PDA

View Full Version : Employment type of Airlines in Europe (direct employment contract/ service provision)

pilot.adena
17th Sep 2020, 08:18
Hello PPRuNe users!

After I graduate from my flight school, I will be licensed to work in Europe and I wondered if you could help me decide on which airline to approach. One of my pilot friends advised me to look for an airline that offers direct employment contracts instead of service provision ones for job security/benefits, and I wanted to ask which type of employment various Airlines in Europe use?

Banana Joe
17th Sep 2020, 18:32
Have you signed up to a flight school without making proper homework?
And unfortunately I think you won't have to worry about airline employment for the next few years...

WhatShortage
17th Sep 2020, 20:37
Don't worry about the jobs unless your parents or family are the owners of the actual airline/airplane :). Try on 2022 if we are very lucky or probably on 2023 with a lot of luck

parkfell
17th Sep 2020, 20:47
A troll perhaps?

Can any prospective ATO graduate be this naive?
The provider’s careers advice dept is best placed to give advice...

PilotLZ
17th Sep 2020, 23:16
If we put aside the delay in employment which you're more than likely to face due to COVID, why do you think that a contract of employment is necessarily better than a (decently formulated) service agreement? Sadly, greater job security is not guaranteed to an employee, as opposed to a contractor. Both can stay in the company for years while their services are required and both can get kicked out in the drop of a hat once no longer needed. You might be lucky to get some mandatory severance payment if you are made redundant while holding a contract of employment, but it all depends on the provisions in the specific contract and on the national legislation of whichever country it was signed it. On a similar note, things like pay, annual leave and so on may be quite good for someone working on a service agreement and really bad for someone on a classic contract of employment. So, the type of contract is not what you should be worried about now. Let alone that your first job is extremely unlikely to be your last one and, even if you have to compromise something for the sake of getting a foot in the door, you will have the chance to make up for it by getting a better job once you've gained some experience.