PDA

View Full Version : Citation owner of VH-MYE in court today 18th August

Mumbai Merlin
18th Aug 2020, 00:03
Well known Citation Jet owner Andrew Norbury is scheduled for Court today, case number 'S CI 2013 01595'
Apparently Norbury is trying to sue Cessna for a dud aircraft.

Norbury's wife is also TV on screen diva Lydia Schiavello, of 'Real House wives of Melbourne' reality series.

The Wawa Zone
18th Aug 2020, 01:05
I'd like to see ... Real Housewives of Bankstown Airport !

onehitwonder
18th Aug 2020, 02:21
What is a dud aircraft?

Squawk7700
18th Aug 2020, 02:29
The title of the thread is quite misleading.

It should be “Cessna” in court, not the individual taking them to court. The thread title sounds like you’re tarnishing the name of a presumably law-abiding citizen.

TBM-Legend
18th Aug 2020, 08:20
The title of the thread is quite misleading.

It should be “Cessna” in court, not the individual taking them to court. The thread title sounds like you’re tarnishing the name of a presumably law-abiding citizen.

It's quite correct to show who initiated the court case. That doesn't besmirch the applicant at all.

Less Hair
18th Aug 2020, 08:23
Citation owner "goes to court" might avoid confusion.

Global Aviator
18th Aug 2020, 11:37
Did he get a Citation :E...

nonsense
18th Aug 2020, 20:09
Did he get a Citation :E...
I think that is the point isn't it? He got a Citation and isn't happy about it...

Aussie Bob
18th Aug 2020, 22:26
I think that is the point isn't it? He got a Citation and isn't happy about it..

Then he joins the long list of businessmen who have purchased an aeroplane and been bitterly disappointed. Every pilot seems to know one.

josephfeatherweight
19th Aug 2020, 03:28
Maybe he was disappointed to discover that he can't fly direct to LAX in it?

Squawk7700
19th Aug 2020, 03:59
Pay-walled.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.heraldsun.com.au/truecrimeaustralia/police-courts/husband-of-real-housewives-of-melbourne-star-lydia-schiavello-takes-on-cessna-over-dud-plane/news-story/c7b1499ad1d055170770bceed2bf463d

19th Aug 2020, 12:55
Dud Citation - In what way was it dud?

Petropavlovsk
19th Aug 2020, 13:00
In an article on Monday 17th Herald Sun newspaper there was a picture of the aircraft owner with sub text stating he had been sold a dud aircraft.
Check the CASA civil aircraft register and ring the owner at his published address and ask him.
Then you will have the facts!

gerry111
19th Aug 2020, 13:50
To avoid Rupert's pay-walls, Andrew Norbury's Citation is MYE.

Kagamuga
19th Aug 2020, 21:12
gerry111,
How very clever of you - we know from the title of the thread!:ugh:

gerry111
20th Aug 2020, 02:45
Sorry Kagamuga. Going in for brain surgery on the 29th.

Kagamuga
20th Aug 2020, 12:18
Sorry "gerry 111" could not resist ! Enjoy.......

Office Update
31st Aug 2020, 09:52
The Melbourne Age, 30th August

Take a millionaire architect, a couple of prominent QCs, a Real Housewives of Melbourne star and a $US4.7 million ($6.3 million) jet aircraft claimed to be a dud and what do you have? A Supreme Court trial scheduled to start at 10.30am on Monday.

Andrew Norbury, the millionaire architect and developer, is taking time out from his day job as the husband of Real Housewives of Melbourne star Lydia Schiavello to sue Textron Aviation over a Cessna jet he says is now un-airworthy.

To argue his case Norbury, whose Metier3 firm designed Seven17Bourke, home to Channel Nine and The Age, has enlisted Ian Freckelton QC, the Victoria Police lawyer who has acted for police giving evidence in the Lawyer X royal commission and conducted the City of Melbourne inquiry into sexual assault allegations against former lord mayor Robert Doyle.

US-based Textron has hired Hamish Austin QC, whose expertise in commercial litigation “has been recognised in the Victorian and Australian Senior Counsel rankings of Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession”, according to his Victorian Bar profile.

