PDA

View Full Version : Student Pilot - Cessna crash into hangar

josephfeatherweight
7th Sep 2020, 10:07
Not sure if this has been posted - let me know if it has and I'll delete.
Apparently he escaped with only minor injuries - very lucky to even be alive.
I really feel for this guy - sent solo too early and without some of the basics nailed down - like using the rudder pedals.

https://youtu.be/snR05n6wkpI

Squawk7700
7th Sep 2020, 10:51
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1334x750/a4f2879b_c109_42f1_acd2_753f8ab57619_6176377999499622e1cf079 0e2a0a18a3a2e5bbd.png

Ascend Charlie
7th Sep 2020, 10:53
Hmmm.. use rudder to stay on runway...didn't work....throttle to idle, apply brakes. No no no, try to take off and fly over the hangar, that's a better idea....

Bare Plane
7th Sep 2020, 11:01
are you sure this guy was a student and not some pedestrian trying to steal a plane?

cattletruck
7th Sep 2020, 11:18
Waiting for someone to post the METAR.

josephfeatherweight
7th Sep 2020, 11:42
didn't work....throttle to idle, apply brakes
I think the concept that "If the landing isn't going well, you can always go-around." was one of the things that HAD been cemented in his mind - it just didn't really apply in this particular situation.
What does amaze me (and it's probably a generational thing) is that a student pilot, presumably on a very early solo, finds the need to set up a camera and record his endeavors.
The distraction of mounting it, setting it up, remembering to turn it on - it's all preparation that shouldn't feature in the preparation of a solo flight, surely?
Or maybe I'm just an old git. Or is this something that flying schools do now?

Meester proach
7th Sep 2020, 11:48
It’s the modern day vanity ,

Record everything you do because it’s sooo interesting .

But then airline FOs are some of the worst offenders for YouTube vanity .

I think the worst are when there’s a running commentary ... concentrate , dammit

The Fat Controller
7th Sep 2020, 11:56
Already being discussed on a thread started 4 days ago here

https://www.pprune.org/accidents-close-calls/635264-c-172-toronto-other-day.html

josephfeatherweight
7th Sep 2020, 12:02
Already being discussed on a thread started 4 days ago here

https://www.pprune.org/accidents-close-calls/635264-c-172-toronto-other-day.html

Thanks for the link - apologies for starting a new thread - had a (very) quick look but didn't find anything in my normal "go to" haunts...

machtuk
7th Sep 2020, 13:33
Yep full right aileron really helps to turn away from the hangar! How do these people get a ticket to drive a plane?

Two's in
7th Sep 2020, 15:55
Well done all you aviation warriors who clearly have no recollection of learning to fly. This "student" has zero muscle memory for what to do when things go wrong, his brain immediately fails to process the directional failure, he over controls massively and you can see him using the yolk like a steering wheel and pulling and pushing anything he can reach. This is not an infrequent occurrence, and it's the judgement call thousands of instructors make every day - is my student ready and if something goes wrong, what will they do? In this case the student failed to recognize and react to the problem correctly and was extremely fortunate to survive the outcome.

B2N2
7th Sep 2020, 16:27
This ^^^^
Student pilot panicked and his brain shut down.
All you keyboard commandos should be ashamed of yourself.
Half of you wear a poop suit in a Pa28.

michaelbinary
7th Sep 2020, 17:11
It’s the modern day vanity ,

Record everything you do because it’s sooo interesting .

But then airline FOs are some of the worst offenders for YouTube vanity .

I think the worst are when there’s a running commentary ... concentrate , dammit

Well, I do think it was a great video of a crash, something to be used for future student training no doubt.

Pugilistic Animus
7th Sep 2020, 18:12
Back in the old days of flying...if you crashed, and survived and weren't too badly injured, you were told to go right back to the hangar and get another airplane the same day...this was done so that the student didn't turn yellow.

kansarasc
7th Sep 2020, 21:36
I have a hard time believing that this guy is actually a student.. I have been a student before and even with very basic instruction for a short time this should not happen.
Way Faaaaast taxi., seriously on first solo ? Why he had his hands on control yoke? while taxiing ? Student with just few hours of experience will know that you taxi with foot pedals and not yoke.

