PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight Question

Yukkimura
31st Aug 2020, 16:37
So to sum it up and make it short, I suffer from binocular amblyopia which makes my best possible corrected vision 6/9 but always dreamed of becoming a pilot. That said, is it possible to obtain a private pilots license with vision that's not correctable beyond 6/9?

Fl1ingfrog
31st Aug 2020, 18:20
Contact a local UK CAA Air Medical Examiner. The CAA maintain a list of AMEs throughout the country and you can google 'CAA Air Medical Examiners' to go direct to the list. Most AMEs are pilots and are also both commercial and private and so you will find them to be friendly and on your side.

You could possibly obtain a NPPL, LAPL or a PPL without restriction. I'm sure a local AME will be happy to advise you on the telephone prior to you having a formal medical, and without charge. You can be confident that the AME advice will be accurate.

From the UK CAA website: the medical required for a PPL:

(2) For a class 2 medical certificate:

(i) Distant visual acuity, with or without correction, shall be 6/12 (0,5) or better in each eye separately and visual acuity with both eyes shall be 6/9 (0,7) or better.

(ii) Notwithstanding point (b)(2)(i), applicants with substandard vision in one eye or monocularity may be assessed as fit, in consultation with the medical assessor of the licensing authority and subject to a satisfactory ophthalmological evaluation.

Jan Olieslagers
31st Aug 2020, 18:41
At the very basic minimum, you can go for the French ultralight license. Doesn't take any medical at all. You would have to learn French, though, for the exams; and of course ultralights are limited to 2-seaters, daylight vfr only, &c &c.

Fl1ingfrog
31st Aug 2020, 19:39
Why on earth would someone living in London want to obtain a French Ultralight licence which will not be automatically usable in the UK without an internationally recognised medical. The same benefits are here in the UK with the licences available.

dns
31st Aug 2020, 19:55
If you can achieve 6/9 with correction then you should be fine for CAA class 2 in my understanding