PDA

View Full Version : B.E.A. S1-11 at Carlisle 1969/70

Lance Shippey
18th Sep 2020, 10:07
I worked for BE. S1-11 division at MAN, and remember the flight training
on the type was sometimes done with "Touch and Goes" at Carlisle airport.
On one, possibly two of these flts, the aircraft was badly damaged, and
possibly landed "Wheels Up" I recall someone chartering an Aztec, and
with a can of paint, had to fly MAN/CAX to paint out the BEA on the a/c.
Can anyone remember seeing the a/c at CAX, or know the outcome of
the incident (s).

Lance Shippey.

Doctor Cruces
18th Sep 2020, 22:07
I remember a 500 did a wheels up at Tees Side during crew training. Was in the hanger for ages.

N707ZS
19th Sep 2020, 06:36
Sorry to jump threads Lance. Doctor Cruces have you got any photos of the aircraft in the hangar at Teesside.

DaveReidUK
19th Sep 2020, 09:26
There's no reference to the Carlisle event in the DTI/CAA annual summaries, so it doesn't seem to have been classed as an Accident. Runway excursion, perhaps?

The Teesside event involved G-AVMX on 21st February 1973. It was making a flapless landing on a training flight, where the airspeed was higher than the maximum at which the gear warning horn would operate. Oops ...

Lance Shippey
19th Sep 2020, 19:41
Dear Dave and Dr Cruces,
Thanks for the info. The MME incident could have caused a runway closure at MME
so the Aztec flew to CAX with the paint, and road to MME, although NCL would have
been closer. I remember someone saying, "It's also hit some Drums" I guess the
capt. required a change of underwear.

Lance Shippey

SWBKCB
19th Sep 2020, 20:24
Fly from MAN to CAX to get to MME? Somebody really wanted to have a go in an Aztec!

Krystal n chips
20th Sep 2020, 05:32
Fly from MAN to CAX to get to MME? Somebody really wanted to have a go in an Aztec!

Bit of thread drift here......alas, anywhere North of LTN is uncharted territory hence the requests from the Ops Dept of a certain, much loved, LTN charter operator as to could we just pop over to LBA or up to NCL as they were "just up the road ".....a succinct geography lesson was invariably included in the response...;)

Flap40
20th Sep 2020, 15:47
I know someone who was told to get a hire car from Guernsey back to Stansted.... So he did, ferry and all.

treadigraph
20th Sep 2020, 16:14
On the flip side of the coin, some 30 years ago I received an invoice at work for £10k from PLM for a helicopter flight from (I think) Sumburgh to Inverness. A couple of our chaps had missed their Dan-Air 748 flight after a late running ferry trip back from Unst, so rather than rebook the flight for the following day and find a hotel, the senior engineer simply chartered a Squirrel. We paid it but I gather there was a rather interesting interview held with the culprit. Good job there wasn't a Bizjet outfit on the airfield, they'd have likely slummed it back to Gatters on a Learjet...

Doctor Cruces
26th Sep 2020, 14:04
Sorry to jump threads Lance. Doctor Cruces have you got any photos of the aircraft in the hangar at Teesside.
Sorry for late reply.
No unfortunately not. I was very young at the time and probably didn't own a camera either!
Doc C