Squawk7700
7th Sep 2020, 22:21
Yep full right aileron really helps to turn away from the hangar! How do these people get a ticket to drive a plane?

A lot of people have been saying the same thing about this video, however I can’t help but think I would have also turned hard right with the ailerons when approaching the hangar as it feels like it would be better to crash into the underside of the aircraft rather than front on. In fact there’s a fair chance it saved his life.

The undercarriage is under the aircraft, whereas if you hit something straight on in the 172 you tend to smack the dash and hit the yoke with your chest. I witnessed this personally on the “not so merry go-around” at YLTV many years ago that has been well written about.

Capt Fathom
7th Sep 2020, 22:31
A least he followed one piece of advice.

Fly the aircraft all the way to the crash site!

captain.weird
7th Sep 2020, 23:03
Was it his first solo?

Lead Balloon
7th Sep 2020, 23:23
If you spend a lot of time driving a car and little time flying an aircraft, the natural instinctual reaction when panicked is to use the aircraft yoke as a ‘steering wheel’.

(BTW kansarasc: I was taught from day 1 to use the elevator and ailerons during taxi, to take account of wind. Even in zero wind conditions, the elevator should be used during taxi, in a tricycle undercarriage aircraft, to take a bit of weight off the nose wheel.)

Give the kid a break. He walked away.

stilton
8th Sep 2020, 00:39
I’m surprised he survived, it looked like a hell of an impact

B2N2
8th Sep 2020, 02:37
Way Faaaaast taxi., seriously on first solo ? Why he had his hands on control yoke? while taxiing ? Student with just few hours of experience will know that you taxi with foot pedals and not yoke.

This “fast taxi” is called a landing.
He landed flat and maybe slightly fast.
Started heading for the weeds and panicked on the go around.
By your own admission you took 60 hrs to solo on a rotorcraft.......

cattletruck
8th Sep 2020, 11:27
Wouldn't have happened if they started him off on a Tiger Moth (and not because it's got a stick).

Pugilistic Animus
8th Sep 2020, 11:37
Why would it be better if he soloed in a Tigermoth, as opposed to a Cub or a C150? In the US a Tigermoth would be an extremely rare airplane.

I think it would be better to take after me...my first solo was in a 707 after 1 hour of training :}

Pugilistic Animus
8th Sep 2020, 12:46
Let us not forget this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=roS6oFjCDhc

the_rookie
8th Sep 2020, 13:04
I have a hard time believing that this guy is actually a student.. I have been a student before and even with very basic instruction for a short time this should not happen.

What are you on about you turkey

PlusNet
8th Sep 2020, 13:56
Poor chap just got totally disorientated. Let's hope he gets a sympathetic debriefing and carries on, despite his minor injuries. After all that is what insurance is for!

Oscar Charlie 192
8th Sep 2020, 15:36
If you spend a lot of time driving a car and little time flying an aircraft, the natural instinctual reaction when panicked is to use the aircraft yoke as a ‘steering wheel’.
Give the kid a break. He walked away.

With 4,000,000+ (yes, 4 million) miles driven and less than 20 hours in my logbook, I struggle to steer with my feet.
Sadly, I don't get enough time in the aircraft, for various reasons.

student88
8th Sep 2020, 15:43
Students make mistakes, some big, some small - making him feel bad about his actions on an anonymous forum only makes YOU look like a douche bag.

asdf1234
8th Sep 2020, 17:08
I think the concept that "If the landing isn't going well, you can always go-around." was one of the things that HAD been cemented in his mind - it just didn't really apply in this particular situation.
What does amaze me (and it's probably a generational thing) is that a student pilot, presumably on a very early solo, finds the need to set up a camera and record his endeavors.
The distraction of mounting it, setting it up, remembering to turn it on - it's all preparation that shouldn't feature in the preparation of a solo flight, surely?
Or maybe I'm just an old git. Or is this something that flying schools do now?

