PDA

View Full Version : Good news finally for some of the interpreter‘s

NutLoose
19th Sep 2020, 10:03
They have changed the rules to allow more of them to escape and settle here, and rightly so

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54208024

Chugalug2
19th Sep 2020, 14:20
Was this the result of a BBC campaign on the interpreters behalf, or was it the Betrayal of the Brave campaign by the Daily Mail that led to HMG's change of mind?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8749089/At-Afghan-interpreters-helped-British-troops-step-shadows.html

NutLoose
19th Sep 2020, 14:47
Either way, sense has prevailed.

Chugalug2
19th Sep 2020, 15:30
Well true enough Nutty, except that the default reaction here is to deride the Daily Mail and its readership if a link to it is posted (sometimes in the same post!) while extolling the BBC, which I suspect has done nothing on behalf of the British Military interpreters. I thought I might help redress the balance. :ok:

BEagle
19th Sep 2020, 17:43
Either way, sense has prevailed.

Darn right it has!! Excellent news indeed.

MightyGem
19th Sep 2020, 20:42
Good news indeed, but how many times have we heard this in the past and yet it's still not happened.

Chugalug2
19th Sep 2020, 21:37
You are right to be wary MG. The Daily Mail points out that even if this change were to be fully implemented it would still exclude many that were recruited as UK Forces Interpreters but who still do not fit the criteria :-

The new criteria of having worked on the front lines for 18 months and resigned for any reason – most were because of death threats, family pressure or injury – is not open to many who believe their lives are at risk but did not serve on the front lines. They have a genuine grievance.

Why do those based in Kabul who have worked more than a decade, received death threats and been attacked not qualify when, they argue, Britain has provided sanctuary to camp guards and mechanics who rarely ventured out of bases?

To a confident, resurgent Taliban, emboldened by peace talks and the release of thousands of prisoners jailed with the pivotal help of translators, it doesn’t matter where they were based, if they served six months or six years, resigned or were terminated – they are legitimate targets and traitors of Islam.

Anyone who has been employed by us in Afghanistan in this way are earmarked for revenge by the Taliban. We are duty bound to shelter them all and their immediate families, yet we have spurned them in favour of those who arrive here illegally, often with the connivance of our "Dear Friends". We are shamed by such callowness.

NutLoose
20th Sep 2020, 14:00
Agreed and what position does it put us in if we ever need similar help in the future, who the heck will put their and their families lives at risk knowing that when it all ends those you helped will cut you loose at the mercy of those from the opposing side.

trim it out
20th Sep 2020, 14:38
Agreed and what position does it put us in if we ever need similar help in the future, who the heck will put their and their families lives at risk knowing that when it all ends those you helped will cut you loose at the mercy of those from the opposing side.
Money talks.

Had some mixed experiences with interpreters, some were excellent, albeit a little robust when their BS detector started going off. Some were horrified when issued body armour and told they were going on a dismounted patrol because they only signed up for a desk job in a HQ translating documents.

My favourite was a chap called Mohammed (naturally his nickname was Mo) from Kabul. Early 40s, obese, mechanic by trade, proper Saddam style moustache, father of two (the reason he was down South for the money), terrible English, probably worse Pashto but nerves of steel. Only man I met that could strike the fear of Allah into detainees while wearing his helmet cover a quarter turn off :E

We also had one briefly called “The Bear”. Product of a Soviet rapist so had fairly light hair and complexion but was a big lad. Hated being attached to the Company I was attached to as they were Eastern European and some only spoke Russian. He was only with us for one or two Ops before being sent back to Kabul. Probably in the best interests for him and the Company.

Some of the guys kept in touch with a few of the terps via social media and I heard one was accepted into the UK. No idea what happened to the rest including the two mention above. Every now and then when I catch up with guys from the tours we do wonder what happened to most of them, hopefully not the worst.