PDA

View Full Version : New Veterans Railcard wef 5th Nov 2020

Warmtoast
16th Oct 2020, 15:48
Watching the Martin Lewis Money Show on the box last night he mentioned the launch of a new Veterans Railcard wef 5th November 2020. You have to have served for one day to qualify. There are quite substantial discounts.

Features

1/3 off rail fares (anytime, off-peak, super off-peak - all varieties)
1/3 off for a companion too
Plus up to 60% for children (age 5 - 15) travelling too
Cost: 1-year £21, 3-years £61

Details here: www.veterans-railcard.co.uk
Passed on FWIW

WT

diginagain
16th Oct 2020, 16:31
There's a debate to be had about what counts as "service" in the "one day of service" piece. On a slight tangent, there seems to be a move away from a physical Veterans ID Card by MoD towards an electronic version. If you wanted another free ice-scraper for the car this winter, you may be disappointed.

NutLoose
16th Oct 2020, 16:48
I did my attestation at the CIO then left for Swinditz a few days later, does that mean I could have qualified by sleeping in my own bed at my mums?

Fareastdriver
16th Oct 2020, 18:15
1/3 off for a companion too

You have to nominate your companion when you buy the card so it is the same as a Two Together.

ShyTorque
16th Oct 2020, 22:18
Well, better than nothing, it’s nine quid a year cheaper than the usual senior railcard that many veterans are already able to buy.

teeteringhead
17th Oct 2020, 08:03
Well, better than nothing, it’s nine quid a year cheaper than the usual senior railcard that many veterans are already able to buy.. But that's only the introductory offer Shy. The normal price (whenever that is reverted to) is exactly the same as the Old Gits' Senior one.

Must check when mine runs out to see if Vets' one is worth it.

The companion bit might swing it though, but most of our train journeys are individual. Two together probably cheaper by car......

57mm
17th Oct 2020, 08:31
Not to forget the Disabled Persons railcard, for which one is eligible if wearing hearing aids.

Shackman
17th Oct 2020, 08:51
I thought it was a nice gesture to present one to Capt Sir Tom. Shame (as mentioned in Breakfast TV) it expires just before Remembrance Day next year..

MG
17th Oct 2020, 16:27
I downloaded mine a couple of days ago. All very easy and I much prefer using the app as I won’t worry about forgetting it. £61 for 3 years is pretty good value.

MG
17th Oct 2020, 16:29
. But that's only the introductory offer Shy. The normal price (whenever that is reverted to) is exactly the same as the Old Gits' Senior one.

Must check when mine runs out to see if Vets' one is worth it.

The companion bit might swing it though, but most of our train journeys are individual. Two together probably cheaper by car...... Well you stick to the old folks card and I’ll use the veterans’ card as I’ve got 15 years to go before I’m eligible for yours.
That’s the point though, isn’t it, it fills a nice gaps between the the youngsters’ card (long behind me), the Forces’ card (a couple of years behind me) and the old codger card (some years yet).

Chugalug2
17th Oct 2020, 16:58
Tesco Clubcard vouchers are £3 to spend on Railcards for every £1 voucher value. So a 1 Year Senior Railcard for example 'costs' £10 instead of £30, which rather beats this first year offer by over 50%. Obviously only good for those with the required Clubcard vouchers amassed, and always a chance that Tesco will include this Railcard with the others included in their Reward Partners scheme, but no sign yet.

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/browse/travel/4294967286.cat?pageNo=1

NutLoose
17th Oct 2020, 18:31
Only trains I travel on these days are preserved steam ones and I’m happy to pay the full fee to ensure they are available for future generations to enjoy steam.

introducing the future to the past by me..

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48775561256_c2f1cb8eaa_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2hj8v3G)Generations (https://flic.kr/p/2hj8v3G) by Tony Taylor (https://www.flickr.com/photos/142550108@N08/), on Flickr

ShyTorque
17th Oct 2020, 18:35
. But that's only the introductory offer Shy. The normal price (whenever that is reverted to) is exactly the same as the Old Gits' Senior one.

Must check when mine runs out to see if Vets' one is worth it

So it does, £61 over three years rather than £70 for a senior railcard. The nine quid difference is about equivalent to the price of a railway coffee per year.

But even so, if you’ve not yet achieved a “more distinguished” age, such as we have (!), well worth it. My senior railcard meant that I recovered the equivalent cost of the card the second time I used it on a north/south rail journey. Trouble is, as things turned out, I only used it twice in a year and my employer gained the advantage because I used it on business journeys where they paid for the tickets. So in truth, I’m £30 down....must speak to my financial adviser!

NutLoose
17th Oct 2020, 18:39
Over 60 London travel is free

veterans

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/veterans-oyster-photocard?intcmp=54722
https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/tfl-60-london-oyster-photocard

BEagle
18th Oct 2020, 07:19
Not quite....

Who is it for?You can get a Veterans Oyster photocard if you:

Receive ongoing payments under the War Pensions Scheme (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/war-pension-scheme/war-pension-scheme-what-you-need-to-know) in your name. This includes widows, widowers and dependants
Receive Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/armed-forces-compensation/armed-forces-compensation-what-you-need-to-know) in your name. This includes widows, widowers and dependants

Ongoing payments are awarded to service personnel who've sustained a certain level of physical or psychological injury in the line of duty. If you received a one-off gratuity payment instead, you can't get a Veterans Oyster photocard.

You also can't get a Veterans Oyster photocard if you live in a London borough (https://directory.londoncouncils.gov.uk/) and are eligible for a 60+ London Oyster photocard (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/60-plus-oyster-photocard) or Freedom Pass (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/freedom-pass).

Nice photo of Ollie, by the way!!

diginagain
18th Oct 2020, 09:43
I did my attestation at the CIO then left for Swinditz a few days later, does that mean I could have qualified by sleeping in my own bed at my mums?
Precisely the question raised with MinDPV & OfVA. Army recruits these days attest after arrival at their Phase 1 Training Establishment. A number of GPs refuse to accept that a patient, presenting with injuries sustained in training, has veteran status and thus access to veteran-specific treatment is denied. Clarity is absent, hence conjecture and personal opinion reigns.

pr00ne
19th Oct 2020, 08:53
I wonder if this will survive the nasty party cuts?

One of the conditions for the Govt loaning/granting London Transport a Billion is that it drop discounts for children and OAP's. The return of the nasty party.

NutLoose
19th Oct 2020, 09:10
veteran-specific treatment is denied

What is that? I doubt my practice knows I am a veteran, but I wouldn't think it make a difference if they did.

The Nip
19th Oct 2020, 09:44
What is that? I doubt my practice knows I am a veteran, but I wouldn't think it make a difference if they did.

In your local NHS clinic, as an ex service person, your medical documents can be annotated with a marker to distinguish you are.

From my limited knowledge, it makes a difference if your injuries were caused during your service and they require continuous treatment.

pr00ne
19th Oct 2020, 11:22
In your local NHS clinic, as an ex service person, your medical documents can be annotated with a marker to distinguish you are.

From my limited knowledge, it makes a difference if your injuries were caused during your service and they require continuous treatment.

What? If you have injuries and they require continuous treatment then you will be treated, irrespective of if you have ever been in the Armed Forces. That's what the NHS exists to do. Can't see that the fact you were in the mob will make a jot of difference!

teeteringhead
19th Oct 2020, 11:29
The NHS can still work wonders for Veterans, particularly with "attributable" injuries. I've been to the Oswestry Orthopaedic Veterans Clinic a few times, as old crash injuries catch up with me due to anno domini.

Now have titanium shoulder joint; they couldn't do anything with my legs, but suggested I was up for a War Pension (well the crash was in a war). A few forms and examinations later, I find I am 20% disabled (not that I'd noticed) and so get a smallish tax-free pension, and the famous Vets Oystercard mentioned at Post 15 above.

Trouble is, I haven't got to London for a while.......

Interesting side fact. Talking to the PARA/RAMC half colonel who runs the Oswestry Vets Clinic, I asked why - it's still NHS after all - waiting lists were so short.

"Easy," says he "service people don't miss appointments without telling us!" Scarily, up 60% of NHS appointments are "no shows"..... which b%ggers up the lists.....

diginagain
19th Oct 2020, 13:51
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/military-healthcare/priority-nhs-treatment-for-veterans/

There's also a growing realisation that 'social-prescribing' may offer benefits beyond medication, particularly with MH issues, and a number of social-prescribers are suitable for, or specific to, Service veterans, but matching the 'need' with the 'resource' is made easier if the GP is aware of a patient's status as a veteran.

Plus, the Royal College of General Practitioners have a 'Veteran Friendly' practice scheme;
https://rcgp-news.com/49LX-XROH-8417E87C6BD95E4E5FAKY01459F75635BE0CBD/cr.aspx

diginagain
19th Oct 2020, 13:55

As more Practices migrate their data to a system known as SNOMED, it is important that your status as a veteran is correctly 'coded'. Until we see the MoD transfer med recs automatically to the NHS, the GP must request your docs. Having ensured you let your GP know that you're a Service veteran speeds-up that process.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x933/thumbnail_image008_f9abdb27ab4b4f318ce886cb03566af03abd386b. jpg

ORAC
24th Jul 2023, 06:13
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/continued-progress-has-been-made-towards-the-new-digital-verification-service-to-apply-for-a-hm-armed-forces-veteran-card

The OVA led the initial Discovery and Alpha phases, establishing how the Veteran Card can be delivered in the most simple and effective way. The MOD has now taken on its development and will deliver the service. It is a significant technical project and has required highly skilled support from Defence Digital and Government Digital Service (GDS) experts.

The new verification service to support applications will include:

online applications via GOV.UK
identity checks using GOV.UK’s new One Login service
automated service checking to confirm veteran status for most applications using MOD service records databases
increasing MOD’s secure card printing capacity to deal with the expected applications using a new high-capacity card printing machine

The HM Armed Forces Veteran Card will allow veterans to quickly and easily prove their veteran status where required, thereby granting them simpler access to key support from government, charities, local authorities, and other organisations.