I remember my first solo many moons ago. I kept on muttering "Oh f##k" as I climbed out and "Oh s##t" as I turned downwind. Once downwind my nerves settled. I wouldn't want a camera in there with me recording my words and no doubt visible signs of abject terror! I look back on that day with fond memories now....

The Fat Controller
8th Sep 2020, 17:48
I think we should all take a moment and wish the pilot a speedy recovery, both physically and emotionally.

If you are reading this, thank you for allowing the video to be posted.

I hope you manage to get over the accident and back to flying.

As for the event on the runway, I wonder if the squealing tyre noise was an inadvertent brake lock up or just the nose wheel complaining.

A320LGW
8th Sep 2020, 23:32
Far too many keyboard warriors on here for my liking.

I think it's fair to say that the person suffering the hardest over this unfortunate incident is the student himself, does he really need the extra grief? This stuff can have devastating consequences on people and I find in aviation incidences people ridicule far too easily.

morno
8th Sep 2020, 23:49

You sir, just made a complete goose of yourself :ugh:

Capt Fathom
8th Sep 2020, 23:59
I struggle to steer with my feet.

So you never had a billycart as a kid? :E

zanthrus
9th Sep 2020, 01:28
But a billy cart steers opposite to an aircraft. Oops!

havick
9th Sep 2020, 03:19
Why would it be better if he soloed in a Tigermoth, as opposed to a Cub or a C150? In the US a Tigermoth would be an extremely rare airplane.

I think it would be better to take after me...my first solo was in a 707 after 1 hour of training :}

How do you solo an aircraft that required more than one pilot?

Ascend Charlie
9th Sep 2020, 05:25
I think it would be better to take after me...my first solo was in a 707 after 1 hour of training https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Looxury!
I had to lick tarmac clean first, then my instructor beat me to death before sending me solo in a 747 without any training at all! Tell that to the kids these days, nobody would believe you...

Desert Flower
9th Sep 2020, 06:09
Well done all you aviation warriors who clearly have no recollection of learning to fly. This "student" has zero muscle memory for what to do when things go wrong, his brain immediately fails to process the directional failure, he over controls massively and you can see him using the yolk like a steering wheel and pulling and pushing anything he can reach. This is not an infrequent occurrence, and it's the judgement call thousands of instructors make every day - is my student ready and if something goes wrong, what will they do? In this case the student failed to recognize and react to the problem correctly and was extremely fortunate to survive the outcome.

Lol - the yolk???

DF.

Spunky Monkey
9th Sep 2020, 07:03
It is quite obvious to anyone who has an instructional background he started to do everything he was taught.
Landed a little flat, started to drift to the side of the runway, after reducing throttle, (But may not have closed it fully - possibly causing more drift) doesn't add enough rudder.
So initiates a go around.
Doesn't correct the yaw and then uses aileron to try to steer away from the hanger, while accelerating towards it.
Poor chap becomes completely overloaded and is fortunate that the aircraft hit the hanger side on so the aircraft and the soft skin of the hanger acted as a crumple zone.
This should be seen as a learning exercise for us all not just in the lessons this video shows but also when going around is not the best option and most importantly that the rudder is so seldom used by a huge amount of pilots in GA from beginners to pilots with lots of hours.
Unless pilots have real experience of stick and rudder aircraft and tailwheel aircraft then they see the rudder pedals as brakes and footrests. Rather than a powerful control surface with multiple secondary control effects.
Good luck to the student, I am glad he wasn't too badly hurt, that he provided us all with some valuable learning experience and hope that this doesn't put him off flying.

