PDA

View Full Version : Alpa Supporting breakaway union

NzAkL20
24th Aug 2020, 10:44
Hey Just wondering what do you alpa pilots think about how suporting the breakaway crew union FAANZ. I don't see how they can be financially viable with out getting financial contribution from Alpa is some way .

InZed
24th Aug 2020, 23:33
Your message is hard to understand... With regard to "ALPA", I assume you mean the US & Canadian 'ALPA'? ... OR are you referring to NZALPA, or is it IFALPA? Or BALPA?

And what is FAANZ? What does this stand for? Are you referring to FANZP, or is there another federation that is breaking away from NZALPA/IFALPA and FANZP?

What are your sources? Who is leading these breakaways?

NzAkL20
24th Aug 2020, 23:58
So sorry . NZALPA suporting the setup of a new cabin crew union FAANZ. I just thought NZALPA was all about solidarity and not encouraging separate factions, as we all know what damage these do

InZed
25th Aug 2020, 19:30
So sorry . NZALPA suporting the setup of a new cabin crew union FAANZ. I just thought NZALPA was all about solidarity and not encouraging separate factions, as we all know what damage these do

NZALPA are leasing an office to the union in a commercial contract. There is no other association other than location.

NzAkL20
25th Aug 2020, 22:15
Mate ,no offence but I think that that's pretty naive thinking. Of all the office space in Auckland they rent space off ALPA . Your pulling my leg . One way or another they are receiving help from Alpa . Think someone in Alpa is telling porkies .

InZed
28th Aug 2020, 08:59
Mate ,no offence but I think that that's pretty naive thinking. Of all the office space in Auckland they rent space off ALPA . Your pulling my leg . One way or another they are receiving help from Alpa . Think someone in Alpa is telling porkies .

All good “mate”. You’re telling the story. But you also asked the question. You can’t ask for information and be upset at a narrative that doesn’t fit your agenda.

I would tell you to go spread your BS elsewhere... but PPRuNe is the place where people like you thrive on posting garbage.

NzAkL20
28th Aug 2020, 10:39
You are pretty sensitive about something you call a rumour. If this topic upsets you so much you need to swear to express yourself perhaps just keep scrolling. We just want honesty and tell the members where our funds are going. We pay good money to alpa and like some honesty.

6080ft
29th Aug 2020, 01:10
During the first lockdown there was a group of Air NZ cabin crew who approached NZALPA about representation, as they felt let down by their union. Our current rules to not enable this tho. From what I’ve heard at work there is a lot of discontent amongst the cabin crew with regards to their unions handling of the redundancies and associated issues.

Their unions aviation spokesman has been at time fairly vocal in the media and at times released info they shouldn’t have, and thereby making life Difficult for other unions trying to deal with the issues at hand.

Given the wide involvement that NZALPA has in the aviation industry, supporting cabin crew seems the likely next step.

InZed
29th Aug 2020, 01:13
You are pretty sensitive about something you call a rumour. If this topic upsets you so much you need to swear to express yourself perhaps just keep scrolling. We just want honesty and tell the members where our funds are going. We pay good money to alpa and like some honesty.

You are the one calling it a rumour. CM spoke on this very subject in person at a recent meeting to quash these rumours that were spreading at the time.

I agree with other members that ALPA may change the rules in the future to support cabin crew, and I think this could be a valuable move - but quoting CM himself (and thus, not a rumour) - there is no involvement.

NzAkL20
29th Aug 2020, 01:31
I agree I'm sure their union could of done things better like ours could . Historically though a break away union only benefits the employers and waters down a good contract. Long term not really a good strategy. As long as we arent funding them in any form I'm happy.

InZed
29th Aug 2020, 09:19
I agree I'm sure their union could of done things better like ours could . Historically though a break away union only benefits the employers and waters down a good contract. Long term not really a good strategy. As long as we arent funding them in any form I'm happy.

We can agree on something :ok:

6080ft
29th Aug 2020, 20:27
Interestingly when the short haul “zeal 320” crew broke away from FARSA and joined the then EPMU, it did not at all work well in the companies favour. Project choice mark one was able to be staved off by the EMPU who fought for a coverage clause, for the 320 cabin crew contract. The companies intention was to attempt to get them working the 767 on the same contract.

sorry thread drift.......

InZed
29th Aug 2020, 20:38
Interestingly when the short haul “zeal 320” crew broke away from FARSA and joined the then EPMU, it did not at all work well in the companies favour. Project choice mark one was able to be staved off by the EMPU who fought for a coverage clause, for the 320 cabin crew contract. The companies intention was to attempt to get them working the 767 on the same contract.

sorry thread drift.......

So for some old boy like me that hasn’t followed cabin crew unions all too closely... I understand FARSA joined Etu Union, but I’ve never heard of EMPU?

6080ft
29th Aug 2020, 21:05
So for some old boy like me that hasn’t followed cabin crew unions all too closely... I understand FARSA joined Etu Union, but I’ve never heard of EMPU?

Around 2008 or 2009 the zeal 320 crew (crew who operated the airbus) felt they were not being represented well by FARSA, and they certainly weren’t. At the time FARSA really only cared about the legacy crew. FARSA was run by legacy crew. So the ZEAL 320 broke off and joined the aviation wing of the EPMU (later renamed ETU) which was at the time was led by Andrew Little. Zeal 320 was just an operating crew company - it’s only employees were the cabin crew. It no longer exists and all crew work for Air New Zealand ltd.

Project Choice rolled around. Turned out FARSA strangely enough didn’t have any money to fight it. Cut a very long story short, and FARSA ends up joining up with Etu

V1_787
27th Jul 2021, 12:26
The FAANZ union should be ashamed.

In a moment of desperation they agreed to inferior ultra long range flying conditions which serve no purpose in today’s environment.

Leanne Langridge is influencing this union movement from behind the scenes and should not be trusted.

How can a union even be incorporated when all members had been served redundancy notices (whilst being paid by the government covid-19 wage subsidy)?

FAANZ do not care about their members they saw an opportunity to undermine the e tū flight attendant union during a time of uncertainty and made a deal with the devil.

It’s a race to the bottom and the FAANZ founder (Craig Featherby) irresponsibility gambled terms and conditions of the unknown for his own selfish gain.

Do yourself a favour and leave this corrupt union.

xoxo

NzAkL20
28th Jul 2021, 14:41
A FA showed me their contract, I'm surprised any lawyer for a union would allow it . Heard they used Air NZ lawyers but surely that can't be right. Either way they got played .

TBM-Legend
28th Jul 2021, 23:00
Just goes to show that unions are so 19th Century....

NzAkL20
30th Jul 2021, 11:04
What did the FAANZ founder gain for his own benefit? It was pretty clear to most with half a brain that Langridge and McKeown were wanting 2 unions to split the crew group and the flocked to FAANZ and bought in.