base). When are you going to sleep if you also need to work a second job? Not to mention that in this industry only the lucky few get to be based in their home cities and a huge fraction need to commute between cities and even countries (and that's not cheap either unless there's an airline paying for your tickets or a good contractual rate if you're paying for it yourself). So, anyone considering it seriously will likely fail the psychological assessment on grounds of not being able to provide a realistic evaluation of his/her own physiological capabilities, especially in the part concerning the need for sleep.

Field Required
21st Oct 2020, 16:24
I wonder if anyone of those who would be up for it has considered what's it like to work a couple of days of earlies with 12 hours between them

No they haven't. The wannabes know nothing of the reality of line flying until it's too late.

rudestuff
21st Oct 2020, 16:34
It’s also likely illegal as it discriminates based on age. When the last advert you saw that said ‘X years experience required’? Likely a while ago as that practice is now banned.

Don't confuse age with experience. Discrimination is not a dirty word it is absolutely necessary. If I applied for a position as head of surgery I'd fully expect to be discriminated against on the basis that I've never been to medical school. You have to draw a line somewhere, despite what the snowflakes want.

PilotLZ
21st Oct 2020, 21:10
Agreed. If you think that setting a minimum amount of experience for a role is discriminatory, wait until you see the entry requirements for most of what we all know as major legacy carriers. Basically, they are usually set up to keep non-nationals away. Fluency in the respective national language, security disclosure which can only be obtained by a citizen or long-term resident of the country and all the likes. All of that leaves you as a pilot with four potential career paths (or a combination thereof):

1 - look for opportunities in your home country
2 - join a multinational company with bases in multiple countries (think Ryanair, Wizz air and all the likes)
3 - look into traditionally expat jobs (think the Middle East and Asia, that's where most of those opportunities are)
4 - become a contractor, plugging up a hole here and another one there, usually short-term (often encountered in corporate aviation, less so in airlines)

Numbers 3 and 4 are only available to experienced pilots. That's the reality of life. You may like it or not, but that's how it is. Not being born, bread and butter in France, you're unlikely to ever get a flight deck job with Air France, let alone a place on their sponsored programme, if and when there is one. The same applies for just about any European flag carrier. Airlines of that calibre never have a shortage of top-notch applicants from their nations, so why would they need expats?

Bealzebub
22nd Oct 2020, 04:36
Variablepitchp

The “1500 hour rule” or more accurately the requirement to hold an ATR (ATPL) actually came into law as result of the AIRLINE SAFETY AND FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION EXTENSION ACT OF 2010 and the Colgan 3407 accident. Arguably, since in that accident neither pilot had less than 1500 hours in any event. Age discrimination isn’t an issue beyond the age requirement to hold the licence, which in itself doesn’t discriminate.

The clue is in the name. Airline Transport Pilots licence. To fly in that capacity, it is not unreasonable to hold that licence.

When the last advert you saw that said ‘X years experience required’? Likely a while ago as that practice is now banned.
I don’t think I ever did since age wasn’t the requirement. Now substitute the unit of measure from “years” to “hours” and I think a great many did and still do.

guy_incognito
22nd Oct 2020, 10:53
Field Required

We are talking about a highly desirable (for some reason) and highly vocational job with no serious barriers to entry, other than the obvious financial ones. There is a vast oversupply at the bottom of the market, and there will be for some time. As an airline bean counter, how could you justify to the board and to your shareholders that you are willing to pay a decent wage to employees who would be prepared to work for free or even pay the airline for the privilege of being allowed to come into work?

I stand by what I've previously stated: sub-£50k for a captain will be the new standard, and minimum wage at best will be the new standard for FOs. I know for a fact that there are already plenty of cases of cadets working second and third jobs on their days off (and even before or after an FDP) to make ends meet. It's highly likely that we will see an extension of that. Unless and until there's a serious incident where such fatiguing practices are held to be a causal factor, nothing will change. Even then I wouldn’t be holding my breath: the company in that case would simply point to the Part A where it states that a pilot must not operate if he knows or suspects he’d be fatigued.