Over the past month the lawyers have been discussing with Supreme Court Justice Peter Riordan if court times need to be rescheduled to hear evidence from US witnesses and if his honour can view the jet under COVID-safe conditions.
Norbury sued after an incident during a descent into Essendon Airport in 2011, when the 2007 Cessna Model 525 Citation CJ1+ jet made two uncommanded left turns, forcing the pilot to execute emergency manoeuvres. He said the incident left the jet defective and within its warranty period, but Cessna declined to replace the aircraft.

Norbury is rarely seen on the Foxtel reality television program, but his wife has boasted of using the private jet to fly to Thredbo every weekend during the ski season.

Lead Balloon
31st Aug 2020, 21:24
Strip’s pretty short at Thredbo....

outnabout
31st Aug 2020, 23:14
Real Housewives hubby ‘nearly died’ when private jet allegedly malfunctioned mid-airThe husband of a popular Real Housewives star is suing the company that made his private jet after a hair-raising near-death experience.
Frances Vinall
NCA NewsWireAUGUST 31, 20207:47PMhttps://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/34629084aea2358f87e03f759c537cc5?width=650Lydia Schiavell and Andrew Norbury at the Australian Open Tennis 2016 Womens Final. Picture: Julie KiriacoudisSource:News Corp Australia

The husband of a popular Real Housewives of Melbourne star is suing the company that made his private jet after he claimed it malfunctioned mid-flight in a terrifying high-altitude scare.

RHOM personality Lydia Schiavello shared the streaming link to the Supreme Court of Victoria hearing with her tens of thousands of social media followers before Monday’s sitting.

The trial concerns her husband Andrew Norbury, who was flying the $4 million plane when it plummeted 2000 feet a second in April 2011, his lawyer Ian Freckelton QC alleged.
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/06ac1d02c7c1d899c68659637a60fdde?width=650Lydia Schiavello shared the streaming link to her husband Andrew Norbury's trial with her Instagram followers.Source:Instagram

The plane was flying normally on a trip from Merimbula to Essendon Airport when it suddenly turned sharply, Mr Freckelton told the court.

In an “extraordinary and life-threatening event” while it was cruising on autopilot, “the aircraft did something that it had never done before,” he said.

“It took a powerful, uncommanded turn to the left.

“One of his passengers was actually thrown out of his seat.”

Over 15 hair-raising minutes he was “able to wrest control of the aeroplane”, Mr Freckelton said.

He said this was happening while the jet was “plummeting toward the ground”.

FROM NEWS.COM.AU
Spring fashion trends, from puff sleeves to polk We've rounded up the best https://www.news.com.au/wp-content/themes/vip/newscorpau-nca/assets/dist/img/common/icons/offnet.svg (https://adclick.g.doubleclick.net/pcs/click%253Fxai%253DAKAOjssgkfKKx7duD80HQqDXdEbxyh5eyYKPDkkr7i HTrBdIqMV3-bLETdKiscYX2vLobFvlkbfzqKAyZuhJV17dA-a98WE42Aw55zNbKsGuFvr7WSnnV6fwNwiZP6nsesJp-9ZhpEXcbfruvvGaPMJuevmgzBDGePPFQLr_ndv2LeRLQkXcLqBpIpal6AwtQ lGyj1dUDqEGpnKHqzwsOlxzXX-FTfFIswRu1yTTQPC34Ikpt3MVWSLuHulR3QP7G52FYBufukObK37DQmSLzgY-yVHV%2526sai%253DAMfl-YS_A83mJ40APWj4CF4npoDvVtT8OW4xNytg4gTvQ42rQaGVwa856h6V_krox wD2Fqi9N7vf8qHQCHznfJTnW_-Gr4AcLL6nc-NINdhJgFjYnWaL0ThR3N6TPVHw7NndDNDjPQOVQhgUh2R7WSQ%2526sig%25 3DCg0ArKJSzHj9h2vZ6mfsEAE%2526urlfix%253D1%2526adurl%253Dhtt ps://www.news.com.au/best-of/fashion/best-spring-fashion-trends-2020/news-story/31ccc055b2835514fdba41c4227833a1%3Futm_source%3Dncaaffiliate textlinks%26utm_medium%3DTextLinks%26utm_campaign%3DNCAaffil iates%26utm_content%3D)
“He nearly died,” Mr Freckelton said.
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/482df9913543ceb16570fdbd6425638a?width=650Andrew Norbury is the husband of Real Housewives of Melbourne personality Lydia Schiavello.Source:Instagram

Mr Norbury is an architect, property developer and head of company METIER3, and is worth a reported $50 million.

