PDA

View Full Version : Jabiru Engine Issue

JabiruGliderPilot
8th Sep 2020, 08:18
Does anyone know of any past or current legal cases being run against Jabiru?
About 20 months ago my LAME found copious metal in the oil-filter of my Jabiru 3300. This was 150hrs after Jabiru zero'd it. They eventually offered to ship & fix it at their expense. As soon as they get hold of it, however, the shenanigans began. Their claims ranged from there being nothing wrong with it to it being unsafe & needing a bulk strip, replacement parts & return shipping…..all at my expense.
An old school buddy, and Barrister has gone thru the email trails, ATSB & CASA files, chat pages and LAME statements etc. He’s keen to proceed & reckons we’d have a straight forward win in court. He is keen to run a class action. I just want to get back in the air and this may be the only way to get there.
I'd feel more comfortable after some research myself and the logical starting point would be inspecting any past or present legal cases being run against Jabiru?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ChickenHouse
8th Sep 2020, 13:49
Just search on the net for Jabiru and you'll find tons of related stuff. There have been many cases, but I did not follow how many where handled outside while court was waiting.

fitliker
8th Sep 2020, 15:20
Did anyone offer an accurate assessment of the metal found ?
Whenever I talk to an engine shop , I ask for the assessment microscope , spectrogram .
Without an accurate metal assessment , type of metal quantity etc it is just guessing .
All engines make metal all the time , oil analysis monitoring will give an accurate assessment of when the quantity and type of metal require action.
Most commercial aircraft use oil analysis to predict the health of the engine and pull engines off line when required .
i have seen chunks of metal the size of your pinky after a chip light in one engine . They went back and read the analysis on that engine and changed a few gear boxes on other engines after that one engine seized on shut down .