PDA

View Full Version : Lest We Forget

Bob Viking
13th Nov 2014, 01:09
Apologies for the tardiness of this post but I had meant to post it the other day and then began a self imposed exile from the forum to get some work done!
We often say how 'we will remember them' but I thought I'd go one step further. Please humour me for a few moments whilst I ramble!
I remember an ITV documentary from about 1995 following an F3 Sqn through Maple Flag. Top Guns I think it was called. Anyway a Sqn Ldr pilot told how he'd known several people, maybe a dozen, who'd died in service and I, at the time, found it hard to believe. However as I sit here now it is terrifying how many mates and acquaintances have fallen along the way. So to add a personal note to my Rememberance Day I thought I'd list them. Some I knew better than others but I wish they could all be with their families right now.

Gp Capt Mike Seares
Sqn Ldr Ant Downing
Sqn Ldr Rimon Than
Lt Rob Dunn
Flt Lt Jon Egging
Flt Lt Sean Cunningham
Flt Lt David Sale
Flt Lt Steven 'Baz' Barrett
Flt Lt Adam Sanders
Flt Lt Hywel Poole
Flt Lt Andy Smith
Flt Lt Al Squires
Flt Lt Rachel Clarke
Flt Lt Manu Akhouri
Plt Off Steve Lawrence
Cpl Nick Lock

Apologies for the morbid nature of my post but when I say 'we will remember them' these are the faces I see.

Stay safe everyone.

BV

junior.VH-LFA
13th Nov 2014, 01:24
Lieutenant Marcus Case.

Lest we forget.

P.S, a great thread Bob.

Old-Duffer
13th Nov 2014, 06:06
The Roll of Honour in St Clement Danes might reduce you to tears or at least to a dark mood of quiet reflection. For those who died on duty, the panels of the Armed Forces Memorial at Alrewas provide an even more stark reminder of loss.

At present, I am seeking to get a name added to the memorial. He was a Master Pilot who died of a heart attack on the sea survival course at Mountbatten in 1966. The rub seems to be 'heart attack' but as it was induced by the cold water when he was undergoing training and on duty, I don't see the problem - outcome awaited!

Old Duffer

Al R
13th Nov 2014, 06:16
I was on the A14 and decided to find somewhere to pull in well in advance, a task which still proved almost impossible. Thankfully, I was in a Volvo 4x4 and decided to put some driver training to good use. The lay-by was full of middle aged blokes who looked broadly similar to me and after the two minutes, we all politely gave way to each other, drove off together and kept formation for a couple of miles, maybe subconsciously.. who knows. I sensed we had a similar background and the same agenda.

Well remembered Bob.

whowhenwhy
13th Nov 2014, 17:35
I lit a candle for bullseye, amongst other friends and family, in St Clement Danes early on the morning of the 11th. Audax omnia perpetti.

Typhoon93
13th Nov 2014, 18:12
Lest We Forget.
Great thread, Bob, and well remembered. :-(

T.

Lima Juliet
13th Nov 2014, 19:16
BV - the TV program you're looking for is here: Top Guns 3 Pt 1 - YouTube this is a link to one of the episodes.

It's a pretty poor facimile of what actually happened on Maple Flag. The book on the exercise, by Hugh McManners (ex RM and SBS with a MiD from the FIs), is so much better (in my opinion).

LJ :ok:

Lima Juliet
13th Nov 2014, 19:30
Yes, the first time I realised that this fast jet flying business was not a game was when poor old Phil "PMAR" Martin copped it at Chivenor very early on when I just started flying Hawks. I can also remember in the mid 90s it felt like I was going to funerals of mates 2-3 times a year. When I look to remember I find these websites help me remember the dates and their faces - it's absolutely spot when they say "they do not grow old" and it makes me realise how very lucky I have been with 2000hrs+ on Martin-Baker's finest without pulling the handle.

Hawk ejections (http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/Aircraft_by_Type/HAWK/HAWK.htm)

TORNADO ejections (http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/aircraft_by_type/tornado.htm)

LJ

Bob Viking
13th Nov 2014, 20:45
I had assumed that if the worst happened that it would be mates on FJs that were most likely to come to grief. Sadly the first two mates I lost were on a Lynx and a Hercules respectively. It makes you realise that we all do a (sometimes) dangerous job.

