PDA

View Full Version : Stockport 1967 Argonaut

bobdh478
19th Aug 2020, 11:54
Good Afternoon,
I've been looking at the 1967 Stockport Agonaut crash. I saw an old documentary on YouTube which sparked my interest. I found a copy of the Official investigation on a site called "What do they know". Rather odd really, because it only goes up to page 23 of about 34 or so. Does anyone have a complete copy of the BoT report please?

Dave Gittins
19th Aug 2020, 13:02
It should be possible to find the report on the AAIB site. There are certainly other brief reports around the internet including a synopsis on Wikipedia

DaveReidUK
19th Aug 2020, 13:14
See attached.

chevvron
19th Aug 2020, 17:21
Good Afternoon,
I've been looking at the 1967 Stockport Agonaut crash. I saw an old documentary on YouTube which sparked my interest. I found a copy of the Official investigation on a site called "What do they know". Rather odd really, because it only goes up to page 23 of about 34 or so. Does anyone have a complete copy of the BoT report please?
When I was a Northern Radar (Lindholme) in 1973, I worked with the controller who was doing the talkdown (PAR) when the crash occured.

bobdh478
19th Aug 2020, 18:38
Thanks very much Dave, exactly what I wanted. Chevvron, it's amazing how undramatic the whole thing was. Heading for the ground, and not even a slight change of tempo!

Watson1963
19th Aug 2020, 21:37
This one, bobdh?https://youtu.be/Zz94kJRXWqA

chevvron
20th Aug 2020, 05:46
Thanks very much Dave, exactly what I wanted. Chevvron, it's amazing how undramatic the whole thing was. Heading for the ground, and not even a slight change of tempo!
That's the way you always did a talkdown, no emotion and monotone; any trace of your voice getting frantic might have unnerved the pilot.
For another example of this, you might catch 'The Challenger 604' (bizjet) on 'Discovery' Channel which gets re-shown occasionally and which ends with a talkdown into Farnbrorough; that same monotone un-emotional delivery by the controller.*
Having said that, we always had a good 'rapport' between ATC and the excellent Farnborough test pilots; they were always ready for a 'funny' so one of the controllers who had been there for many years when I arrived in '74 used to do talkdowns emulating the voice and delivery of John Arlott.
*At least I hope you think so 'cos it's my voice!!

bobdh478
20th Aug 2020, 09:35
Yes, that's the one.

2 sheds
20th Aug 2020, 17:41
Unemotional monotone is at risk of sounding boring. I thought that the Argonaut continued to be vectored for an optimistic ILS approach?

2 s