PDA

View Full Version : Cathay to park a/c long term

cannot
14th Sep 2020, 05:38
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3101421/hong-kongs-cathay-pacific-aims-survival-it-grounds-two

As one reader posted , collapse HK’s economy for 100 deaths , HK is handling the Covid crisis well but at what cost to the general population and economy

Curry Lamb
14th Sep 2020, 07:27
Standard cry wolf, scaremongering, sky falling reporting as we move closer to open season on 1 October.
Danny boy collecting some good overtime and commission this month. Yawn

Jetdream
14th Sep 2020, 07:45
Is there anything official on this or is it another one from his ‘source’?
He is talking as if it’s from the company but I can’t find jack.

unitedabx
14th Sep 2020, 08:03
60 parking slots in Alice Springs booked with 27 already taken. Another 24 booked in Arizona. You do the maths.

MENELAUS
14th Sep 2020, 10:13
Inside sources again ? Wrong as usual. In fact the sunnier climes of Central Spain are more likely for some of our aircraft.

And the Swedish model is looking pretty damn good at the moment.

LLLQNH
14th Sep 2020, 10:52
Inside sources again ? Wrong as usual. In fact the sunnier climes of Central Spain are more likely for some of our aircraft.

Don't know about Spain. But Tarbes in France is going to be used for some of the Airbus fleet from CX and KA as they have the approvals apparently. Anyway who cares where they get parked/abandoned the fact the fleets are shrinking is what is concerning.

unitedabx
14th Sep 2020, 10:52

Spanish parking resorts FULL.

BuzzBox
14th Sep 2020, 11:46
Is there anything official on this or is it another one from his ‘source’?
He is talking as if it’s from the company but I can’t find jack.

See p.4 of the following release, published on the HKEX website:
https://www1.hkexnews.hk/listedco/listconews/sehk/2020/0914/2020091400293.pdf

Also on the CX website:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/content/dam/cx/about-us/investor-relations/announcements/en/202008_cxtraffic_en_locrechk.pdf

AllWobbly
14th Sep 2020, 12:16
Spanish parking resorts FULL.

No they’re not.

Curry Lamb
14th Sep 2020, 13:25
The need to restructure the CX group is not only as a result of the havoc the china plague has caused, but started a couple of years ago.
Umbrella movement, Trade War, Riots and the latest Security law - broke the camel's back.

The sooner everyone wakes up to the fact that Hong Kong is now just another mainland city, and CX just another mainland airline (competing with big players and LCC alike), the better.

The muppets up north has successfully managed to kill off tourism to HK, expats in the banking and retail sectors are shipping out in droves, the local rich are emigrating.

When the aviation sector recovers, demand will be for direct flights from China to wherever, no need to transit HK, unless airfares are rock bottom, which brings us back to LCCs again.

Therefore the need for "deep cuts" and restructuring.

unitedabx
14th Sep 2020, 13:32
The need to restructure the CX group is not only as a result of the havoc the china plague has caused, but started a couple of years ago.
Umbrella movement, Trade War, Riots and the latest Security law - broke the camel's back.

The sooner everyone wakes up to the fact that Hong Kong is now just another mainland city, and CX just another mainland airline (competing with big players and LCC alike), the better.

The muppets up north has successfully managed to kill off tourism to HK, expats in the banking and retail sectors are shipping out in droves, the local rich are emigrating.

When the aviation sector recovers, demand will be for direct flights from China to wherever, no need to transit HK, unless airfares are rock bottom, which brings us back to LCCs again.

Therefore the need for "deep cuts" and restructuring.

Don"t forget the own goal by Merlin with the fuel hedging.

Angel 8
14th Sep 2020, 14:15
Curry and united, Though your analysis are correct to some extent, none of the events you mentioned are World changers.
COVID-19 has, and we have to live with this FACT, changed our world for a very long time to come.
What CX will do next is a response to this pandemic, full stop.
Some of us will loose our jobs as a result, some of us may not get another job again.

Curry Lamb
14th Sep 2020, 15:21
COVID-19 has, and we have to live with this FACT, changed our world for a very long time to come.

Totally disagree my angel. The "clever people" predict 2-4 years until pre-virus travel is back to 100% capacity, and with a vaccine, even earlier.

What has changed forever and getting worse by the day, is Beijings hard handed tactics in HK, with total disregard for any International Laws and Human Rights.

Western countries are warning their citizens to think twice before living in, travelling to OR transitting HK, as it's apparently a major crime now if you've so much as "liked" a post by Joshua, or agreed with Fanny when she called a CCP cadre an A*hole :ugh:

Angel 8
14th Sep 2020, 16:03
Totally disagree my angel. The "clever people" predict 2-4 years until pre-virus travel is back to 100% capacity, and with a vaccine, even earlier.

But don’t you think, my delicious Curry, that business people have already found ways to do their bit without travelling, and also to old folk like me, 2-4 years is a very long time, as who would employ me when I’m 61?
We also have to look at the past to predict the future: Political differences never affect travel, neither does short term unrest, otherwise why would anyone want to have holidays in Brazil, Israel, Egypt, etc...
Travel, would go back to some normality, but certainly not to (100%) Don’t misunderstand my message, as I really hope I’m wrong.

Anti Skid On
14th Sep 2020, 16:19
Many Northern hemisphere punters transit HK as a hub for Aussie and NZ (and vice versa); CX offered a wide range of destinations at both ends of the world. As Aussie and NZ are going to have their borders closed for the foreseeable future those saying things will be back to normal in 2 - 4 years will be eating their words. Nobody is really going to want to fly half way round the world and then have to be in quarantine (in the NZ context at NZ$3000 for the privilege) before having the holiday or family visit.

There have already been mutations of the virus and people who have been infected a second time; the long term consequences affecting health are starting to emerge too. Sadly this has screwed everything we knew before 2020

Dannyboy39
14th Sep 2020, 18:05
What exactly is the plan for HK (and everybody else in Asia for that matter?) Just hunker down until it disappears?

Clearly, we can't keep doing this forever. Whilst a vaccine looks odds on to be found by someone, it'll take a long, long time to roll it out globally.

Surely there has to be some joined up thinking and dare I say it, some pragmatism like we're seeing in Europe (although it certainly isn't universal). There is limited evidence that quarantining people, or banning people altogether, has an effect on infections when the virus is already ingrained in the population.

Krone
14th Sep 2020, 20:00
Cx and KA are the safest places to be as a pilot. Full pay. Everyone else is shedding, hk just stagnant.
Be grateful for your isolation.

AndyBrown350
15th Sep 2020, 11:05
What has changed forever and getting worse by the day, is Beijings hard handed tactics in HK, with total disregard for any International Laws and Human Rights.

Out of curiosity captain, which international laws?

JMock
16th Sep 2020, 06:31
Out of curiosity captain, which international laws?

A treaty is an agreement between sovereign States (countries) and in some cases international organisations, which is binding at international law.

Assume the Sino British Joint Declaration is being referred to as it is a Treaty lodged with the UN

AndyBrown350
16th Sep 2020, 06:40
A treaty is an agreement between sovereign States (countries) and in some cases international organisations, which is binding at international law.

Assume the Sino British Joint Declaration is being referred to as it is a Treaty lodged with the UN

Thank you for the respectful answer to my question, quite strange nowadays on pprune...

CodyBlade
16th Sep 2020, 09:16
the Sino British Joint Declaration is toilet paper.

Who is going to enforce it?

HK is now just another Chinese city.

LLLQNH
16th Sep 2020, 10:08
Cx and KA are the safest places to be as a pilot. Full pay. Everyone else is shedding, hk just stagnant.
Be grateful for your isolation.

Speak for yourself. The majority of us have taken SLS1 & SLS2, the bases are all on reduced salary with the Australian demographic particularly hard hit. So to say full pay is simply not true, as the majority are on reduced pay and in certain base areas on very large reductions.

Curry Lamb
16th Sep 2020, 10:26
And those who didn't take SLS (maybe Krone is of them), will be the first ones to get the "We regret to inform you..." email next month.
Followed by all ones on excessive sickness, failed training events, D&Gs, letters on file and the outspoken ones on social media, AOA forums.
The truth is out there

anxiao
16th Sep 2020, 11:20
Curry you have just listed the apparent lists requested from different departments to asses the criteria for the 49s selection meeting. They were not known as the 49s then as there were 150 + on the list but you are accurate as to the selection procedures.

Since CX realised that they can fire people "for no apparent reason" they probably do not even bother to go through the motions these days.

Best of luck guys, but there is life after Cathay, even in a Covid world.

Sam Ting Wong
16th Sep 2020, 11:57
All I see is an abundance of projection of anger and fear. So obvious.

It is a virus. We are in a pandemic.

There is no evil force out there to get you, no manager or deep state waiting to take over control.

Will we make mistakes on the way to recovery? You bet.

But as we speak a lot of people work day and night to find a solution. And they will. Stop this embarrassing and pathetic arm-chair critique without any expertise whatsoever. Jesus, a few months on the ground and you guys collapse, ready to join Qanon or the alt-right..

There is no conspiracy, it is a global crisis without simple answers.

Keep things in perspective.

Cathay has treated us extremely well so far, anyone disputing that lives on a different planet.