His purchase of a private plane “allowed everyone to attend meetings in a more timely and efficient way,” his lawyer said.

Mr Norbury purchased the jet in 2007 from Kansas-based Cessna Aircraft Company, which has since been renamed Textron Aircraft Inc.

He is also suing aerospace parts manufacturer Rockwell Collins Inc as part of the suit.
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/acb3c4c94c182973a2008f53425f5dca?width=650Lydia Schiavello and husband Andrew Norbury share a cozy snap on Ms Schiavello’s Instagram feed.Source:Instagram

The lawyer acting for Textron, Hamish Austin QC, argued it was Mr Norbury’s “basic airmanship” that was at fault in the high-flying drama.

He claimed there had been no reported problems for four years prior to the incident and two test flights afterwards with no identified problems.

He said the flight was “bookended” by two “striking facts”.

“There was never a problem before and there hasn’t been a problem since.

“What it will boil down to though is this: The pilot should have hand-flown the aircraft, instead of leaving it to the autopilot.”
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/2a7561826cbceb132d85412b289c7baa?width=650Lydia Schiavello and Andrew Norbury at a Real Housewives of Melbourne event.Source:News Limited

The lawyer acting for Rockwell Collins, Peter Wallis, also argued the pilot’s flying had been at fault.

“Mr Norbury believes that he is very competent pilot,” he said.

“It is human nature … to rate oneself higher than is warranted in all circumstances.”

Mr Norbury is claiming breach of warranty as well as incidental costs.

He is expected to give evidence on Tuesday.

End of article...

Office Update
1st Sep 2020, 00:57
Interesting to read that Norbury considers himself to be a 'competent' pilot.
If I was the judge I would be calling for Norbury's training records from Flight Safety
I find it hard to imagine a pilot with such limited experience qualified for a C525(S) single pilot type rating from Flight Safety, if indeed he did.
I know by observation that 'Chop' at Aus Jet flew with him regulary as a safety pilot
I know from conversations with Norbury at the time, that he had very poor understanding of the FMS, he never flew often enough to come to grips with FMS based flight especially in approach mode.

Capt Fathom
1st Sep 2020, 01:00
Was there an Incident Report for this 15 hair-raising minute event? I couldn't find anything on the ATSB site.

Office Update
1st Sep 2020, 01:05
That's half the issue; wild claims, there should be Incident reports, Engineering reports, ATSB should have been all over this.
You can't buy experience, you earn it!

megan
1st Sep 2020, 03:29
Nearly died
2,000 feet per second
plummeting toward the ground
passengers thrown out of seat
extraordinary and life-threatening event
able to wrest control of the aeroplane

Only thing missing is the school and hospital that he managed by vast skill to avoid. Never knew the automatics could be so aggressive (thrown out of seat - perhaps too many flutes of Boll) , certainly not in what I flew.

IFEZ
1st Sep 2020, 03:56
Sounds like the defence lawyers have consulted CASA and ATSB on best way to tackle this. It's all the pilot's fault..! Pilot Error..! I'm sure more facts will come to light as the case goes on, but why should the pilot have been 'hand flying the aircraft, not leaving it to the autopilot'..? What's the point of having an autopilot if you can't use it (or trust it). Wouldn't be the 1st time an autopilot went 'haywire' or are they suggesting he mishandled the recovery..? Something doesn't add up (yet)...

0ttoL
1st Sep 2020, 04:58
Article from The Age:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/pilot-suing-cessna-for-in-flight-glitch-made-some-mistakes-court-told-20200831-p55r1o.html

lucille
1st Sep 2020, 06:23
Sounds like the defence lawyers have consulted CASA and ATSB on best way to tackle this. It's all the pilot's fault..! Pilot Error..! I'm sure more facts will come to light as the case goes on, but why should the pilot have been 'hand flying the aircraft, not leaving it to the autopilot'..? What's the point of having an autopilot if you can't use it (or trust it). Wouldn't be the 1st time an autopilot went 'haywire' or are they suggesting he mishandled the recovery..? Something doesn't add up (yet)...

