PDA

View Full Version : Fresh CPL, where to next...

Chris Taylor
7th Sep 2020, 03:25
Hi all,

I'm coming to finish my CPL in the next few months and as every other pilot in Australia scratching their head wondering what next or when will it go back to normal, I'd like to draw on everyone's experience on the training and progression pathways they took. I am well aware that I may not secure any sort of flying job for the next 1-2 years because of COVID as I am at the bottom of the barrel in terms of skill set, so here I ponder and try to draw a yearly road map to a piloting career on the other side of the pandemic.
Area's I am looking at and my questions are;
1) I have the opportunity to do a MECIR course not long after my completing my CPL. Is it worth the ratings if potentially not using it for some time? And from there ATPL's...
2) I'm looking into the C208 Caravan and DHC2B Beaver, wheel and float endorsements. Much cheaper option and I think more of a likelihood of employ-ability. I am in Queensland and tourism is somewhat stable.
3) Instructor rating, teach for a year or two.

Looking for the best option to spend my dollars wisely and keep up my currency in the mean time. Thanks in advance.

lucille
7th Sep 2020, 12:06
1) Go do an IT degree while waiting for the industry to turn around. Keep your hand in flying gliders or LSAs.
2) Don't waste your money just yet on MECIR or C208 / DHC-2 endorsements. There are hundreds of highly experienced unemployed guys out there already looking for that kind of work. Unless daddy owns the C-208, your 200+ hours just won’t cut it with insurance minimums.
I’ll also bet that a lot of those unemployed ex-airline guys are busy reactivating their instructor ratings.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but right now, you have no options.

The great news is - things will definitely pick up again, you’re young and will be ready to ride the next aviation recruiting boom. There is no doubt that you will eventually get a job and a good career. I apologise for being blunt and depressing but I have never in my 45 years seen it this bad on a global scale.

In the meantime, keep your chin up and press on in the certainty that things will change for the better.

machtuk
7th Sep 2020, 13:28
As above, don't put all yr eggs in one basket esiecislly a broken basket for a very long time!
A lot of pilots I've known over the years left themselves wide open to uncertainty by not having other skills as so many have found out recently,
Good luck.

Climb150
7th Sep 2020, 13:32
Definitely do your ATPL theory. I have come across many people who were unable to progress due to lack of ATPL theory passes.

junior.VH-LFA
7th Sep 2020, 14:20
I’m curious what you think DHC-2 time will do for you, other than just be a great experience for the fun factor; which is sometimes enough value on its own.

Clare Prop
7th Sep 2020, 16:08
My advice is to use the money you would spend on an instrument rating to get command time, then do the instrument rating later when you are more likely to get a job where you can use it. As an employer of new CPLs, it is the P1 time that I look for on a resume.

alphacentauri
7th Sep 2020, 21:03
My advice would be, now go and get a qualification in a non aviation related discipline. Examples include;
Surveying
GIS
LAME (yes aviation related but more stable than pilot)
Any trade (electrician would be my pick)

Aviation is full of companies that were there one day and gone the next. COVID hasn't created that situation, just amplified it. You need quals that you can use in any location at short notice.

Chris Taylor
7th Sep 2020, 23:26
Thank you for your perspectives and advice. I've accepted that most of it would be bad news haha, but like all ****ty situations you've gotta persevere towards the best outcome when it rolls around and you guys have the expertise to listen to. I do agree on not putting all my eggs in one basket especially now. I am 37 and have a background in Hospitality Tourism so will find work elsewhere non aviation related, not ideal but it is what it is.
My thought on doing some DHC-2 and/or C208 time is that here in North Queensland/Whitsundays tourism is still ticking along and if no more outbreaks happen it is slowly on the up, just a thought of a possible pathway to get some fly time down the track when the experienced pilots get back in the air on other more qualified jobs. A friend of mine was a seaplane pilot in the Whitsundays and loved the job.
The MECIR is under a TAFE VSL program (as was my CPL) so not out of pocket up front as compared to buying bulk flight time at my own expense.
Doing the ATPL theory is an option, a less expensive one out of all.
I will try to hour build at my expense where I can to keep current and as mentioned by Clare Prop its the hours that contribute to employability.