Mark my words: any future decisions will be fair and legal.

PS I get so tired of this 49er bs talk. How about some self-critique for a change? Was A scale really feasible in the 21th century?? Course not. Yes, it was a knee-jerk reaction by the company, and it was wrong and random. But certainly not unprovoked. And it happened a very very long time ago.Same goes for the fuel hedging. What is the point of dragging on about it? It was major mistake, and that is that.

Let's move on, shall we?

Curry Lamb
16th Sep 2020, 14:06
"To know your future you must know your past""Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

George Santayana - 1905

triple7driver
16th Sep 2020, 14:51

The Brits have very recently shown the world that as long as you “break international law in a very specific and limited way” then it's ok!

Shoebox
16th Sep 2020, 16:32
All I see is an abundance of projection of anger and fear. So obvious.

The real conspiracy theorists believe that the Government cares about them, the media would never mislead or lie to them and the pharmaceutical industry that makes billions off sickness wants to cure them. :ok:

Sam Ting Wong
16th Sep 2020, 23:06
"the" media, "the" government"...

cxorcist
17th Sep 2020, 00:18
"the" media, "the" government"...
Oh brother! Someday you’ll have enough life experience to know that not everything labeled a “conspiracy theory” is in fact a “conspiracy theory”. In the meantime, “two ears and one mouth”...

cxorcist
17th Sep 2020, 00:45
The Brits have very recently shown the world that as long as you “break international law in a very specific and limited way” then it's ok!
Every international law is only as robust as the nations’ governments and militaries willing to enforce it. That’s a fact and the fatal flaw of “international law”. This is why a global society and citizenry are fantasies. Nationalism with shared mutual interests are the way forward. Certain political movements have recently figured this out. The old guard is grasping at straws with their desperate attempts to control the globe via the UN, “climate change”, corona virus response, censoring technocracies and media bias, etc.

mngmt mole
17th Sep 2020, 15:39
Ummm, everyone who expresses an opinion here generally believes their opinion is the correct one. Argue for or against the opinion, not the person. Otherwise you really don't have anything to offer.

cxorcist
17th Sep 2020, 17:52
Cxorcist once again that thinks only his opinion is correct and everyone is wrong.
How did you get that from my post? Just because I expose the weak underbelly of liberalism doesn’t mean ONLY my opinion is correct. There are many, many others... but not pc, public school indoctrinated snowflakes.

0ztranaut
18th Sep 2020, 04:21
It’s so funny when you call others snowflakes. You are the first to be on here whining and sounding fearful of how the world is changing around you. The strong try to change things or adapt, you just whine mate. How did you get that from my post? Just because I expose the weak underbelly of liberalism doesn’t mean ONLY my opinion is correct. There are many, many others... but not pc, public school indoctrinated snowflakes.

Oasis
18th Sep 2020, 08:11
It’s so funny when you call others snowflakes. You are the first to be on here whining and sounding fearful of how the world is changing around you. The strong try to change things or adapt, you just whine mate.

I don’t think you know what he means by a snowflake.

Sam Ting Wong
18th Sep 2020, 08:51
https://historyhustle.com/2500-years-of-people-complaining-about-the-younger-generation/

0ztranaut
18th Sep 2020, 11:53
I don’t think you know what he means by a snowflake.

“Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. Common usages include the terms special snowflake, Generation Snowflake, and snowflake as a politicized insult”. It’s funny because it perfectly sums up how Cxorcist comes across in his numerous posts.

Or maybe i’m confused and he was referring to the precipitation kind?

Oasis
18th Sep 2020, 13:09
“Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. Common usages include the terms special snowflake, Generation Snowflake, and snowflake as a politicized insult”. It’s funny because it perfectly sums up how Cxorcist comes across in his numerous posts.

Or maybe i’m confused and he was referring to the precipitation kind?

He doesn’t seem to be unable to cope with opposing opinions, as he states that he is not even sure his is the correct one.

also not overly emotional.

disclaimer; my opinion may not be the correct one either, for fear of being called a snowflake.

0ztranaut
18th Sep 2020, 13:14
He doesn’t seem to be unable to cope with opposing opinions, as he states that he is not even sure his is the correct one.

also not overly emotional.

disclaimer; my opinion may not be the correct one either, for fear of being called a snowflake.

I don’t recall your posts being as whiney or entitled as your good friend, but rest assured if they are then I guess the name would fit.

Oasis
19th Sep 2020, 11:07
I don’t recall your posts being as whiney or entitled as your good friend, but rest assured if they are then I guess the name would fit.
I am glad you say that, because I love to get approval from an anonymous internet user where I can.

please let me know if there is anything I can do better to serve you.