Roll-out will be in phases according to service years to manage the volume of requests and prevent any potential delays resulting from demand exceeding capacity.

With around 1.8 million veterans in the UK, we are focused on building the technology and processes to deal with large volumes of card applications accurately and securely.

Testing started this summer, and we expect cards to become available to veterans later this year. A paper-based application process will also be made available for veterans who are unable to use the online service.

Since December 2018, all Service leavers automatically receive a Veteran Card from the MOD as part of their discharge process and so do not need to apply. The new verification service will address how to replace a lost Veteran Card.

This page will be updated with details of the application process later in the year.

Biggus
24th Jul 2023, 15:42
So the MOD is going to "invest" in a new high-capacity printing machine, yet the roll out will be done in phases to reduce the volume of applications?

Also, presumably once the backlog of veterans has been dealt with (how many of the 1.8 million will actually want one?) this 'high capacity' machine will revert to low capacity use dealing with the current day to day retirement of service personnel?

downsizer
24th Jul 2023, 18:37
My "veterans" ID came through unrequested about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with it.

MG
25th Jul 2023, 04:42
My "veterans" ID came through unrequested about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with it.
When did you leave? I wonder if they’re doing it in a reverse chronological order?
the only reason I ask, and seem to want one, is that I’m planning a US trip next Easter. I can see it being useful there but otherwise no real reason to carry one.

ShyTorque
25th Jul 2023, 06:50
I’ve never mentioned to my local health centre that I’m a veteran. They certainly don’t have my military medical records. I doubt it would make any difference if they did. The records they do have still say that I was due a number of vaccinations…..in 1958 (!) and they have never queried that.

downsizer
25th Jul 2023, 07:49
When did you leave? I wonder if they’re doing it in a reverse chronological order?
the only reason I ask, and seem to want one, is that I’m planning a US trip next Easter. I can see it being useful there but otherwise no real reason to carry one.

Last day was 14 May this year.

Got an envelope posted to me with the veterans badge, the ID card and certificate of service.

ORAC
25th Jul 2023, 08:18
Last day was Feb 1999. On that basis I might get one around 2030…..

Sloppy Link
25th Jul 2023, 10:46
You have to nominate your companion when you buy the card so it is the same as a Two Together.
Buuuut….does that mean the companion can only travel if with you? Mrs Link is eligible also and although I sometimes travel solo, she rarely does or would but I would like to know if that flexibility is lost.

GreenXCode
25th Jul 2023, 19:10
Nope, two separate photo cards on the one app. Can travel together or separate; we went for 3-yr to save a fiver IIRC

Sloppy Link
28th Jul 2023, 12:18
Nope, two separate photo cards on the one app. Can travel together or separate; we went for 3-yr to save a fiver IIRC
Super, thank you very much.

Wetstart Dryrun
28th Jul 2023, 15:09
[QUOTE=NutLoose;I doubt my practice knows I am a veteran, but I wouldn't think it make a difference if they did.[/QUOTE]

An ex-army medic at our local practice suggested that, as I was ex-RAF, I ought to enjoy a prostate check.

... didn't buy me dinner, though

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
1st Aug 2023, 15:35
I cannot for the life of me see the point in having a Veterans card. Am I missing something ? When would there be an occasion when showing it would help ? I've had a Veterans Railcard and Oyster card for years, plus the DDS and Blue Light cards. They've proved to be very useful.

A side issue is the qualification criterion for the term "Veteran". It varies from one day to 2 years service depending on the entity.

NEO

SLXOwft
1st Aug 2023, 16:17
Last year my GPs' surgery sent out a text message asking if I had served in HRH :ugh:Armed Services to reply 'YES' to 'ensure you receive the appropriate care'. Presumably records were updated - one of the partners is an ex-Surg Lt Cdr so may take an interest in these things.

Biggus
1st Aug 2023, 16:26
How about GP surgeries ensuring ALL their patients get the "appropriate care"?!

kriskross
2nd Aug 2023, 11:11
I have found recently a few places, shops, pubs, restaurants that offer a 10% discount for veterans. Despite showing a photo of me in uniform by my aircraft, this wasn't accepted. So maybe there is a use for a 'Veterans card'. I already use a discounted Senior Railcard which is same price as Veterans Railcard, thanks to my local authority. I also have a letter when I was awarded my War Disability Pension that states I am entitled to priority treartment from the NHS, I presume due to closure of military hospitals. I showed this to my GP who had never heard of veterans treatment, and it seemed to work.

radar101
3rd Aug 2023, 10:00
I have found recently a few places, shops, pubs, restaurants that offer a 10% discount for veterans. Despite showing a photo of me in uniform by my aircraft, this wasn't accepted. So maybe there is a use for a 'Veterans card'.

I acquired a veterans card via RAFA. I don't use it in this country but in the USA it is like gold.

Walk into coffee shop "Free coffee for our forces and veterans" I said how about allies?" flashing my card. "Thank you for your service sir - here's your coffee".