PDA

View Full Version : Well flown that man.. and without a QRH

Centaurus
19th Sep 2020, 04:13
From a RAF Bomber Command report

Masterly Understatement

On this day in 1944, No 463 Squadron Lancaster III LM675 JO-T departed RAF Waddington for a bombing sortie against Bologne, France. The following is extracted from the pilot’s post-operation report:

"On our bombing run, immediately after "Bombs Gone" we were hit by heavy flak, causing a hole in our port wing approximately 11ft X 6ft and the ailerons severely damaged. Aircraft went out of control in a diving turn; during this time No 3 tank blew out, and exploded behind aircraft. I ordered crew to abandon aircraft and moderate control of aircraft was maintained at 4,000 ft; during which time Wireless Operator, Mid Upper and Rear Gunners endeavoured to get out of rear door. This was jammed and the handle broke off, so had to come to the front hatch which partly jammed adding further difficulties for crew trying to bail out. Eventually all members of crew apart from Pilot squeezed themselves out.

During this time reasonable controlled descent was maintained with port engines fully opened; starboard engines half throttled; full aileron and rudder bias. It is estimated crew got out at 2,000 to 3,000 ft; and at 1,500 ft; I made an effort to bail out, unsuccessfully as the aircraft dived and was uncontrollable. I regained control of the aircraft at 800 ft; and having no alternative, had to make a forced landing in the quickest possible time. Landing eventually effected in a field that was obstructed with anti-invasion posts, with my starboard engine on fire; undercarriage and flaps serviceable and operated allowing me to make a successful landing.

At the end of the landing run, to avoid further damage, swung aircraft to port, coming to rest in a wood. Made a quick getaway as starboard outer wing and engine were on fire. Throughout these extremely difficult circumstances my crew behaved in an exemplary manner and showed calm and coolness throughout. Navigator (F/Sgt. Dent) states: "Our pilot's captaincy and leadership displayed throughout those intense moments gave us confidence and inspiration. We considered aircraft impossible to fly, and how he effected a landing was, in the opinion of all of us, a miracle, and we never expected after we left that the aircraft would be landed".

Comment: So ‘moderate control’ was all that resulted from half of the left wing shot away, the right wing in shreds, the starboard engine and wing on fire, severely damaged control surfaces, fuel tanks blown away and the Lancaster falling out of the sky?

megan
19th Sep 2020, 05:41
Lancaster record gives the date as the 17th rather than 19th. A 7 could be misidentified as a 9, or vice versa. The following site gives the 17th as well, also photos of crew, aircraft after landing.Looking at the aircraft I thought crash landing was a little over dramatic :E precautionary landing? ;) (extraordinarily well executed). Hope he received some sort of recognition for such an exemplary display.

463 Squadron Lancaster III LM675 JO-T F/O. Tanner, Samer, France, crew survived, Bernieulles, Samer, France (http://aircrewremembered.com/tanner-kej.html)

aroa
19th Sep 2020, 08:12
Wow !! Now theres an adrenalin rush ! Says something about the strength of the Lancaster structure, the bravery of all concerned, and the skill of the pilot.
Bloody awesome.!

currawong
19th Sep 2020, 12:59
Surprising it did not keep burning.

Extremely good fortune none of the crew were wounded in the initial flak hit.

Good effort all round.

finestkind
20th Sep 2020, 06:20
Lancaster record gives the date as the 17th rather than 19th. A 7 could be misidentified as a 9, or vice versa. The following site gives the 17th as well, also photos of crew, aircraft after landing.Looking at the aircraft I thought crash landing was a little over dramatic :E precautionary landing? ;) (extraordinarily well executed). Hope he received some sort of recognition for such an exemplary display.

463 Squadron Lancaster III LM675 JO-T F/O. Tanner, Samer, France, crew survived, Bernieulles, Samer, France (http://aircrewremembered.com/tanner-kej.html)
Megan I think precautionary landing maybe an understatement. Agree not crash but certainly forced landing.