PDA

View Full Version : Brantly Helicopter for Sale on Ebay

valve guide
9th Oct 2020, 15:37
Hi just wondered for those longer in the tooth what these machines were like? Rather odd looking but look built like tanks. Are they still legally able to fly these days as I seem to remember hearing if a company was out of business then it couldn't get an air worthiness certificate or something, may ne talking rubbish....and not for the first time haha.

9Aplus
9th Oct 2020, 20:36
In that case look here ->
https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/Introduction-to-licensing/What-is-a-non-EASA-aircraft-/Annex I aircraft:Most categories of non-EASA aircraft are listed in Annex I of the current EASA Basic Regulation. The details such as weight limits are set out in Annex I but broadly these categories could be summarised as follows:

Vintage aircraft that meet specific criteria for date of design and manufacture
Ex-military aircraft
Replicas of the above two categories
Microlight aeroplanes
Light helicopters
Light gyroplanes
Amateur build aircraft
Aircraft built or modified for scientific or novel purposes
Smaller balloons and airships
Smaller sailplanes
Certain tethered aircraft
Manned sub-70kg aircraft such as self-propelled hang gliders

:)

ShyTorque
9th Oct 2020, 21:19
It’s hardly been in recent use....It was de-registered by the CAA in 1995.

malabo
9th Oct 2020, 23:12
I feel safer in a Robbie.

Twist & Shout
10th Oct 2020, 00:06
I feel safer in a Robbie.

Me too.

I have .6hr in a Brantly. That’s enough.

MENELAUS
10th Oct 2020, 03:27
0.3 more than I. There’s one hanging from the roof of the arrivals hall in Anchorage. And that’s the safest place for it.
Sioux or Schweizer Hughes any day. Even the Hiller felt safer.

heli1
11th Oct 2020, 07:29
Much maligned. I flew one regularly for 30 years until the CAA withdrew the type certificate and even now am grounded only because of a faulty fuel pump and difficulty in getting spares,otherwise I'd be going for a permit to fly. Mine cost £20 grand back in 1989 and I've had hours of fun but suspect the parts shortages, Chinese ownership of the company, lack of support and lack of qualified instructors will make it very difficult nowadays .

timprice
11th Oct 2020, 15:41
I use to fly one, no real issues really, handle really well, very light on the controls similar power to weight ratio as anything else at the time.
Only real worry was how close your head was all the time to the blades, especially getting in or out, generally rotors running change over
not a good idea.
Don't knock it till you try it, thats my moto:eek: