PDA

View Full Version : KLM uk never to hire again?

foghorn
16th Aug 2002, 17:55
Dear UK Wannabes,

Read this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62956

If what is suggested is true, KLMuk will no longer be hiring pilots. This will be the end of an excellent and much-trodden route for pilots to get their first airline job, either directly or via the Cabair sponsorship.

Prior to reading this I had heard rumours from people connected to KLMuk that they had planned Fokker 50 courses every month for the next year, but that they were on hold and under threat of cancellation completely if the parent airline decided to centralise hiring in mainline KLM in Holland.

Well, this thread suggests that this indeed is going to take place. This means that the chances of UK wannabes getting into the airline reduce massively, especially considering the fact that until recently KLM mainline had a Dutch language requirement for its pilots, is unlikely to accept UK-based new hires, plus the fact that the Dutch pilot's union has a lot of leverage over KLM.

A glimmer in the dark may be that Buzz may still hire in the UK, but either way, if true, a very sad decision indeed for UK wannabes.

foggy.

PPRuNe Pop
16th Aug 2002, 18:02
I think you should consider that the foregoing is not exactly factual. Nay, it is not even near factual.

Just watch what happens!

Gin Slinger
16th Aug 2002, 19:38
Foggy's post doesn't seem to tally with this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63468) thankfully!

foghorn
16th Aug 2002, 20:59
Thanks for that, Pop, I'm watching (and applying!)

On the up side, if KLM uk do continue recruiting in the UK, I understand that they are desperately short of FOs currently and have expansion plans in the offing, so are going to have to hire aggressively to meet them.

Gin Slinger

Not my post, someone else's. I sincerely hope what they have to say is not true.

cheers!
foggy.

Gin Slinger
16th Aug 2002, 21:08
Sorry Foggy - didn't read your post correctly!

Wet Power
17th Aug 2002, 17:42
You've got to remember that what KLMUK/Buzz at Stansted HQ would like to do and what the KLM CEO and his board would like to do with the same companies are two very different things.

Yes, the British end would like to recruit more pilots and expand into certain markets but it is KLM board that have the final say.
Buzz is getting more 737s in place of 146s but recruitment for these aircraft will be by cross training and a few transfers from blue line.

The Dutch end (highly influenced by the very strong Dutch VNV) want KLMuk somehow into Cityhopper and tagged (at least for the British pilots) on the end of the KLM mainline seniority list.

UK basing for blue pilots will be a big question (transfer to the Netherlands if you wish to stay?) and will come out in the wash in the next few months.

Buzz/Basiq will be standing on it's own two feet and nothing to do with KLM mainline (maybe being groomed by KLM for a big profit sell off in years to come). Negotiate some share options.

If the British end had it's way they would still be operating Gatwick/Edinburgh and Glasgow, Channel Island routes and a large number of destinations out of places such as Aberdeen.

Should all become clear in the next few months.