Lead Balloon
9th Sep 2020, 07:07
Well said, SM.

machtuk
9th Sep 2020, 07:28
I'd be more concerned about the instructor/s who taught this guy and especially the one that authorised solo flight! I mean we are talking about a C172 here one if the most benign training A/C on the market! You are meant to be competent to go solo. To stuff this up so badly means someone out there needs some attention also!

jonkster
9th Sep 2020, 08:04
Wouldn't have happened if they started him off on a Tiger Moth (and not because it's got a stick).
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x683/zk_bli_img_8182_edit_zpsde719076_fca946ac7d5eaef7cd6c51f9a17 0f8254b9408f7.jpg

'cause no one has ever ground looped a Tiger Moth... :p

Sholayo
9th Sep 2020, 09:03
It is quite obvious to anyone who has an instructional background he started to do everything he was taught.
(...)
Good luck to the student, I am glad he wasn't too badly hurt, that he provided us all with some valuable learning experience and hope that this doesn't put him off flying.

All this :D
And great that he had a camera, so we can learn on his mistakes.

&

Aussie Bob
9th Sep 2020, 09:55
And great that he had a camera, so we can learn on his mistakes.

Umm, there is something wrong here. Personally I don't ever allow students to carry a camera solo and I can't begin to condone the idea. If indeed the footage is real, perhaps he was frigging with the camera controls instead of looking after the plane? Perhaps I am old fashioned? Do any of you instructors out there permit students to set up cameras prior to solo flights? Surely you are learning to fly, not making a movie for your mates on social media?

Pearly White
9th Sep 2020, 10:17
After my first solo almost fifty years ago, my instructor told me my landing was just about perfect and that I should not expect to land like that every time. Considering I'd been a little unnerved by being buzzed by a large and illegally-flown R/C model aircraft halfway down my crosswind leg (it came within a few feet of the windshield) I was pretty chuffed that I'd brought back the aircraft in one piece. He said that for many student pilots, their first landing was often the best of their career. Often it was quite unforgettable.

I'd venture our hero didn't get a similar talk, but his first solo landing will be just as unforgettable. But he walked away, that's what counts.

Stickshift3000
9th Sep 2020, 11:45
I hope the subject gets back into the cockpit and flies again. Nobody is perfect when learning.

Pugilistic Animus
9th Sep 2020, 15:32
How do you solo an aircraft that required more than one pilot?
easy, just break the law...all you really need is the FE anyway :}

j3pipercub
10th Sep 2020, 01:04
easy, just break the law...all you really need is the FE anyway :}

Very true, the Capt generally lacks the hand flying skills anyway.

j3

Kwun Cheung
10th Sep 2020, 01:25
Back in the old days of flying...if you crashed, and survived and weren't too badly injured, you were told to go right back to the hangar and get another airplane the same day...this was done so that the student didn't turn yellow.
This is exactly what we do in PFC, but we do a Dual first to make sure student's competency.

Pugilistic Animus
10th Sep 2020, 04:51
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x683/zk_bli_img_8182_edit_zpsde719076_fca946ac7d5eaef7cd6c51f9a17 0f8254b9408f7.jpg

'cause no one has ever ground looped a Tiger Moth... :p
​​​​​​ Ah I see, cool!

Pugilistic Animus
10th Sep 2020, 13:59
This is exactly what we do in PFC, but we do a Dual first to make sure student's competency.

what is PFC?

Oscar Charlie 192
12th Sep 2020, 15:35
So you never had a billycart as a kid? :E

Nope. Plus, we wouldn't have called what I think you refer to by that name.

B2N2
14th Sep 2020, 17:55
I'd be more concerned about the instructor/s who taught this guy and especially the one that authorised solo flight! I mean we are talking about a C172 here one if the most benign training A/C on the market! You are meant to be competent to go solo. To stuff this up so badly means someone out there needs some attention also!

Students make mistakes, experienced pilots make mistakes.
Thats all there is to it.
Out of the 1300-1400 fatalities in GA in the US maybe 99.9% are certificated more “experienced” pilots.
Most dings and scrapes and scares are student pilots, rarely fatal though.
Food for thought.