AdrianShaftsworthy
22nd Oct 2020, 11:47
I suppose you could say that would be an airline CEO’s wet dream. Not going to happen though. Once this ‘storm in a teacup’ blows over, which it will and much sooner than you predict, the supply of pilots will soon dry up and we’ll be back on the road of abinitio recruitment again. Keep the faith!

parkfell
22nd Oct 2020, 12:13
Apart from those unfortunate pilots who lost their jobs, there are trainees sufficiently deep into their training who will be issued with a CPL/IR in the next 12 months, with absolutely no prospect of the RHS in the foreseeable future.
Many wannabes would have considered starting this year had C-19 not caused the implosion.
Possibly 25% (?) will no longer consider aviation as an occupation and do something else.
The 75% left will be standing by to start so that they achieve licence issue & MCC/APS on the crest of the employment wave. Add to that the nominal wannabes with expected start dates 2021/22/23.

The SUPPLY & DEMAND curves will determine what the employer will pay. Simple Economics.
Historically they often got out of ‘synch’ as boom and bust occurred. 8-10 years from now a pilot shortage will occur. Ideal for those at the start of secondary school just now.

Spending even for a ‘value for money’ Modular course requires a return on investment greater than the minimum wage as has been suggested, even for those who funded their training without incurring debt.

VariablePitchP
22nd Oct 2020, 23:05
rudestuff

Please read what I posted.

But in your hypothetical job applying For the head of surgery I suspect if they wanted 20 years experience and you only had 18 years because you happen to have been born a few years later you might be quite frustrated when in reality you are just as qualified as everyone else. Just because a boomer is older it most certainly does not make them better.

FlyingProgrammer
23rd Oct 2020, 11:47
I can definitely understand the terrible situation within aviation industry, but as an aviation enthusiast myself (who has PPL/IR and currently working on EASA ATPL theory and planning to do CPL + ME next year), to the original poster, I would still say if it is really your dream, why not go and give it a try!

The important thing is to have a plan B. Personally, being a pilot is always my dream, unfortunately due to various of reasons, I could not pursue aviation in my teenage years, instead I become a software engineer. Once I got a stable job after my graduation, I started pilot training, earned my PPL in 2015, my CB/IR in 2018 and currently learning ATPL theory (already passed a few subjects; and planning to finish all 14 subjects early next year) for CPL (which only requires 15H as I have IR) and ME next summer. My reasoning is that I currently spend around 20K euros to fly around for pleasure anyway, why not spend it on the training.

My age has just turned 30, the time for me to pursue my dream is already limited. If I am lucky, maybe one day in my life I can become a FO of an airline (I am okay to give up my job, sell my house and everything as I know with junior FO salary I would no longer be able to afford these) but enjoying flying, or find some part-time GA work or becoming a part-time flight school / club instructor. Anything aviation makes me excited and if it can earn money, that's even better.

If not, my plan B is working harder. I am saving some money and planning to buy a small second-hand IFR tourer (hopefully with TKS & EFIS). And with CPL I might be able to get better insurance quote, my efforts in hard ATPLT/CPL studies will not be wasted.

So, to the original poster, I think the most important thing in the economy down turn is secure your income first, and pursue your dream. Many people already in the industry maybe are not as enthusiastic as we are, but if it is your dream, the return of your aviation "investment" does not have to be money, it can be the sheer pleasure and joy. It's never too late to start, and it does not matter when the aviation industry will recover, it does not matter what other people say. It's not about money, it's about living a life with minimal regrets (as mentioned by Jeff Bezos).

sms8
24th Oct 2020, 10:54
Well said, know the risks and follow the gut!

Doctor Cruces
24th Oct 2020, 11:45
Can't imagine why anybody would want to start flight training right now unless just for a PPL to fun fly. The airlines won't be interested in newbies for at least several years IF it ever picks up again to pre covid levels.

Thunderbird1999
8th Nov 2020, 22:35
If I was you I wouldn't even put a single penny into any flight school right now due to the current state of the airline industry (try in 5years). Have you considered joining the RAF? There are many job roles available that are flight related such as pilot, flight operater, air controller and more. This will be good on your CV when applying for a pilot role plus you could save up for your flight training. In the meantime just wait and find some valuable work experience.

Do not I repeat DO NOT be misled by the big flight schools into spending £100k. Don't be a fool