BV

Tashengurt
13th Nov 2014, 21:05
During the two minutes I remember Cpl Dave Williams. We were friends for but a few months during trade training but his loss shocked the Squipping world.
I also indulge myself in remembering PC Tony Jinks. He also served, albeit in a darker hue of blue.

NutLoose
13th Nov 2014, 21:55
And let us not forget the likes of Anne Marie Noble and wallah (Nick), both from this forum who served and lost the battle to that insidious enemy, Cancer. Their bravery was an inspiration to us all.

LoeyDaFrog
13th Nov 2014, 22:56
For me, it’s the crew and pax of XV179; I felt (and still feel) honoured to have served with them.

Old-Duffer
14th Nov 2014, 05:45
It may be sobering to look at the wider picture.

Between 8 May 1945 and 30 August 2009, the RAF lost, through flying accidents and occasional enemy action, 9300 aircraft written off and there were in excess of 6000 fatal casualties resulting. Included in this last number are the (mostly) RAF pax in a trooping York, which crashed in Malta, and the parachutists - British and Italian - lost in a Hastings and a Hercules. It also includes the occasional casualty on the ground. The figures do not include military and dependents lost in another trooping accident over the Atlantic, nor generally does it include casualties in Korea. Until 1957, most Army casualties and aircraft losses are included in the numbers I have quoted.

If one studies the accident rates, in 1945 the RAF was losing up to ten aircraft per day and on a single day in March 1946, for example, 10 Sqn lost three Dakotas with their crews and air despatchers. If one looks at the MOD and RAF Museum websites, there is a copy of the RAF Historical Society journal dealing with flight safety and one of the papers deals specifically with post-war losses.

Old Duffer

peppermint_jam
14th Nov 2014, 09:13
Mike Harland was a true gent who was never too busy to speak to us groundcrew folk.

teeteringhead
14th Nov 2014, 10:00
Teetering Towers is not a million miles from the National Arboretum at Alrewas, which I most strongly recommend. Too many mates' names inscribed there on the main memorial though. :(

"Too full already is the grave
Of fellows who were good and brave;
And died because they were."

Much dust blowing in the air there too ..............

Skeleton
14th Nov 2014, 10:05
22 June 1979. Flt Lt John Skinner, he was duty pilot in the morning and I at 17 yrs old was the local assistant. He as usual was trying to help me with the weather etc and then his face lit up. "Got a trip this afternoon Ian, USAF exchange officer can't fly" He was so made up, as he left he said "Enjoy your afternoon off, one day I will put you in the back seat"

The back seat happened but it sadly was not with him, (Jaguar T2 XX142)

Still haunts me, but every year I remember him.

Alber Ratman
14th Nov 2014, 10:41
Great thread BV, of course a few names on your list I knew as well, tragic that they were taken so early. Mike Harland as well, I was chatting to him as they signed for that aircraft to test it on that horrible day (worst ever in my RAF career), also Baz Barwood, who I was working with on 903. RIP all.

Brian 48nav
14th Nov 2014, 11:14
During my 8 years in the RAF I was very fortunate not to lose many mates - obviously as a nav' who went to the transport world I was somewhat sheltered from the harsh realities of pilot training and I knew hardly any of the fighter and bomber fatalities in my time.

IIRC 4 Shacks' were lost around late '67/early '68 and Dave Love (2nd nav on 205 Sqn's loss over The Indian Ocean ) was the only one I knew.

From my nav' course, 88, Harry Pittard died in a Canberra crash near Marham in '70 or '71.

Of the 3 Herc' fatal crashes, I only knew Tony Barrett, skipper who died at Colerne in Sept' '73 - I knew who Colin Harrison ( the skipper who died in the sea off Pisa, Nov' '71 ) was, and sadly saw the fireball from our Herc' 2 behind in the formation.

An old mate, Graham Young, died in the '93 Herc' crash in Scotland.

RIP you all - I still remember you.

Bob V

My Jag mate off-spring will have known several of those in your list - a name not there and one of the saddest unnecessary deaths was his best-man, brother-in-law and confidante, Grp Capt Tom Barrett - killed on his cycle by a white-van man outside Northolt.

victor tango
14th Nov 2014, 17:36
May I respectfully give my condolences for all your losses.
As for yourselves, may the good Lord watch over you in what you do.
Be safe.

MPN11
14th Nov 2014, 18:09
Frank Whitehouse (F6)
Peter Thompson (F6)
Graham Southard (C-130)

ValMORNA
14th Nov 2014, 19:59
P/O KCS Dight
April 1956 DH Vampire 4FTS
(Student Pilot)

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 20:39
As ground crew on Nimrods I always felt quite isolated from the losses. Then we lost '66, but fortunately the crew survived. XV230 really brought it home to me and I will always remember the Flt Eng, Flt Sgt Ady Davies. RIP.

S-D

Bob Viking
4th Nov 2015, 18:54
When I started this thread last year I hoped my list would never get any bigger. Sadly I have one more person to think about on 11 Nov.

Once again apologies for being morbid and I promise this will not become an annual dredging up of the same thread. I just got to thinking once again and it bloody terrifies me.

Fly Lt Kev Donoghue. RIP.

BV

NutLoose
4th Nov 2015, 22:10
Walking past a local church today I was pleasantly surprised to see a cluster of about 30 ceramic poppies which appear to be the ones from the Tower of London exhibition, one can surmise that the church purchased enough to represent the fallen from the village as we come close to Remembrance Day. I intend to photograph them and will put a picture up.
On my walk there is a bench and a tree planted with plaques for a soldier lost in NI too, what a peaceful and restful area it is in, looking out over the village pond, a far cry from the troubles in NI.

smujsmith
5th Nov 2015, 19:43
As a native of Edingale, very near the National Memorial Arboretum, I often take the chance to pay a visit on my trips "home". So far my wife and myself have visited five or more times, and find the whole place somewhere that helps to put the losses of our friends in some perspective. It's good to have somewhere to go, where memories can be jogged and respects duly paid. I would always look to remember my mates Gary Nichokson and Mark Gibson who were lost on the shooting down of XV179 in Iraq 7 Feb 2005;

Squadron Leader Patrick Marshall, Headquarters Strike Command, aged 39
Flight Lieutenant David Stead, 47 Squadron, RAF Lyneham, aged 35, from Yorkshire
Flight Lieutenant Andrew Smith, 47 Squadron, RAF Lyneham, aged 25
Flight Lieutenant Paul Pardoel, 47 Squadron, RAF Lyneham, aged 35
Master Air Engineer Gary Nicholson, 47 Squadron, RAF Lyneham, aged 42
Chief Technician Richard Brown, RAF Lyneham, aged 40
Flight Sergeant Mark Gibson, 47 Squadron, RAF Lyneham, aged 34
Sergeant Robert O’Connor, RAF Lyneham, aged 38
Corporal David Williams, RAF Lyneham, aged 37
Acting Lance Corporal Steven Jones, Royal Signals, aged 25, from Fareham

RIP all, you live in our memories.

Smudge

NutLoose
5th Nov 2015, 22:27
Although it was raining, I returned to take some photos today, I hope you do not mind me posting them, I will not name the Church unless asked by PM as they are accessible from the road and are frequently passed.

What a glorious and poignant reminder, especially as they were laid in London originally to symbolise all of those who died during the war in the service of their country and in a way it means the fallen few from the village have been repatriated home, so to speak.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/RAF/Poppies-2_zpshiwlgex4.jpg~original

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/RAF/Poppies-3_zpshqpbahcj.jpg~original

Lest we forget....

glad rag
5th Nov 2015, 23:35
Very moving indeed Nutty.

Thinking of my service mates who, due to those weird quirks of fate have passed, whilst I am still here.

I can't imagine them in their late 50's now: I will always rememberer them as spotty, scared AC's and "rebellious & mischievous" FT's at Halton and beyond...

Bless Lads.

woptb
6th Nov 2015, 00:15
The Jones brothers, Tom, Eddy & Leonard. At the going down of the sun......

Landlocked1
6th Nov 2015, 19:34
Reading these posts regarding Herc XV179 reminds me of a spooky part of my own entry in my RAF form 414 (log book to those not in the know). I was only a ground tradesman and flew a mere 14 times in a ten year career but my first two RAF flights caught me by surprise on checking them a while back.
The first flight I had in the forces was 24Nov77 in XV179 to Decimomanu on detachment from Marham in this ill-fated aircraft later to be sadly shot down in Baghdad in 2005. Imagine my surprise when my second flight, a mere 6 days later on 30Nov , was in a Canberra WH667 also later lost after an engine failure in Cyprus in 1978 in which the two crew died. I remember the funerals at Marham , very sad all round. Respect and RIP to them all .

