PDA

View Full Version : valid medical for proficiency check

shorehamite
24th Sep 2020, 07:47
Does a candidate for an SEP renewal test need a valid medical? or just have a medical booked within 14 days? Thanks.

FlightDetent
24th Sep 2020, 08:21
(a) An application for the issue, revalidation or renewal of pilot licences and associated ratings and certificates shall be submitted to the competent authority in a form and manner established by this authority. The application shall be accompanied by evidence that the applicant complies with the requirements for the issue, revalidation or renewal of the licence or certificate as well as associated ratings or endorsements, established in this Part and Part-Medical.The exercise of the privileges granted by a licence shall be dependent upon the validity of the ratings contained therein, if applicable, and of the medical certificate.

If I guess correctly, in the inside your question is whether or not undergoing a test (SEP reveal.) with a FE falls under "exercising the privileges of a licence".

topoverhaul
24th Sep 2020, 08:51
Medical need not be valid, but in the event of a successful check, the examiner will warn the candidate that the privileges of the rating can not be exercised until a valid medical is in place.

Fl1ingfrog
24th Sep 2020, 09:02
topoverhaul is correct.

Whopity
24th Sep 2020, 09:16
I recall a couple of CAA Flight Examiners who retained their ratings whilst not holding a valid miedical.

Miles Magister
24th Sep 2020, 09:31
I think the answer is in Std Doc 24A. You do not need a valid medical for the test if it is flown in a simulator only so long as you do not exercise any privileges of the licence.

1.14.3Applicant’s Medical Certificate expired or absent
Where the applicant for the LPC has a valid licence but an expired, missing or suspended medical certificate, the test may be conducted (in a simulator only). If successful, the Certificate of Revalidation should be signed in the normal manner. The applicant shall be told that they cannot exercise the privileges of that rating until they have a valid medical.
The examiner should sign SRG1119 and/or complete the Examiner Report Form (SRG2199) as proof of a completed test/check, adding a clear note in Section 8 of SRG1119 and/or on the SRG2199 “applicant’s medical expired/was not presented and give it to the applicant for submission to licensing.
An applicant holding a UK issued EASA licence may hold a medical certificate issued by another EASA member state but their medical records shall be held by the UK CAA.

Tail-take-off
24th Sep 2020, 10:41
Standards Doc 24(A) covers Multi-Pilot Aeroplanes (MPA) and Single-Pilot High Performance
Complex Aeroplanes (SPHPCA). You’ll find the definitive answer in section 2.3 of the FLIGHT EXAMINERS’ HANDBOOK (Aeroplanes & Helicopters).

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Flight%20Examiners%20Handbook%20March%202020.pdf

FlightDetent
24th Sep 2020, 10:44
Not many SEP (in a simulator only) choices there, hm?

shorehamite
24th Sep 2020, 15:01
Many thanks everybody, 1119C was a bit vague, 2.3 in the FEH was just what i was looking for.