PDA

View Full Version : Full ICAO ATPL conversion to EASA while living in Australia

dive and drive
29th Sep 2020, 01:18
Hello everyone, I'm an airline F/O here in Australia.
At the moment it looks like I'm one of the lucky ones, I still have a job but I've been grounded since late March.
When I do get back to work it will probably be on a part time basis for a couple of years or so. Trying to make the most out of a bad situation, I'm considering using the spare time to convert my full CASA (Australian) ATPL into an EASA one. I have an European passport and in the future I'd like to have the option to move over there when the market picks up again.
I'm aware I'll need to sit the 14 ATPL exams and go for a sim proficiency check.
The main problem will be traveling to sit the theory exams. At the moment it's clearly impossible, but when international travel restrictions are somewhat eased what would be the best way to go about this? I know the UK CAA has/had theory exams centers in Kuala Lumpur, but with the Brexit ordeal that might not be an option anymore in the near future.
Are there other theory exams centers affiliated with European CAAs that are relatively close or easier to travel from and to Australia? U.S. West coast perhaps? Or is my only option to sit the exams in Europe?

paco
29th Sep 2020, 05:29
The Pearson people who administer the exams on behalf of EASA live in NZ - I have heard of people doing the exams at their offices.

CareerDescentProfile
16th Oct 2020, 10:44
I'm a US based FO also interested in an EASA conversion. (I'm one of the unlucky ones - my airline has been completely dissolved at the whim of it's mainline parent). On the bright side I successfully made it to France to reunite with my girlfriend - so at least that step is out of of the way!

Hard to find consistent information on this topic. Just like any other project, its a process. Unfortunately lots of conflicting information from service providers - I want to start separatIng required steps from "optional steps" to chart the most direct path forward. Self study is definitely preferred.

rudestuff
16th Oct 2020, 20:04
If you've got an FAA ATP and 500 hours multi crew then required steps are:
1) get an EASA class 1 medical (about $900)
2) register with the CAA online portal and self certify for the exams (free)
3) Study all the question banks you can find (virtually free)
4) take the exams (about $100 each)
5) find a SIM and examiner to take an LST in whatever type you have on your FAA cert.

CareerDescentProfile
16th Oct 2020, 20:57
Thanks rudestuff! That's got to be the most succinctly distilled version of the process I've read to date.

I assume the LST conducted in one of my types will become the only type appearing on my future EASA certificate? (Probably not a big deal - a future employer would have to get me typed according to their particular staffing needs regardless).... I'm also assuming finding someplace to administer the LST will be the tricky bit, regardless of type.

Duchess_Driver
17th Oct 2020, 06:26
Does your ICAO type rating not have to be current anymore?

boeinga320
9th Nov 2020, 09:30
I'd also like to know this if anyone has an answer! My type rating is valid until January, but my company has ceased to exist.

Climb150
9th Nov 2020, 18:42
Let's put this to bed.

You can not do any EASA flight training or take EASA theory exams in Australia.

Four people who I have worked with and know well have looked into this closely. All went to Europe for the process and it isn't cheap.

boeinga320
10th Nov 2020, 10:17
Sorry, yeah I just meant to the question above about whether my type rating needs to be current. Not about writing exams in Aus. My bad.

ersa
11th Nov 2020, 01:10
All type ratings and instrument rating will need to be current .