Chugalug2
9th Nov 2015, 08:07
We remembered in our West Sussex town yesterday, along with every other town and village in the country. Evidently the largest ever contingent on parade this year, mainly of organised youth movements, from Beavers through to the various military cadet forces.

Once again though the timing of the two minutes silence seemed to take place simply when it was reached in the order of the service rather than being exactly at eleven o'clock, so that the church clock (recently overhauled and now keeping very good time) chimed at at the end and not the beginning of the silence. Was this intentional? No-one explained, but to me (bred on many time hacks and much synchronising of watches) it grated.

With that one proviso, it was a moving experience that involved the young and the old, the high and the low. We are an undemonstrative people on the whole, but when we do feel moved to show our feelings en masse it is all the more meaningful.

Finally, we used to have a Remembrance sticky put up here at this time of year by PPRuNe Pop. Whatever happened to it, mods, or to Pop for that matter?

Tankertrashnav
9th Nov 2015, 09:09
As usual Mrs TTN and I attended the annual Remembrance Sunday service at Wendron Parish Church here in West Cornwall. It's a typical rural church with a small congregation, and the experience is a million miles away from Whitehall, but nevertheless very moving. A nice touch is the local police always stand by and close the road which passes the churchyard for the period of the two minutes silence out by the war memorial. Motorists had a longer than usual wait this year as the vicar got lost in contemplation and waited at least three minutes before giving the nod to the buglers to mark the end of the silence!

Landlocked - "I was only a ground tradesman"? No "only" about it - everybody had/has their job to do, from FJ pilot to cook!

teeteringhead
9th Nov 2015, 10:04
Landlocked - "I was only a ground tradesman"? No "only" about it - everybody had/has their job to do, from FJ pilot to cook! Indeed so!!

I always remember the tale of Gus Grissom (IIRC) visiting a hangar (or NASA equivalent) at Cape Kennedy and talking to a bloke sweeping up.

GG: What do you do here?

Sweeper: I'm helping to put a man on the Moon! ......

...... and he was :ok:

NutLoose
9th Nov 2015, 11:52
I'd like to add 1/2R Mitchell, a true gent.

Wander00
9th Nov 2015, 13:57
At 1430 local on 11 Nov, representing RAFA Sud Ouest France I will be laying the wreath on the memorial at Angles, Vendee, to those of the crew of a Halifax lost after a raid on La Pallice and thereafter we will place poppy crosses on the graves in Angles cemetery of those crew members who lost their lives

Site du crash du bombardier Halifax L.9527 TL-M du Sqn 35 le 24 juillet 1941, parti de Stanton Harcourt pour bombarder La Pallice.
Equipage : F/S C.A.Godwin, Sgt G.G.Esnouf, Sgt C.H.Newstead, P/O G.A.Eperon, Sgt E.O.T.Balcomb, Sgt R.T.Rudlin, F/S S.H.J.Shirley. Sgt E.O.T.Balcomb et P/O G.A.Eperon ont été faits prisonniers.

brokenlink
10th Nov 2015, 13:39
Wander00, thanks for that hope the event went well. Loads of people in Ely On Sunday for the service and parade. Cathedral service to its normal high standard.

Wander00
10th Nov 2015, 15:38
BL - thanks, mine is tomorrow. Reminds me that when I was OC Admin at Wyton, early 90s, after the Station Remembrance service, I would set off with a boot full of poppy wreaths destined for the many RAF graves in small local churchyards. With me would be youngest W, then 4 or 5, and he would help me lay the wreaths - now at 27 he has a very firm idea of what Remembrance means.,

brokenlink
10th Nov 2015, 18:38
Wander, trying to do something of that sort this week as amongst the RAF graves in Ely graveyard there is an ATC Cadet under a CWG headstone. He was a London lad visiting RAF Witchford so I dont suppose he gets much by way of visitors these days.

Wander00
10th Nov 2015, 19:46
BL - that I never knew - must look next time I am in Ely. Sadly may not be unique but certainly unusual

Antrim Kate
10th Nov 2015, 20:34
Saw Mrs Stead, Mrs Gibson and Mrs Williams on telly on Saturday night.

So dignified, but it must still hurt so much...

smujsmith
10th Nov 2015, 22:28
AK,

Same here, perhaps sometimes our memories of comrades who have passed cloud our view of those they left behind. Mrs G is a close neighbour of ours, though she doesn't know it, and I enjoyed some good trips with Mark. I wonder why ?

