PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Rating - Victoria

fury308
22nd Aug 2020, 03:56
Any recommendations for where to complete an instructor rating in Victoria (Aus)? Assuming full time availability, approximately what time frame is needed? Rough costs?? Anything else?? In addition, I appreciate the current market situation with the oversupply of drivers....I would still like some info regarding obtaining an instructor rating - thanks.
fury...

thisishardtochoose
22nd Aug 2020, 05:27
Any recommendations for where to complete an instructor rating in Victoria (Aus)? Assuming full time availability, approximately what time frame is needed? Rough costs?? Anything else?? In addition, I appreciate the current market situation with the oversupply of drivers....I would still like some info regarding obtaining an instructor rating - thanks.
fury...

Plenty of great operators around. Interair at YMEN and Learn to Fly at YMMB would be my recommendations

VH DSJ
22nd Aug 2020, 09:43
Is Interair the only flying school left at Essendon?

Judd
22nd Aug 2020, 14:38
Try Gawne Aviation Shepparton. Excellent rates - training area next to airport - quiet circuit area.

runway16
23rd Aug 2020, 00:09
There will be a number of airline pilots and senior GA pilots who will be thinking that 'I should get an instructor rating' to continue flying. Maybe a good gig until I get back into 'real' flying?
Good thought but several things to consider. The cost of an instructor rating will be close to $20K and sometime well above that. You will most likely not be working and earning an income during that time and so will need to feed yourself and put a roof over yourself during the training time. It is often quoted that the FIR will be done in 8 weeks but then that could and often does stretch out to 12 weeks.
You will need to find a school that meets your minimum standards and costing and aircraft type. The school will need to have another student, at least, to work with you on the rating flying.
Then, the big then, after you get the rating will you be able to get work when there is a sea of other pilots and instructors coming down from their previous GA and airlines jobs?
If you have a lot of experience will you be happy with the standards and conditions that a school that employs you may offer? And then comes the big one, are you going to be full time or casual / part time as is very prevalent through the flying game.
Only you as the budding wannabe instructor can answer all the above.

neville_nobody
23rd Aug 2020, 05:05
Approximately many years would it take to make a Grade 1 Instructor and Testing Officer, from Grade 3, if you already had 10000+ hours total but no ab-initio instructional experience?

LexAir
23rd Aug 2020, 05:12
If you want an informed answer to your question regarding a time line from Grade 3 to Flight Examiner, feel free to to PM me. Happy to give you the benefit of my 40 plus years experience in the instructing and examining field.

Judd
23rd Aug 2020, 07:45
If you want an informed answer to your question regarding a time line from Grade 3 to Flight Examiner,
Assuming you are an independant Examiner, how much would you expect pay annually to adequately cover yourself re liability insurance ?

LexAir
23rd Aug 2020, 23:03
Examiners are covered by CASA negligence liability insurance(see: https://www.casa.gov.au/files/caap-admin-01-v20-0); however, this not necessarily a panacea for all possible legal and or common law scenarios.
Most examiners I know rely only on the CASA provided protection because if you want to extend your cover to encompass a broad range of legal scenarios it will not be cheap.
To minimise my exposure to legal problems I have an extensive set of Terms & Conditions, which I provide to my clients prior to taking on a training and or assessment commitment. These T & Cs clearly set out the obligations of both parties with particular emphasis on the warranties given by the trainee or applicant.

SCPL_1988
24th Aug 2020, 00:26
Any person considering an instructing rating in Australia needs to think about the big picture
of employment and cost.

First, Australian training rates are horrific.
I'm in Canada and the cost here is about half that of Australia and the quality would
very much be very similar if not identical.

If you go to convert an Australian Instructor to Canadian you can add around $6,000 to do the mandatory 15 hrs air and 15 hrs ground with a Class 1 instructor.

If you do your Instructor rating in Canada, you can then go to work almost immediately with generally, lots of jobs around
and even with COVID the industry is rebounding.

If you do the Canadian instructor first, you can then convert that back to an Australian upon a flight review, a recommendation and a flight test.

Under age 30, Canadians and Australians are eligible for a no hassles working visa.

Get your instructor rating in Canada and if you impress, your odds of getting hired where you trained is pretty high.
By being around you will see and hear of the other entry level jobs ,
You could add a float rating etc, enjoy say 2 years flying floats, you will end up on a amphibian grand caravan making
a good income.

Instrument ratings. - What you get in Australia is a joke.
You hardly get any "real IFR". In Canada, at many places you will get more than enough of real IFR
and once you start flying for a living, you will get more than you want of "real" IFR.

There are schools in Canada that also turn out high numbers but at a quality that does not meet
expectations.

You also need to consider doing the FAA conversion, and basic instructor that also requires an instrument rating.
Most new pilots do their IFR as soon as they get their private to log PIC time.
Its that PIC time in Australia and Canada that you are literally paying double for .

Yes, any DUEL training for an instrument rating or instructor rating in the US is P I C time....
but not in Australia or Canada.

If I'm giving young potential pilots advice, I tell that CASA has largely destroyed the
economic viability of General Aviation, and if you want to get everything done to a very
high quality in the shortest period of time, look at North America and start thinking
about the big picture about where you will have the maximum opportunities
due to the larger number of aircraft and thriving aviation businesses.

Oli_Vert
24th Aug 2020, 12:41
Did the rounds at a number of YMMB operators earlier this year looking at my own instructor rating. Off the top of my head all were $20k+ with varying timescales. Message me and I’d be happy to share the notes I made visiting. Based on dual rates away from Moorabbin will be cheaper but not much. As mentioned you’d need someone else in the course with you.

----------------------------------------

Until you have a posting history you don't have access to private messaging and adding urls. People can click on your username and email you if needed.

Aussie Bob
24th Aug 2020, 21:53
Approximately many years would it take to make a Grade 1 Instructor and Testing Officer, from Grade 3, if you already had 10000+ hours total but no ab-initio instructional experience?

About as many as it would take a 180 hour CPL with fresh grade 3

Clare Prop
26th Aug 2020, 01:26
If I'm giving young potential pilots advice, I tell that CASA has largely destroyed the
economic viability of General Aviation, and if you want to get everything done to a very
high quality in the shortest period of time, look at North America and start thinking
about the big picture about where you will have the maximum opportunities
due to the larger number of aircraft and thriving aviation businesses.

And if people go overseas to do their training that has no effect on the viability of Australian GA businesses?

How about that for a big picture.

If the economic viability of GA is so bad then how come Jandakot is absolutely booming at the moment. Haven't' seen it this busy since the 90s.

Climb150
26th Aug 2020, 11:58
And if people go overseas to do their training that has no effect on the viability of Australian GA businesses?

How about that for a big picture.

If the economic viability of GA is so bad then how come Jandakot is absolutely booming at the moment. Haven't' seen it this busy since the 90s.
I am happy to be corrected but I think Jandakot is the exception. No other GA airports appear to be booming. Maybe mining is the reason?

Clare Prop
26th Aug 2020, 12:31
Mostly training at Jandakot.