More appropriate to rephrase your question. What’s the point in having a human pilot if you expect the autopilot to be flawless 100% of the time?

The AP is merely an aid, which is why both of you can’t leave the cockpit to go back and take a pee at the same time.

machtuk
1st Sep 2020, 07:11
Come on guys this crap is more entertaining than his wife on that ridiculous show, -) Let the game continue, I need a good laugh!

halas
1st Sep 2020, 08:50
Never flown one of these, but by all accounts, it's a benign, stable platform that most 'competent and properly trained' pilots should be able to manage.
Struth, even R. Smith flew the sister-ships of this one for years on his own.

He got scared and has not flown the aircraft since. Fair enough.
Sell it and move on.

I don't see why he is taking on Textron and Rockwell-Collins, so many years building a non-existent case, to end up proving he is either incompetent, poorly trained or both.

cattletruck
1st Sep 2020, 10:55
It sounds like his pals and business associates will no longer fly with him and his "competent" skills until he can blame it all on the plane.

That's the real tragedy.

deja vu
1st Sep 2020, 13:54
2000 feet per second, holy cow! How was that figure ever established?, does it have a FDR?
It's a multitude of wealthy wannabes like this that gave the MU2 a very nasty and undeserved reputation it could never shake.
Unbelievable this ever got to court.

rnuts
1st Sep 2020, 21:38
Cessna would only grant him a second class rating I believe, even though he’d purchased an aircraft from them.
He had to have a ‘safety’ pilot fly with him for ages in the Kingair and later the Citation even after somehow getting a command rating in Australia.
Make of that what you will!

Petropavlovsk
1st Sep 2020, 22:38
Flight Safety (Wichita) do not hand out type ratings. I have personally seen the shock and disbelief on pilot's faces when they fail Command training after having bought a new aircraft.
Mind you, you can often pick those whom are heading for problems by their classroom attitude.
In the case of Norbury, the Judge should get Andrew former CP at AusJet into the stand.
CASA still need to start enquiries into why this potentially dangerous situation was not reported. I think it never happened.

clark y
1st Sep 2020, 23:45
Without having any information, what about wake turbulence or CB penetration?
What was in maintenance logs?

machtuk
2nd Sep 2020, 00:42
Now I wonder who talked the guy into buying the jet in the first place?.....hmmmm I wonder!

Petropavlovsk
2nd Sep 2020, 02:34
Bet I can guess !:}

Squawk7700
2nd Sep 2020, 07:14
You guys have all blamed the pilot before the ATSB have had a chance to :-)

Office Update
2nd Sep 2020, 07:33
The case is all over - a secret deal has been reached.

Case closed. (Melbourne Herald Sun - 02 Sept 2020)

deja vu
2nd Sep 2020, 12:17
The case is all over - a secret deal has been reached.

Case closed. (Melbourne Herald Sun - 02 Sept 2020)

OK then, just going to wait for the book to be published I guess

Hamley
2nd Sep 2020, 13:04
If I sued the manufacturer every time an autopilot played up ... man I’m going to need a lot of court dates

Flying Ted
3rd Sep 2020, 05:39
From today's report...

“Really, he’s to an extent brought this upon himself because he’s got this view that can’t be shifted by any logic.
“When your Honour looks at it in detail, we say we’ve established that that just can’t be right, and that the system worked properly … and that he just made some mistakes that day.”

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/tv-star-s-husband-makes-deal-in-eight-year-battle-over-jet-20200903-p55rzx.html

mcoates
3rd Sep 2020, 06:53
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/twist-in-reality-star-husbands-legal-stoush-with-private-jet-manufacturer/news-story/b0ac4bdfc2e6b8efedfb70e250e9c72a

zanthrus
3rd Sep 2020, 07:49
I suspect Textron are buying the aircraft back off him so that he will now go away! Sounds like he had finger trouble and he won't accept that he was his own worst enemy, not the aircraft or Textron. Why are rich people such assh*les all the time?

Mumbai Merlin
3rd Sep 2020, 09:56
Textron don't have to buy the aircraft back; there is no need to do so. Just sell the aircraft and move on; there is nothing wrong with it.
All Cessna, Rockwell Collins have to do is call for Norbury's training records from Flight Safety, speak to people whom knew the man back in those days.
Put the Aus Jet CP 'Chop' into the witness box.
Bring in CASA to find out whom upgraded his licence to fly single pilot in Australia
He is not even a "B' list social celebrity !

Bosi72
4th Sep 2020, 03:03
You guys have all blamed the pilot before the ATSB have had a chance to :-)
I guess the same happened when two B737MAX crashed in 2018/19...

Pearly White
4th Sep 2020, 04:48
From today's report...

“Really, he’s to an extent brought this upon himself because he’s got this view that can’t be shifted by any logic.
“When your Honour looks at it in detail, we say we’ve established that that just can’t be right, and that the system worked properly … and that he just made some mistakes that day.”

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/tv-star-s-husband-makes-deal-in-eight-year-battle-over-jet-20200903-p55rzx.html
The defence would say that though, wouldn't they? How many here have seen the evidence, as opposed to making a subjective judgement?

IFEZ
4th Sep 2020, 06:46
I still don't get it. If he was in the cruise, at altitude, and the autopilot went haywire initiating uncommanded turns and he was forced to recover the situation, (assuming he didn't make the whole story up), why is it due to him stuffing things up somehow..? I don't know the bloke but plenty on here are quick to hang it on him as being somehow substandard. That may well be true (or not) but it still doesn't explain what happened. Or why the defence said 'he should have been hand flying it'. In the cruise..? Really..?
Or did he make the whole thing up to cover up something he did wrong..? Seems like a lot of effort and expense to go through just to save face with his son and his friend who were the only other witnesses to the event..!

cattletruck
4th Sep 2020, 10:14
It was all about protecting reputation and the legal settlement saved both bacons, perhaps a compromise on both sides was reached, we'll never know . As someone suggested earlier, it was high time to move on, perhaps overdue but at least this amateur hour nonsense is now over and all noses are still intact.

AerocatS2A
5th Sep 2020, 02:57
I still don't get it. If he was in the cruise, at altitude, and the autopilot went haywire initiating uncommanded turns and he was forced to recover the situation, (assuming he didn't make the whole story up), why is it due to him stuffing things up somehow..? I don't know the bloke but plenty on here are quick to hang it on him as being somehow substandard. That may well be true (or not) but it still doesn't explain what happened. Or why the defence said 'he should have been hand flying it'. In the cruise..? Really..?
Or did he make the whole thing up to cover up something he did wrong..? Seems like a lot of effort and expense to go through just to save face with his son and his friend who were the only other witnesses to the event..!
Maybe he tried to use the autopilot to recover the situation and they are suggesting he should have disconnected it then. I don't know this aircraft type, but I've seen some people make some aeroplanes do very ugly things while trying to keep the autopilot on.

ShyTorque
5th Sep 2020, 11:54
2,000 FPS = 1363 mph.

No wonder he’s upset..... to recover from that descent rate was a remarkable feat, even to keep the wings on. The “g” loading must have been impressive.

I presume the journalist didn’t have a physics qualification.

Al E. Vator
7th Sep 2020, 02:48
I will happily purchase that apparently 'tainted' aircraft from Textron at a big discount in return for not suing them for perceived design issues!

The GA manufacturing industry was decimated in the 80's by litigious f-wits out to make a quick buck.

Not saying this case is similar but sincerely hope we don't go the same way in Australia.

megan
8th Sep 2020, 01:56
Given the story he has put up if he can't point to an submitted incident report it didn't happen. Bolding mine.Mandatory reporting – routinely reportable matters (RRM)RRMs do not require immediate reporting. RRMs are occurrences that have, or could have, affected safety, but the outcome was not serious. RRMs would involve non-serious injuries, minor aircraft damage or structural failure that does not significantly affect structural integrity, performance or flight characteristics and does not require major repair or replacement of affected components. Under the TSI Act, responsible person must report RRMs within 72 hours of becoming aware of them.

An example of a RRM may include (AIP ENR 1.14):

an injury, other than a serious injury, to a person on board the aircraft
a flight crew member becoming incapacitated while operating the aircraft
an airprox
an occurrence that results in difficulty controlling the aircraft, including any of the following:

an aircraft system failure
a weather phenomenon
operation outside the aircraft’s approved flight envelope

fuel exhaustion
the aircraft’s supply of useable fuel becoming so low (whether or not as a result of fuel starvation) that the safety of the aircraft is compromised
a collision with an animal, or a bird, on a certified aerodrome.

machtuk
8th Sep 2020, 02:59
Given the story he has put up if he can't point to an submitted incident report it didn't happen. Bolding mine.

I thought the same thing. This 'event' would normally be reported if for no other reason than to cover yr ass!
Welive in a very litigators world where we will never know the truth here!
There would have to be a lot more to this story but it has at least been entertaining -)

Des Dimona
13th Sep 2020, 01:43
2000 feet per second

That's 120,000 ft per minute - I don't think so.

The aircraft would be in a million pieces at that V/S.

deja vu
13th Sep 2020, 02:25
That's 120,000 ft per minute - I don't think so.

The aircraft would be in a million pieces at that V/S.
Well thats just half the story apparently.

It took "15 hair raising minutes" to get the aircraft under control is a real worry.

Lookleft
13th Sep 2020, 02:42
The ATSB investigated an incident on a Kingair over Mt Hotham where both engines had a chip detector indication. Eventually the investigation was discontinued as the CDI were the result of pilot tomfoolery and not a result of engine malfunction.

Lookleft
13th Sep 2020, 09:55
Office Update!

Unless you're a Moderator with a particular objection to the post I will contribute whatever I want! My point was and is that the reason for the alleged behaviour of the Citation may have been that the pilot was not entirely focused on the job at hand. When it all turned pear shaped he has tried to blame the aircraft and sought to get some form of compensation. One reason the pilot of ITE (thanks for the rego) was found out was a discrepancy between his timeline and the fuel receipts.

Checkboard
13th Sep 2020, 15:05
It took "15 hair raising minutes" to get the aircraft under control is a real worry.
It took an estimated 15 minutes for that particular pilot to get the aircraft under control.

Des Dimona
13th Sep 2020, 22:44
Has this aircraft got Tamarack winglets?

Lead Balloon
13th Sep 2020, 23:48
Jeez Office: You seem to be hanging on a bit tight.

Well said, LL.

megan
14th Sep 2020, 02:17
You seem to be hanging on a bit tight.To loosen the reins a little what was the ITE incident, a search reveals zip?

rnuts
14th Sep 2020, 03:51
To loosen the reins a little what was the ITE incident, a search reveals zip?
Try VH-ITH

machtuk
14th Sep 2020, 05:53
I once worked with the driver of that 'chip detector' event, absolutely certifiable!...lolol

deja vu
14th Sep 2020, 06:31
The ATSB investigated an incident on a Kingair over Mt Hotham where both engines had a chip detector indication. Eventually the investigation was discontinued as the CDI were the result of pilot tomfoolery and not a result of engine malfunction.
I take it that a chip detector indication was a cause for alarm and 2 indications was a cause for panic. Now that Lookleft is once again permitted to post on the subject I would be interested to know what happened

Lookleft
14th Sep 2020, 10:24
This is the best I could find. I know the ATSB discontinued the investigation as it wasn't a safety issue but a stupidity issue. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2006-05-15/stunt-flight-earns-grollo-good-behaviour-bond/1754362

Capt Fathom
14th Sep 2020, 10:48
Over torqued or over temped the engines?

rnuts
14th Sep 2020, 11:24
Over torqued or over temped the engines?
No, oil starvation due to the Neg G manoeuvres.

machtuk
14th Sep 2020, 12:13
What did Tex Johnston say?........it's only a 1G manoeuvre?