Smudge

Il Duce
11th Nov 2015, 20:11
RAF Waddington more or less came to standstill today between 1050 & 1105 and the Reds took time out from their training programme at Scampton around the same to show respect to the fallen. Cranwell, on the other hand, decided to fly on regardless throughout the traditional two minute silence. Shame. On the same level as the woman in the black coat in Westminster garden who, about 15 seconds into the two minute silence, pulled out her smart phone to film those around her. No respect, no sense, not a clue.

Tashengurt
11th Nov 2015, 20:48
Saw Mrs Stead, Mrs Gibson and Mrs Williams on telly on Saturday night.

So dignified, but it must still hurt so much...

Having trained with Dave Williams I have often wondered how his family were faring since losing him.
Glad to see they're doing ok and have formed these bonds with the other families.
His eldest looks like a fine young man I'm sure Dave would have been proud of. Especially since he seems to take after his mother!

Skeleton
11th Nov 2015, 23:47
Landlocked - "I was only a ground tradesman"? No "only" about it - everybody had/has their job to do, from FJ pilot to cook!

Tankertrashnav

As soon as I read the original I knew that you or Courtney Mil would be onto it like a flash. You did not let me down :D

ExAscoteer
12th Nov 2015, 00:32
Every November there is a little piece of me that cries for those that we have lost. For me, some of it is personal, as it is for others. But we do it. We stand there and we honour our (lost) friends.

And inside us, a little piece of us is screaming . So we stand there, at Attention, as we hear the Last Post played; some of us hold the Salute until Reveille is played (and we try not to cry).

Then we turn and we march away to survive another year. We don't forget our lost friends, we place them somewhere safe such that we don't fall apart and such that they KNOW we won't fall apart. THAT's how we care for them, THAT'S how we keep them alive.

Old-Duffer
12th Nov 2015, 05:42
In one of the early posts on this Thread, I said that I was trying to get the name of a Master Pilot, killed on a sea survival course, added to the Armed Forces Memorial at Alrewas.

Although it took some time whilst the facets were checked and decisions arrived at, I am pleased to say that the name of Master Pilot G D Howarth will be added to the memorial in due course. The only downside is that I have been unable to find any pointers to his family and their whereabouts, although I have located his place of birth and location and date of marriage but there the trail goes cold.

Old Duffer

Tarnished
14th Sep 2020, 11:29
Please allow me a moment of reflection.

The words that follow were penned by a good man, a top man, my best man. Sadly he is no longer with us, taken too soon like many others. There but for the grace of God go I and the countless many that were lucky to have had a narrow escape (or two) along the way thanks to Martin Baker.

Until we soar again:

Ewan Murdoch
Martin Ramsay
Paul Gay
Mark Hanna
Mike Thompson
Guy Bancroft-Wilson
Dave Frost
Leigh Fox
Neil McClaghllan
John Sewell
Byron Clew
CJ Weightman
Mike Auckland
Graham Wardle
Falcon Eddie
Trevor Roche
Mike Harland
Dave Stock
Mike Sears

He’s gone, that friend of mine,
His smile, his face, his joy of living.
Never more to sit on my wing,
To soar the heights totally free.

He’s gone, his life spent
In one brilliant, beautiful, burst of light.
No pain, no thoughts, just darkness.
His life glorious to the end.

His cheeky arrogance still rings in our ears,
His voice is still in our conversation.
We talk, we relive, he has not gone.
He listens now and smiles.

We will not let him go,
He lives on in our hearts and in our souls,
And we wait patiently for the day,
The day when once more we can soar together, totally free.

Once you’ve gotten that bit of dust out of your eye, please feel free to add a comment with your own names of those you’ve lost doing the job we love

LoeyDaFrog
28th Nov 2020, 10:23
Fred Skeets
Dave Stead
Andrew Smith
Paul Pardoel
Gary Nicholson
Mark Gibson
Patrick Marshall
Richard Brown
Bob O'Connor
David Williams
Steven Jones
Andy Marshall
Gavin Richardson
Joe Berry

sycamore
28th Nov 2020, 21:28
Sam Smith
Jack Canham ,DFC,Pathfinder
Bert Fraser,-still MIA

RAFEngO74to09
29th Nov 2020, 00:55
Doug Stein
Chris Rounce
Chris Meade
Dick Mott
Ian Johnson
Mark Hanna
Jack Thompson
Ian Redwood
Mike Barnard
Bill Green
Neil Anderson
Nigel Elsdon
Max Collier
Gary Lennox
Kev Weeks
Steve Hicks
Hylton Price
Patrick Marshall

Bob Viking
29th Nov 2020, 01:43
https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/551163-remembering-fallen-3.html

This is my own thread from a few years back, along the same lines.

Sadly there are more names to add:

Sqn Ldr Andy Bull
Sqn Ldr Nic de Candole
Sqn Ldr Phil McConell
Captain Tom McQueen
Mzm Suleiman al Balushi
Cpl Jonathan Bayliss

BV

Engines
29th Nov 2020, 10:53
Andy George

Lima Juliet
29th Nov 2020, 14:41
Seen on the internet recently.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1420x2000/aad0e58d_bfae_4e93_b865_0dd1043793f6_1912ab9e2deec4d9334b92c 04e8e33db04683196.jpeg

Evalu8ter
29th Nov 2020, 17:04
Engines, one of those occasions I wish we had a ‘like’ or ‘care’ facility.

PapaDolmio
29th Nov 2020, 19:11
Seen on the internet recently.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1420x2000/aad0e58d_bfae_4e93_b865_0dd1043793f6_1912ab9e2deec4d9334b92c 04e8e33db04683196.jpeg
Not strictly an RAF Tornado loss I guess, but not forgetting OLt Peter Castner, Sqn Ldr Bernie Towl, TTTE, 17th June 86, Claerwen, Wales.

Busta
29th Nov 2020, 20:42
Al Riley
Chris Lackman
Jerry Ogg

Barksdale Boy
30th Nov 2020, 02:00
Tom Wilbourne

Bob Viking
30th Nov 2020, 02:28
The memorial shown above says that Kieran Duffy and Norman Dent died on Masirah, Oman. I always understood their accident to have happened in Saudi. Can anyone confirm or deny which is correct please?

BV

spoff
30th Nov 2020, 14:21
BV.

Sortie was due to land at Masirah for a turn, but crashed en route. Seem to recall crash site was in Oman, but not at, or close to, Masirah (was on loan service there at the time)

Sad day as knew Duff well from Linton-good lad.

S

RAFEngO74to09
1st Dec 2020, 00:45
Tornado GR1 ZD718 accident was 140 miles west of Masirah - steep turn at very low level 4 days before the start of the Op DESERT STORM Air Campaign.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/55434

Bob Viking
1st Dec 2020, 01:06
Thanks everyone.

BV

Mogwi
1st Dec 2020, 15:08
Tornado GR1 ZD718 accident was 140 miles west of Masirah - steep turn at very low level 4 days before the start of the Op DESERT STORM Air Campaign.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/55434

As my late Pa used to say -"Never fly below half your wingspan".

Nick Taylor
John E-J
Al Curtis
Gordie Batt

All still on CAP down south.

Mog

just another jocky
1st Dec 2020, 16:51
Not strictly an RAF Tornado loss I guess, but not forgetting OLt Peter Castner, Sqn Ldr Bernie Towl, TTTE, 17th June 86, Claerwen, Wales.

Interesting. Greg Hurst's crash (Jan 99), actually a mid-air collision, was in a TTTE jet. We were both instructors there at the time. I was one of his pall-bearers. RiP m8.

Wasn't it John Towl? Again, I was there at the time. Student pilot aborted from low level in poor weather, got the recovery wrong leaving the burners in and became disoriented. John ejected them but was outside seat limits.

Perhaps it's only RAF jets on the poster.

LOMCEVAK
1st Dec 2020, 17:32
Sadly my list is long, with many of the names already posted here so I will not repeat them. But there are some others, very close to home, who will never be forgotten and who constantly remind me of my own mortality:

Bill Graham
Tony White ('Big T')
Hoof Proudfoot
Alex Parr

Rest In Peace

PapaDolmio
1st Dec 2020, 17:46
Interesting. Greg Hurst's crash (Jan 99), actually a mid-air collision, was in a TTTE jet. We were both instructors there at the time. I was one of his pall-bearers. RiP m8.

Wasn't it John Towl? Again, I was there at the time. Student pilot aborted from low level in poor weather, got the recovery wrong leaving the burners in and became disoriented. John ejected them but was outside seat limits.

Perhaps it's only RAF jets on the poster.

Could well have been, it was a long time ago! IIRC he was known as Bernie around the Groundschool when he was an Instructor and was on his Conversion Course on A Sqn.

ex-fast-jets
1st Dec 2020, 20:07
In addition to others already mentioned........

Jeremy Hall
Steve Wakely
Andy Bloxham
Jim Downey
John Roberts
Keith Holland
Brian Weatherley
Paul Adams

FantomZorbin
2nd Dec 2020, 06:23
Brendan Kaye
Jim Lanfranchi

JENKINS
2nd Dec 2020, 11:44
Amazing to see the names; students, passing acquaintances from various pubs, and so on. One in the latest with whom I shared a soccer tour in Cyprus from Muharraq for example, all bring memories. Yesterday my wife bumped into a squadron crash survivor from 1972, a regular sharer of coffee and cake when not in lockdown. From this encounter I give you a colleague from two squadrons -

Brian Bastable

Haraka
2nd Dec 2020, 16:57
I remember on Ground School being told by our instructor
" Laugh, but look around. In a few years 10% of you will no longer be wth us..
That Class included Peter Stacey and Nigel Elsdon........

JENKINS
2nd Dec 2020, 17:27
Should our new-found freedom allow travel to Salisbury, Elsdon remembered in lovely Saint Thomas church, with decent breakfast in cafe opposite.

hum
4th Nov 2021, 14:14
Keith Holland
Bruce Cogram
Lawrence Warner
Tom Bayliff
Nigel Storah
John Carver
Greg Lane USN
Dave Sunderland
Berndan Hearney
Dave Haward
Paul Gunnell
Ken Hayr

We will remember them

ex-fast-jets
4th Nov 2021, 15:30
Let me add to the list.........

Mark Hare

NutLoose
4th Nov 2021, 21:07
A couple from my past

Arthur Mitchell
Chris Taylor
Dick Langworthy
Brian Jopling

And all from my ex RAFG Sqn who I knew

Dave Critchley
Mark (Jara) Jaroszynski
Dick Wharmby
Ron Sedlickas
Eddie Miskelly
Bill Cunningham
David Cousins
Mike Scouse Brown
John Temple
Terry (Gus) Angus

And those from this forum who are no longer with us from

CoffmanStarter through to Danny42c

gone but not forgotten.

​​​​​​…

cavuman1
4th Nov 2021, 22:17
CoffmanStarter through to Danny42c - Very thoughtful additions to the list of the unforgotten, NutLoose.

- Ed

NutLoose
5th Nov 2021, 03:27
Thanks, I would like to add Cliffnemo (Clifford Leach) I am unsure if he is no longer with us or if anyone knows, but he started the gaining pilots wings during ww2 thread, he stopped posting and ceased posting on the site below in 2012, it would be a tradgedy if his passing wasn’t remarked on here as he was an inspiration.

View Profile: cliffnemo - RAFCommands Forums (http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/member.php?814-cliffnemo)

Date of BirthJanuary 18, 1923 (98)About cliffnemoBiography:EX WW2 W/O PILOTLocation:LVERPOOLInterests:BIRD, BACCY AND BEEROccupation:RETIRED , THANK GOD

kaitakbowler
5th Nov 2021, 05:44
Flt Lt Fiona Johnstone PMRAFNS, Master Aircrew Peter Barwell AFC, Cpl Martin Cook PMRAFNS.
Not forgotten

ORAC
30th Jan 2022, 12:48
https://twitter.com/dazryllo/status/1487711094621851653?s=21

Wasser
2nd Feb 2022, 10:26
A couple from my past
And all from my ex RAFG Sqn who I knew
Dave Critchley
Mark (Jara) Jaroszynski
Dick Wharmby
Ron Sedlickas
Eddie Miskelly
Bill Cunningham
David Cousins
Mike Scouse Brown
John Temple
Terry (Gus) Angus
​​​​​​…
A smile slowly came across my face as I remembered and reminisced. Fellow Wassers Dave Cousins and John Temple, FLMs Jara and Scouse, and Gus Angus, et al. I spent three of my happiest years with these guys. RIP

Mrmungus
13th Dec 2022, 20:20
I will add Bernie Worthington who was on the Nimrod in Canada. We shared a room at Brawdy.