PDA

View Full Version : Publications for pilots

kly
12th Oct 2020, 21:43
Hello everybody,

I am an ab initio flight instructor. I wrote couple of articles with advice on how to train and fly certain phases of flight. Desired audience is basic flight instructors, students and General Aviation pilots.

I am looking for an aviation site, magazine, newspaper to publish my article. What are most popular publications for my audience? Please let me know.

Check Airman
12th Oct 2020, 21:45
What publications have you been reading?

kly
12th Oct 2020, 21:48
Nothing. I only know how to write. :O

MrAverage
13th Oct 2020, 10:49
What happened to "know your audience" and "know your market"?

kly
13th Oct 2020, 10:59
What happened to "know your audience" and "know your market"?

I wrote who is my audience and I am not selling anything. If you have no answer to my question, why waste your and my time?

LTCTerry
13th Oct 2020, 14:52
I wrote who is my audience and I am not selling anything. If you have no answer to my question, why waste your and my time?

Some magazines cater to the business jet customer. Some cater to student pilots. If you want your writing to show up in a magazine, the "market" is the mix of available magazines. "Know your market" means understanding which magazine would be interested in your writing.

"Flugzeug Klassiker" is probably not your market unless you are writing about how the Luftwaffe or Flugwaffe did training 75 years ago. If you wrote about SEP instructing Sailplane and Gliding is not your market. "Flieger" might be good for a newbie instructor. AOPA UK maybe?

What language did you write in?

If you want help you need to be more specific. Hence the question what do *you* read? Look up the aviation magazines you are aware of. Contact them via their webpage. Ask if they have an "Author's Guide" that can help you. Ask if they are interested in what you have to offer.

I wrote for a model railroading publishing firm for about ten years. Thoroughly enjoyed the worldwide feedback I received. I'd like to get involved in aviation writing, but I don't have the time.

Good luck!

Terry

PS Yes, you are "selling" something - your knowledge, your words, you ability to connect with others via just the printed word.

MrAverage
14th Oct 2020, 05:30
Thanks Terry....

MrAverage
14th Oct 2020, 05:39
....and beleive it or not kly, we're all trying to help you. It just might not seem that way!

BigEndBob
14th Oct 2020, 07:40
How many more books can be written about aviation. I saw an old flight training book from 1933. It could have been written yesterday.
The only new stuff is modern avionics.

kly
14th Oct 2020, 11:11
How many more books can be written about aviation. I saw an old flight training book from 1933. It could have been written yesterday.

Unfortunately, I found some serious mistakes or omissions in popular books. I checked Pooley's Air Pilot Manual, Flying Training, Rod Machado’s How to Fly an Airplane, Jeppesen PP Maneuvers, FAA Training Handbook.

Duchess_Driver
14th Oct 2020, 14:07

Apparently another change is we’re not allowed to hit the students anymore!!!:}:E

extreme P
14th Oct 2020, 20:08
Unfortunately, I found some serious mistakes or omissions in popular books. I checked Pooley's Air Pilot Manual, Flying Training, Rod Machado’s How to Fly an Airplane, Jeppesen PP Maneuvers, FAA Training Handbook.

What errors or omissions have you picked up on that nobody else has in the last century of flight training?

kly
14th Oct 2020, 21:04
What errors or omissions have you picked up on that nobody else has in the last century of flight training?

When I publish my articles, I will post links here.