So as a general consensuses, getting endorsed more than the CPL at the moment is better left for when the time comes around again and employment gains momentum rather than gaining the endorsements now (mainly MECIR) whilst the opportunity is there to do them? Focus on PIC hour building where I can?

AmarokGTI
8th Sep 2020, 01:16
Do ATPL theory exams. I have also seen many people held back because they can’t pass exams, or can’t be bothered, or let them lapse and have to resit etc. MECIR pointless for now as it will lapse likely before you are able to use it for work. Once the theory exams are done they are done. It’s not to say you won’t have to refresh your knowledge base later when you come to use, say, stuff from the systems exam, but at least you won’t have to be re-examined on it.

brokenagain
8th Sep 2020, 01:26
Fresh CPL, where to next...

Coles or Woolies.

Ascend Charlie
8th Sep 2020, 02:16
Woolies is full of Qantas flight attendants, better luck putting onions on the roll at Bunnings, to expand your circle of acquaintances.

B2N2
8th Sep 2020, 02:25
Get your IR and become a safer Pilot

Squawk7700
8th Sep 2020, 02:28
Coles or Woolies.

Or a Contract Tracer. Is the newly created job of 2020.

chimbu warrior
8th Sep 2020, 03:39
The general theme of the information above is that further skills in an alternative industry, and this is good advice. An instrument rating at this point would be a waste of money, and virtually impossible to keep current.

Maintaining links with the aviation industry in any capacity is a good idea, as it enables you to network and keep abreast of what is going on. Perhaps a part-time gig working in admin or reception at a local operator would facilitate this.

Good luck what ever path you choose.

Dawn Patrol
8th Sep 2020, 05:36
I think it is worth keeping in mind that “a backup career” is sometimes easier said than done. If you get a degree in say IT, it’ll take 3/4 yrs. You could find the industry recovered by then to some extent (who knows), and you get a pilot job. Fast forward 15 yrs to the next hard times, and your old degree that you never worked (or very briefly) doesn’t hold much weight. Just a thought, I’d chose a backup carefully before adding to the HECS/debt pile.

I would definitely do the atpls, no question about that. If you can afford the 3/4k per year to do an IPC, a Mecir is something that you will need eventually. A couple of extra renewals could come in handy one day. And when you get a job, it could get you out of trouble (not condoning vfr into imc, but find a vfr GA pilot up north that hasn’t...)

dontgive2FACs
8th Sep 2020, 22:06
Hi all,

I'm coming to finish my CPL in the next few months and as every other pilot in Australia scratching their head wondering what next or when will it go back to normal,

Holy cow. I was only saying yesterday how I feel for those in your shoes. It goes without saying that there is going to be a surplus of pilots. This troughs if the industry will test you in many ways. Patience and resilience to name but two qualities.

All the best on your journey.

Clare Prop
9th Sep 2020, 00:31
The hard part is where you are now, getting on the ladder. A background in hospitality and tourism is ideal for having an edge over others applying for those first jobs! Also here in WA regional areas really need people with that kind of experience ( one of my students is trying to run a regional pub single handed, needs six full time staff and getting zero applicants) and it’s a great way to get a network started

Lookleft
9th Sep 2020, 00:52
one of my students is trying to run a regional pub single handed, needs six full time staff and getting zero applicants

He/She might want to send a letter to McGowan about his border policy.

Clare Prop
9th Sep 2020, 01:18
Plenty of people in WA, they just won't get off their bums and go to the regions, JobKeeper and Seeker aren't helping to give them an incentive, meanwhile Staycationers are battling to get accommodation. It's more an issue of less backpackers than less interstate people, so it's a Federal thing rather than State. Meanwhile the Nullarbor is keeping Clive Palmer out which can only be a good thing. McGowan has over 90% support here so we will have WAxit for a while longer.