PDA

View Full Version : Duration of CPL & IR/MECR

speedy688
16th Aug 2002, 09:02
Just putting some costs together for Modular training with Oxford & need to know a typical duration for doing the CPL course and the IR/MECR course so I can work out accomodation costs. Anyone done these courses & if so can you give an indication of the duration?

G-SPOTs Lost
16th Aug 2002, 19:32
Go see Primo at ravenair - he is an Italian Skygod.....

And they are on your doorstep

And they are very good

And they are probably cheaper

"Bull in the middle, BULL IN THE MIDDLE....andiamo"

juggernaut
16th Aug 2002, 21:34
Italian skygod? I think not - I wasted £1500 and three weeks with the man many years ago, sadly Leavsden flight Centre are no more in the trade. I suggest allowing 6 weeks.

foghorn
16th Aug 2002, 22:09
With good weather and following winds, the CPL takes three weeks and the IR four.

I'd allow four and six minimum.

cheers!
foggy.

G-SPOTs Lost
16th Aug 2002, 22:47
Juggernaut

I must beg to differ, whilst one mans meat is another mans poison, the aforementioned Italian with over 8000 hours instructional hours (the majority in PA38's) must qualify as one of the country's most experienced and accomplished CPL/FIC instructors.

I indeed did my 15hr CPL (Nee BCPL) course there, and it took me 25 hours.....Why?...cos I was crap. Now I genuinely feel I am not because of Mr L.

After three years instructing, it is only now Im beginning to realise what he was on about.

Many of my pears and also many other FIC instructors in the North hold the man in very high regard. .Whilst I respect your view, it would not be in anybody's best interests to give others the view of Ravenair and Primo that you have painted above.

We all hold the instructors that help us pass difficult courses in high regard, I can assure you that this is not just the case here.

You cannot teach a course for that long without getting very good at it Im sorry but thats just the way it is.....:p

faheel
16th Aug 2002, 23:46
Hey G spot what about your apples and oranges, don't leave them out, they might have something constuctive to say as well;)

G-SPOT is Back
17th Aug 2002, 08:12
Ah very good

I was going to edit it but I think ill leave it as it is :D

DRN-P1
18th Aug 2002, 18:52
I have not read anything on p-prune for quite a few months and it was interesting to see a question which made me want to register my details asap , I have spent the last two years obtaining Frozen ATPL CPL/IR etc and training has been carried out both at Oxford Modular and Ravenair .

It is very easy for people to suggest the time span it takes to complete a JAR CPL and ME /IR , however I have done it and therefore have first hand experience !!!

I started at Oxford Modular JULY 2001 and completed MARCH 2002 a total of 8 months

Also around the same time 3 friends of mine started give or take a few weeks , we all finished within a month of each other except for 1 who was very lucky to complete in approx 5 months

All the other students we got to know at Modular took a similar time period , it was really the luck of the draw a couple got through CPL approx 4-5 weeks IR 10-12 weeks however I would say 80 - 90 % of people spent between 6-8 months to complete the course . You only had to look in your Aerad to see that most people going back a few years had it signed out to them for a period almost double the suggested 10-12 weeks .

I was completely satisfied with my training at Oxford and this has provided the foundation on which I intend to build my career , Yes it is expensive however the training is carried out by very experienced instructors most with a commercial flying career behind them and a wealth of knowledge to pass on.

The fact of the matter is that it takes at lot longer than everyone will lead you to believe .

I completed my PPL at Ravenair in Liverpool and have always been very impressed with their approach to flying training . They are a professional organisation providing the opportunity for students to obtain PPL CPL/ME IR in a well structured environment outside the pressures and constraints of the larger training organisations such as Oxford / Cabair .

A major plus point for Ravenair is the cost , they are considerably cheaper than Oxford and for this reason coupled with the high standard of training and faster throughput , I would recommend anyone considering commercial flight training to speak to them.

If I had my time again I would go to Ravenair , much more viable !!!!!

Flypuppy
18th Aug 2002, 22:48
The fact of the matter is that it takes at lot longer than everyone will lead you to believe

This single sentence is THE most important thing to bear in mind when you plan your CPL/IR training budget. Repeat it to yourself when you wake in the morning and before you go to sleep at night. Unless you are extremely lucky, talented or a combination of both with an ability to control the North European weather, your training will over run whatever you plan for.

Other students I know took between 4 and 6 months to complete the ME CPL/IR. The weather was probably the biggest single factor in extending the time required

juggernaut
19th Aug 2002, 00:58
Why so long for a modular course? its only 25 hours flying plus test on complex type, this can normally be done one on one in about 3 weeks, cost between £4000 and £5000. On the subject of meat and poison I can only recount my personal experience whilst training, I was given little encouragement during the course and little in the way of briefings, in 3 weeks I only did 5 hours flying, I seriously considered giving up but fortunately went elsewhere, eventually getting what I required at another training school and receiving an excellent service.