PDA

View Full Version : NZ CAA car part question

kdn
9th Oct 2020, 22:38
Hi all, I have a BFR coming up soon (ppl aeroplane) I vaguely recall something about having to have done the law exam within the last 5 years, reading through the caa docs I can't find anything stating this though.

Am I off my rocker here?

chimbu warrior
10th Oct 2020, 00:50
Everything you need is right here https://www.aviation.govt.nz/rules/advisory-circulars/show/AC61-3

DeltaT
23rd Oct 2020, 08:41
Its actually in AC 61-1
10.1.3 In accordance with rule 61.37, a licence holder who has not met the requirements of rule 61.39 for a period of five years or more who wishes to exercise the privileges of a lower licence under rule 61.37(i), is required to pass the PPL air law examination prior to completing a BFR or the appropriate operational competency demonstration required to exercise the higher privileges of a CPL or ATPL (as applicable).

10.1.4 Alternatively, in the case of an ATPL only, the holder may complete the appropriate operational competency checks required in Parts 121, 125 or 135 conducted by a Part 119 organisation before exercising ATPL privileges .

So 5yrs clock restarts each time you do your BFR, not 5yrs between exams.

kdn
23rd Oct 2020, 21:57
Thank you! I Knew I read it somewhere

So my interpretation of that is if you let your BFR lapse for 5 years you need to resit law exam first but if you keep your BFR current you do not?

DeltaT
25th Oct 2020, 08:19
Yes just the first bit. However there is a technicality there between whats legally written and intent. I would point out the way its written if I held a PPL and wanted to exercise PPL privilages, I could argue the rule does not apply as I don't want to exercise the privilages of a lower licence, just the licence I have! (so just doing the BFR again)
For those with a higher licence, I didn't realise the OR in there which means those licences have an alternative option.