PDA

View Full Version : Chromebook or not

Kiltrash
5th Sep 2020, 11:01
Laptop Win 10 has bitten the dust. Something to do with spilling beer over it. But I digress

Looking at replacement no work or study Social only Browsing, photo store and occasional letter writing. Oh and PPRuNe
most things browsing wise phone or tablet
So looking at Chromebook with Google OS and 2m Apps ...Android same as Phone and Tablet
Any thoughts from users good or bad
Ps do not like Win 10 is not as easy to use as previous versions

krismiler
5th Sep 2020, 11:04
Chromebook will work fine for what you describe, and they are getting better all the time.

Life of Leisure
5th Sep 2020, 11:41
I have an Acer R13 Chromebook and am delighted with it.
Pros:
Inexpensive, butat the time I bought it, the bottom end of the Windows PCs were a similar price.
Compared with tablets the keyboard is a big plus.
Good screen with touch operation.
Built in apps are good and supports android apps.
Metal case, slim neat and looks classy. Also folds for a "tent" display or right over to use as a tablet.
Good battery life.
Cons:
Only 32GB internal storage, but has a micro SD card slot and the Chrome operating system facilitates storage in the Google cloud.
The concept of having office files automatically stored in the cloud takes a bit of getting used to, but you can store locally.
No ethernet socket, so must have access to WiFi for internet access.
Good battery life.
When folded over to use as a tablet it feels thick and heavy compared to a genuine tablet.

Can it replace a PC? That depends on what you need to do. Internet browsing, e-mails, writing documents, spreadsheets, simple photo editing, playing sodoku are all fine.

Hope this helps.

Prop swinger
5th Sep 2020, 16:02
Watch out for Chrome laptop expiration dates (https://www.pcworld.com/article/3570263/77-chromebooks-you-shouldnt-buy-why-googles-expiration-dates-matter.html).

krismiler
9th Sep 2020, 23:19
No ethernet socket, so must have access to WiFi for internet access.

Any new chrome book will have a USB C port, buy an adapter for ethernet, or better still buy a powered hub which will allow you to run multiple devices. Higher level ones have HDMI, VGA, memory card and multiple USB ports.

Whinging Tinny
10th Sep 2020, 02:08
Laptop Win 10 has bitten the dust. Something to do with spilling beer over it. But I digress

Looking at replacement no work or study Social only Browsing, photo store and occasional letter writing. Oh and PPRuNe
most things browsing wise phone or tablet
So looking at Chromebook with Google OS and 2m Apps ...Android same as Phone and Tablet
Any thoughts from users good or bad
Ps do not like Win 10 is not as easy to use as previous versions

Buy a cheap laptop and put Linux on it, that will serve your purpose and more.

krismiler
10th Sep 2020, 02:59
You can install Chrome OS on an older laptop to give it a trial run. An older computer which would struggle with the latest Windows, will happily run Chrome due to the lower requirements.

https://www.neverware.com/