PDA

View Full Version : Query re tax deductions allowable for commercial pilots in NZ

HarbourMaster
18th Sep 2020, 05:11
Hi Folks,

I'm probably going to get disclaimers and people telling me they can't tell me, but I'm wondering what info there is, or is common knowledge regarding what unemployed pilots can claim as a tax deduction.

My situation:
I have a NZ CPL but haven't been employed as a pilot. My BFR has lapsed and so has my class 1 medical. Originally I was just ticking a box to get my cpl, but now I'm thinking about doing an instructors rating, part time, and hopefully work on my weekends earning some pocket money teaching the next generation. You know, once the industry recovers and suddenly the clubs are looking for instructors.

So with that in mind:
Can I claim costs for to renew medical for instance and for the BFR renewal flight (or umm flights).

Can you claim flight training costs for an instructors rating, even though.not yet employed? If an organisation employs you as a pilot, but pays to upskill you as an instructor, could they claim those costs?

Once you are employed, as an instructor, could you claim costs for an instrument rating, with the intent to be able to provide instrument training as well. This looks like it could be classed as "professional development''.

So if anybody happy to respond or point me in the direction of somebody who could provide this kind of advice
I would appreciate your input. Obviously I won't be holding anybody to their word, just happy for somebody to share what they know, or what they think they know eh.

Thanks

Lasiorhinus
19th Sep 2020, 04:08
Short answer, no, you can't claim anything,

Long answer - go have a chat to an accountant, but NZ tax laws aren't set up for this.

Buswinker
19th Sep 2020, 04:17
My understanding is that generally individuals can’t claim any tax deductions in NZ, only businesses can

mattyj
25th Sep 2020, 20:26
Set yourself up as a company somehow. That’s the only way..you’ll have to get your instructing job as a contractor..if anyone actually wants to pay you to instruct after all this crap

HarbourMaster
27th Sep 2020, 00:56
Thanks folks. I appreciate your replies.