Office Update
28th Feb 2022, 19:23
Heraldsun.com.au | Subscribe to the Herald Sun for exclusive stories (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=HSWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fbusiness%2Freal-housewives-of-melbourne-husband-andrew-norbury-sues-qbe-insurance-over-damage-to-private-jet%2Fnews-story%2F68310bc1eec94c96edbc10b1ee122205&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21=dynamic-hot-test-score&V21spcbehaviour=append)

The reality TV wife of Andrew Norbury is now suing QBE Insurance for damage to the private jet. Citation CJ1 VH-MYE

Story behind paywall....
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1500x1687/e7ac956d_819c_4198_b6ff_a6b5ff29b06a_13a64c1a144d22397719b86 8edcc2a3ceffcd723.jpeg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1384x1105/1e2f610b_cdd1_439e_898d_177797f9d76d_b692548a4e67ada9bb4b6e9 ef68a68e23e077999.jpeg

Mach1Muppet
1st Mar 2022, 03:06
Heraldsun.com.au | Subscribe to the Herald Sun for exclusive stories (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=HSWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fbusiness%2Freal-housewives-of-melbourne-husband-andrew-norbury-sues-qbe-insurance-over-damage-to-private-jet%2Fnews-story%2F68310bc1eec94c96edbc10b1ee122205&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21=dynamic-hot-test-score&V21spcbehaviour=append)

The reality TV wife of Andrew Norbury is now suing QBE Insurance for damage to the private jet. Citation CJ1 VH-MYE

Story behind paywall....

Let's just sue everyone!

megan
2nd Mar 2022, 02:03
What is the aircraft damage? Soiled cockpit seat when he lost control?

lucille
2nd Mar 2022, 21:35
All that silicone must have leaked into the brain with the purported neg G “manoeuvres”.

Bull at a Gate
2nd Mar 2022, 23:45
Please forgive me for being stupid, but what has the Kingair negative g story where the pilot was Mark Grollo, got to do with the Citation lawsuit where the pilot is Andrew Norbury? I must be missing something but I don’t know what that is.

Mumbai Merlin
23rd Oct 2023, 09:52
The Norbury loss of control Citation, VH-MYE, has been cancelled from the Aussie register on 20th Oct 2023 and is going to USA.
Hopefully to a new owner whom will enjoy the aircraft!

Colin Nicholson
24th Oct 2023, 11:07
The Norbury loss of control Citation, VH-MYE, has been cancelled from the Aussie register on 20th Oct 2023 and is going to USA.
Hopefully to a new owner whom will enjoy the aircraft!

by sea freight I presume

Pearly White
25th Oct 2023, 02:09
by sea freight I presume
Why do you say that? After all this time is it still unflyable?

aeromariner
26th Oct 2023, 01:50
Why do you say that? After all this time is it still unflyable?
All the media reports said that it was claimed to be a "write off"

aeromariner
26th Oct 2023, 01:53
same autopilot used in both aircraft only some B200 had it

Pearly White
26th Oct 2023, 07:22
All the media reports said that it was claimed to be a "write off"
Interesting that it's been temporarily put on the US register as N102AJ then. Perhaps they're taking it there to part it out?

PiperCameron
26th Oct 2023, 23:04
Interesting that it's been temporarily put on the US register as N102AJ then. Perhaps they're taking it there to part it out?

They wouldn't need to register it at all if they were planning to part it out, so it's more likely they're wanting to get it flying again somehow. Maybe they have another aircraft in the USA that they're wanting to disappear?

Pearly White
27th Oct 2023, 10:42
They wouldn't need to register it at all if they were planning to part it out, so it's more likely they're wanting to get it flying again somehow. Maybe they have another aircraft in the USA that they're wanting to disappear?
More likely that they're planning to fly it there, whether it's for parts or to keep it flying when it gets there. They'd need a registration of some kind to be able to fly from Aus to USA. That same reg, N102AJ, has been on two other aircraft in last few years, a King Air, and a 777 ex-Emirates, both now scrapped. A possible pattern emerging there?

outnabout
5th Nov 2023, 01:02
If you have some spare brain cells to kill, or are totally bored, fast forward through RHOM Season 1 to footage taken inside the cockpit of Ole Mate Andrew and his celebrity (?) wife Lydia flying down to King Island to pick up some cheese for a dinner party.

I think that was the storyline, and I think the aircraft was a B200.

The few minutes of footage that were broadcast did not lead me to believe I was watching a confident, competent pilot. However, this may have been caused by having a film crew on board, and his Mrs (sitting in the copilot seat) messing about with the approach charts on the iPad.

