PDA

View Full Version : There's a story here: abandoned aircraft for disposal

akaSylvia
11th Sep 2020, 13:40
https://ukga.com/classified/view?contentId=48728

Looks like it might have actually landed successfully and then the nose gear collapsed on the rough ground. I presume the engine is shot. Shame, it's a pretty little thing.

possel
11th Sep 2020, 13:44
Well, that happened two years ago - is it still on its nose? See https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-investigation-to-socata-tb10-tobago-g-golf

DaveReidUK
11th Sep 2020, 18:03
Well, that happened two years ago - is it still on its nose?

Unsurprisingly, not, according to Google Earth.

akaSylvia
12th Sep 2020, 07:26
Well, that's intriguing. The advert is from 14 of August this year and specifically says "as is where is" in north Yorks.

alfaman
12th Sep 2020, 09:22
Well, that's intriguing. The advert is from 14 of August this year and specifically says "as is where is" in north Yorks.
I see what you mean, but that might just be linguistic/photographic licence on the part of the seller: I suspect the farmer has dragged it into his yard & the advertiser (which may be him) is saying "I'm not dragging it any further - if you buy it, you move it" - just my interpretation :)

Saab Dastard
12th Sep 2020, 13:08
There's a blue & white aircraft visible in Google Earth (July 2018 imagery) on the "apron" at Fadmoor airfield: 54°18'36.40"N 0°58'18.12"W. If that's the aircraft in question, and it's been out in open without covering all that time, it can't have improved its resale value.

SD

possel
14th Sep 2020, 14:24
Well, that happened two years ago - is it still on its nose? Unsurprisingly, not, according to Google Earth.
My point being that if it happened two years ago, why is the advertiser posting a photo of the accident? Or did "as is, where is" mean exactly that it WAS still on its nose?!

DaveReidUK
14th Sep 2020, 16:47
My point being that if it happened two years ago, why is the advertiser posting a photo of the accident? Or did "as is, where is" mean exactly that it WAS still on its nose?!

I read "as is" to mean that the collapsed nosewheel and other resulting damage has not been repaired.

If that's the case then - wherever on the field, or elsewhere, the aircraft is currently located - gravity and geometry will mean that the aircraft is still of necessity resting on two main wheels and what's left of the nose.

NutLoose
14th Sep 2020, 19:03
Might be not covered by insurance, can’t afford to fix, two years parking fees mounting up.