PDA

View Full Version : Passenger headsets

Captain320U
22nd Aug 2020, 20:14
Fellow Aviators,

I am nearing my end of my PPL training, once I finish my PPL training and done the skills test, I want to take my family and friends with me as I build my hours towards CPL. My question is do I need to get separate headsets for passengers or they are provided by flying club?

I already have my own headsets, just was curious about passenger headsets?

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Aug 2020, 06:30
The place to answer that is your flying club.

Mine will rent you passenger spares (or would have done at the start of the year anyhow), but personally I have my own and particularly in this world where Covid exists, this is I think is the norm now as who wants to share anything that's been on somebody's face?

G

MrAverage
23rd Aug 2020, 07:24
I'm having to sell off our Club's old DCs as we can no longer loan them out for the reasons given by Genghis. The only practical way to clean them is to not clean them, then leave them untouched for a whole week. Impractical for a club..............

ChickenHouse
23rd Aug 2020, 14:34
I do treat headsets as sanitary article, so would not let passengers wear headsets of unknown origin and sanitary status ... but I also do change ear cushions on my headset every 6 month.

TheOddOne
23rd Aug 2020, 17:50
We're putting a used headset into quarantine for 72 hours. A whole week seems longer than the available advice. We've enough spares to cover.
We've never rented out headsets to passengers, but then we're a Club not a commercial enterprise, looking for marginal income. We consider the provision of headsets and lifejackets to be a part of what Club members pay their membership for. Members with their own aircraft in the hangar are free to borrow both items, too.

TOO

Maoraigh1
23rd Aug 2020, 20:04
The OP is likely to be renting the aircraft in which he is carrying his passengers, so the FBO might be more likely to rent/lend headsets

rarelyathome
23rd Aug 2020, 22:09
I do treat headsets as sanitary article, so would not let passengers wear headsets of unknown origin and sanitary status ... but I also do change ear cushions on my headset every 6 month.

Sanitary items :}

Genghis the Engineer
24th Aug 2020, 08:24
A passing comment, the most obviously problematic parts of the headset are the earpieces and the mic sock.

Cotton earpiece covers are cheap enough and easy to buy.

Transair used to sell what they called "mic sock tape" - a sort of self binding crepe bandage. That is actually a material called "vet wrap" which is cheap and easy to buy online when you know that's what it's called, and it's dead easy to replace between pilots.

G

Captain320U
24th Aug 2020, 14:33
Thanks for the feedback above, Yes I’ll using my flight school’s airplane for a flight. They used to give out headsets before this COVID thing came in afterwards they made it a requirement that everyone shall use their own individual headsets.