PDA

View Full Version : A400M Basing

WhichWay?
16th Aug 2002, 16:16
Looks like BZN finally won then as the A400M will be based there when it comes into servbice 2008-2009-2010.... However, the decision on Lyneham's future will not be announced until Jan/Feb next year.

Just have to have an ac to base there now!!

WW

canberra
16th Aug 2002, 17:19
as far as im aware raf is only going to buy 25 a400s so c130j's will probably stay at lyneham.

BEagle
16th Aug 2002, 17:29
Whence cameth that gem of gen?

A400M will, given half a chance, be much fun to fly. Cosmic A 380-based avionics, a decent turn of speed (100 knots TAS faster than the good old Herc) and an AT/AAR capability as well.

So 99 wouldn't just be earning LandRover Air Miles, they'd be able to do a whole lot more. Or just stick with the excellent C-17 for long range trash hauling whilst some sqns' C-130Js do tactical work (Hmmm) and other sqns' A400Ms do everything including strategic AT (but without the ultimate capability of the C-17), tactical work, AAR (roughly the same capability as a VC10K4) and helicopter AAR..........

Was that OK, Brian?

Hi, Lybid!!

ORAC
16th Aug 2002, 17:39
As long as whoever wins the German elections agrees to sign the note commiting them to the full purchase and/or penalties, and in an acceptable time frame.

I see in today's paper that the Pentagon has just formally signed a contract for $9.7 billion for an additional 60 C-17s. Boeing have so far delivered 89 out of the original order for 120. The original order will be filled by 2004. The additional order will be filled by 2008.

Assuming no further slippage or problems, the ISD for the A400M is NET 2010.

WhichWay?
16th Aug 2002, 19:03
Local News:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/news/index.shtml

BTRbert
16th Aug 2002, 20:39
here we go again, bad news to the lyneham fraternity delivered by GWR and BBC Wiltshire. Whilst none of us at Lyneham will be surprised by the decision, it is, as usual, the way we learn of this news that is unacceptable.

We learnt of the sqns carve up in a hanger, we heard rumours of re-orgs by word of mouth, then in our various messes we were told not to worry, nothing would happen until Buffoon decided next Jan.

Whilst we in the military sometimes have to accept bad news, once, just once, it would be nice to be able to prepare our wives who work locally,that we might have to move again. I also feel sorry for local civvies who put a lot into RAF Lyneham.

Best bet now is that the 'J' will go to Brize early, C17 numbers will increase slightly, and the 'K' will be chopped. I'm a pessimist, and I dont trust the heirachy to come clean. Leaders....COMMUNICATE for gawds sake!! :(

WhichWay?
16th Aug 2002, 20:45
Fairdoes (sp?) the bosses at Lyneham were told to be gagged until 1530L this afternoon. Our boss called the sqn together but there was only 15 of us left by that time on a sunny friday afternoon. Not much of a suprise but as you say, the annoying thing is those who did not get the message because they were not at work or left early would have heard through the media - not the best way to find out that the future of Lyneham is seriously in the balance.

However, as a directional consultant with only 6.5 years to go to my 38 point I probably won't have a job when the move to BZN takes place anyway unless they put a Nav/WSO on the J/A400M (don't go there, I know!!)

WW

propulike
16th Aug 2002, 21:34
Very unlikely that Lyneham will remain open for 25 Hercs, so if/when the A-400 turns up looks as though the Wiltshire airbase will be sold to Persimmon/etc. Makes sense to co-locate the AT wing, so 130's, A400s and 17s at BZN, and move the tankers to Boscombe Down?

If the A400 isn't built, the only affordable option is more 130s, so perhaps Lyneham will stay open. Still a political decision affecting a political decision in my opinion.

As an aside, I thought A380 avionics were a design older than the J's? Surely we'll be getting at least new levels of equipment? (Not meant to start an argument, just curious)

BEagle
16th Aug 2002, 22:30
A380 avionics are a generation ahead of A330. Which itself is a generation ahead of anything from Lockheed.....

Chris Kebab
19th Aug 2002, 16:40
The truth of the matter is that there is absolutely no chance of a new pan-European military aircraft being in service by 2010.

Rest in your beds all you navs and eng's! I can see it now, liquidated damages to extend the K's again and pay for the use of that half of Lyneham that was due to close by 2010.

Bin Airbus - more J's and C-17s are the only real answer. IMHO.

But then again i'm not a truckie.....

BlueEagle
20th Aug 2002, 00:15
I read that the civil freighter version of the A380 will not have a nose opening door, Airbus are saying it isn't necessary whilst the freight professionals are saying it most definitely is!

Will the A400 have a nose door and just how necessary, or otherwise, is this door for military use?

BEagle
21st Aug 2002, 00:04
A400M - no nose door.

Not really needed.

BEagle
22nd Aug 2002, 06:53
House prices in British West Oxfordshire continue to spiral upwards, many of the MQs at Brize are time-expired prefabs built for a 10-year life in the mid 1960s. With the disaster which is DHE and the expected '700 new jobs' associated with A400M, what thought has been given to providing suitable housing for such folk?

If Lyneham closes, where will those currently living in quarters be re-housed?

'A 1 bedroom second floor apartment in the popular Lakeside development (Witney). The accommodation comprises living room, dining area kitchen and bathroom. Features include electric heating, double glazing and allocated parking' A snip at £120 000......... A 4 bedroom house without garage on a large housing estate? £250 000....

rivetjoint
22nd Aug 2002, 07:38
So to afford somewhere to live Mr NCO Groundcrew has to earn £35k. According to the pay scales thats in the Warrent Officer region. Thank heavans all the people who make these things fly are WOs. What would we have done if the majority were SACs or Corporals?

sprucemoose
22nd Aug 2002, 11:24
BEags, Rivet:

So, a flat in Witney costs £120k, while a 4 bedroom house without a garage will set you back £250k: welcome to southern England! This is not limited to BZN or the services - I'm going to have to shell out about £170k for a 3 bedroom semi, and I'm not on WO salary either!

Shouldn't worry too much about A400M coming to Brize anyway - the programme is as knackered as the design looks. If the truckie fleet ends up as a -130J/-17 mix surely Lyneham will be retained, and where will the current Js go even if the Bristol Beaurocrat ever gets built?

rivetjoint
22nd Aug 2002, 12:08
Indeed houses are that expensive however most people can afford some flexibility about where they work and therefore where they live. I imagine having a move forced upon you with the housing market in the inflated state its in at the moment would be a unsavoury idea for the typical pilot let alone the typical NCO, married or not.