The Wawa Zone
6th Nov 2023, 17:00
>>In an “extraordinary and life-threatening event” while it was cruising on autopilot, “the aircraft did something that it had never done before,” he said.
>>“It took a powerful, uncommanded turn to the left.

Ah yeah, I though autopilots were supposed to do that. All the ones I ever flew did that (if they actually worked in the first place).

CIC
18th Dec 2023, 18:52
VH-MYE is no more!

Now registered N102AJ the new owner has filed a flight plan from Essendon, Alice Springs, Broome, Jakarta and no doubt further onwards.

A perfectly good aircraft blighted by a "celebrity" pilot ..... I'm sure the new owners will have many years of satisfaction from their C525 Citation CJ

Pinky the pilot
19th Dec 2023, 00:45
I thought autopilots were supposed to do that

Once flew a Chieftain that did precisely that! Disconnected it very smartly.

Tried it about 10 minutes later and no problem. Later discussion with other Pilots who had flown that particular A/C reported it happening to them as well.

helispotter
19th Dec 2023, 20:59
...It's a multitude of wealthy wannabes like this that gave the MU2 a very nasty and undeserved reputation it could never shake...

I realise post #31 was from back in 2020, and further discussion of MU2 losses is thread drift, but my impression from reading material in the past was that MU2 was a challenging aircraft to fly. It seemed to be more a case of insufficient initial training requirements for this type, rather than 'wealthy wannabes', that explains many losses. Wikipedia entry for Mitsubishi MU-2 gives what comes across as a fair review under the sub heading "Safety Concerns" at:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_MU-2

Asturias56
20th Dec 2023, 14:40
The US magazine Flying looked at the MU-2 several times over the years and at the accidents. As you say it was a hot aeroplane - a properly trained pilot could handle it and it delivered superb performance but it could very easily get away from an irregular flyer who didn't keep their training up to scratch .

These days the Insurance companies would probably make sure it was only in the hands of the proficient - no coverage or astronomical (even MORE astronomical!) for those not training regularly

VH-MLE
21st Dec 2023, 05:16
Acknowledging the thread drift, the MU2 only started to have similar accident rate after specific training was developed for it (CAA/CASA required it here too). Prior to that, it had an accident rate higher than the average. Airframe ice was a major issue whereby it could & would stall without warning (i.e. no stick shaker activation or aural warning). I don't think the MU2 was purchased by wealthy business people here, rather than being a cheap turboprop aircraft for charter companies...

Lookleft
21st Dec 2023, 05:27
My understanding was that endorsements onto the MU-2 had to be conducted by Flight Safety. The fatality rate dropped quite substantially after that. The B-200 did not require a FS endorsement and its fatality rate is now above that of the MU-2.

megan
22nd Dec 2023, 01:18
I don't think the MU2 was purchased by wealthy business people hereAt least one was, by a property developer, driven by a young lady of my acquaintance, used for charter as well when not required by the owner.

fixitdude
22nd Dec 2023, 09:58
Currently N102AJ over Britain at 40K feet. On the way to Florida. Hasn't skipped a beat.

CIC
23rd Dec 2023, 22:35
Arrived at its new home in USA, safely and with no apparent drama.

Capt Fathom
24th Dec 2023, 00:39
On the Glasgow - Reykjavik leg it diverted back to Wick after 2 hours airborne. An hour on the ground it then departed again for Reykjavik.

Pearly White
24th Dec 2023, 08:12
On the Glasgow - Reykjavik leg it diverted back to Wick after 2 hours airborne. An hour on the ground it then departed again for Reykjavik.
The jetstreams were giving around 160-190kt headwinds at times across the North Atlantic oceanic routes so they might have encountered more wind than forecast and decided to go back to safety and try again the next day.

There was no indication of any tech issues, unless you saw something I didn’t?

Capt Fathom
24th Dec 2023, 10:25
might have encountered more wind than forecast and decided to go back to safety and try again the next day.

They spent an hour on the ground in Wick. Wouldn’t make much difference to the wind, but Wick is very slightly closer to Reykjavik than Glasgow.
Enough to make a difference. The C525 is not a speed machine!

Pearly White
26th Dec 2023, 04:22
Thanks, couldn't get that info out of FR24. Those ferry pilots worked pretty hard for their dough.