PDA

View Full Version : British Ferret Missions

ORAC
20th Sep 2020, 07:34
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/raf-and-navy-goad-russia-with-ferret-missions-wvqxpcz5g

RAF and navy goad Russia with ‘ferret missions’

RAF fighters and Royal Navy warships have dramatically increased patrols around Russia’s borders and coasts in an unprecedented operation to put Moscow’s military on the defensive.

Twenty-eight RAF aircraft have been sent to Russia’s borders on the Black Sea and off the coast of the Kola peninsula in the Arctic since the last week of August, involving formations of as many as five British aircraft at a time. Typhoon fighters and Voyager refuelling tankers, as well as Sentinel, RC-135 and Sentry E-3 Awacs (airborne early warning and control system) spy planes, have joined the long-range missions.

We reported on the first flights by the Typhoons over Ukraine a fortnight ago, but defence sources and data from aircraft-tracking websites confirmed that the patrols over the Black Sea had since intensified. Other Typhoons flew more than 1,500 miles into the Arctic Circle for the first time to fly a patrol off Murmansk, which is home to Russia’s main submarine bases.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/996x590/image_eb89d35dddb87df14e03e2a65276b203e326188a.jpeg

This coincided with a cruise by the anti-submarine frigate HMS Sutherland into this sensitive region as part of a flotilla with US and Norwegian warships.

Last Wednesday the survey ship HMS Enterprise entered the Black Sea to allow it to join the operation, and yesterday the Ministry of Defence said 250 soldiers from the Colchester-based 16 Air Assault Brigade had parachuted into a landing zone in southern Ukraine last week to join a Nato exercise."

Andrew Brookes, a retired RAF wing commander and veteran of Cold War spy flights, said the new missions were a response to recent Russian actions, including the poisoning of the opposition leader Alexei Navalny, and increasing Russian air force flights over the North Sea.

“We are telling [Vladimir] Putin we have given up talking about things — we are getting in his face,” he said. “This is a sign that we have finally stopped talking about responding and have started to do something in response. We are going into Russia’s back yard and standing up to their bullying.”

“The air and naval patrols drive the Russians bonkers,” said a military source. “They have been scrambling their fighters and putting ships and submarines to sea in response, allowing the RAF spy planes to hoover up intelligence on their radar transmissions and radio communications. In the Cold War these were called ‘ferret missions’, after the analogy of dropping a ferret down a rabbit hole and seeing what happens. It forces them to react to what we are doing, rather than the other way around.”

A senior intelligence source said the information gathered would help MoD experts “identify our adversaries’ vulnerabilities and seek to exploit them”.

Doctor Cruces
20th Sep 2020, 15:41
Would be nice if we had the resources to be more than just a small nuisance.

MPN11
20th Sep 2020, 16:07
Would be nice if we had the resources to be more than just a small nuisance.
Making them launch Q every hour or 3 doesn’t require a lot of effort on our part! Delighted to see some retribution for all those decades inconveniencing us!

What LARGE nuisance would you propose?

sycamore
20th Sep 2020, 19:59
Friday afternoon,every where,the Russians will all be in the bar,drinking vodka.........

The B Word
20th Sep 2020, 21:35
Awacs (airborne early warning and control system) Nope, that is either AEW&C or Airborne Warning And Control System - it can’t be both! :ugh:

salad-dodger
20th Sep 2020, 22:11
Nope, that is either AEW&C or Airborne Warning And Control System - it can’t be both! :ugh:
Jesus, talk about pedantry.

AEW&C does the same as AWACS. We all know why the UK called it AEW.

Bob Viking
21st Sep 2020, 03:34
Well done for winning the race to be the first to bemoan the relative number of assets of the modern UK Armed Forces.

Just out of interest what would you have us do? Throw in a couple of Storm Shadows to wake them up? Maybe a nuke?

Its not as if those damned Ruskies have been sending 30 Backfires and Bears into our vicinity on a daily basis.

The fact that we are doing anything at all is the news. It’s not about how many we send.

BV

dead_pan
21st Sep 2020, 09:12
A few thoughts:

- why publicise what we are up to? Shirley it would be better if we kept them guessing.
- its not just us. The US in particular have been particularly active of late (re recent B52 sorties over Ukraine etc)
- Russia isn't exactly replete with assets themselves. Responding to our collective activities must put quite a strain on them (maybe that's part of the plan)
- That said, it was madness to scrap Harrier...

Tocsin
21st Sep 2020, 15:08
Seeing as it is now front page news, I'll say I just had fun on FR24 watching a Sentinel go around North Cape today (and saw the same profile back in early September, when I kept schtum). I hope it continues to annoy the Soviets ;)

Doctor Cruces
21st Sep 2020, 15:50
Well done for winning the race to be the first to bemoan the relative number of assets of the modern UK Armed Forces.

Just out of interest what would you have us do? Throw in a couple of Storm Shadows to wake them up? Maybe a nuke?

Its not as if those damned Ruskies have been sending 30 Backfires and Bears into our vicinity on a daily basis.

The fact that we are doing anything at all is the news. It’s not about how many we send.

BV
Someone has to be first, just glad I could give you a reason to post. And.......
Don't be silly! Stormshadows and Nukes. I'm not a looney you know!
Having said that, the Russians can probably better afford to launch aircraft to keep tabs on us than we can to send them there in the first place, so perhaps my assertion is wrong.

Mind you, Russia doesn't care what we think and neither does anyone else for that matter as we are now just a budding third world country marooned off the European coast.

West Coast
21st Sep 2020, 22:06
Someone has to be first, just glad I could give you a reason to post. And.......
Don't be silly! Stormshadows and Nukes. I'm not a looney you know!
Having said that, the Russians can probably better afford to launch aircraft to keep tabs on us than we can to send them there in the first place, so perhaps my assertion is wrong.

Mind you, Russia doesn't care what we think and neither does anyone else for that matter as we are now just a budding third world country marooned off the European coast.

You’re off the coast of the US as well.

sycamore
22nd Sep 2020, 10:47
W-C,that`ll be someone on a `jolly`.....