PDA

View Full Version : USA or UK Pilot Career

Flys4Funs
16th Sep 2020, 19:55
If you had the choice of where to start training and your career in the next 12 months which would you choose USA or UK? I had a place on the EZY MPL and was supposed to start training earlier this year, but now that’s out the window I’m considering which continent would be better. I have right to live/work in both regions. Main benefits I see of UK would be faster route to airline (which is a factor for me as I’m slightly older), if they start recruiting anytime in the next 3 years. Main benefits of USA I see are more options after you have the 1,500 hours build.

rudestuff
16th Sep 2020, 21:42
The answer is obvious: keep your options open and do both.

spitfirejock
20th Sep 2020, 15:14
I agree with rudestuff, do both!

There are a few ATO's in the USA that are approved for FAA and EASA training. A couple of them advertise that you can complete both licences for about the same price (no conversion needed) as just one elsewhere. Its all about how you structure it.

I suggest you give them all of them a call and talk through your options, but remember, run a mile from any ATO that's want you to pay more than 25% of the cost upfront. Keep you account no more exposed than that at any time - preferably less!

If you do your research properly you will be able to narrow down to a very short list those that will enroll you with just $1,000-$2,000 on account at any time - a safe place to be. Also I see one ATO urging students to just commit to the PPL and then decide afterwards taking it in stages to suit your budget and confidence in the market. I don't think anybody could go wrong with such a conservative and thoughtful approach.

Good luck....it might be interesting to others if you would post some details of the responses you get?

rudestuff
21st Sep 2020, 14:59
You're one lucky individual with that cash and those passports. For the cost of an MPL and a few years in the States you could have an FAA ATP(A), EASA fATPL(A), FAA ATP(H), EASA fATPL(H), all 4 instructor ratings and probably some float plane time too 😜

truckflyer
21st Sep 2020, 17:41
I would say good to do both, however flying career in the USA is much better than Europe. If I had the chance I would have gone to the USA, pay and conditions once you are established with a proper airline is much better in the USA then Low Cost Europe.