PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor Hours/License

Baggy95
15th Aug 2020, 11:28
I have been told by a couple of FI friends that the 125 hours theory required for the FI course completion, self study hours count towards this? The school I am at in Spain (I have UK CAA license) seem unaware of this and I'm struggling to find the requirements on the CAA website. Does anyone know if this is true or better, be able to help direct me to the CAA's requirements.

Also, it has been suggested that after successful completion it is possible to obtain a temporary FI license to use while the CAA issue a new FCL with FI on. Again, does anyone know if there is truth to this or where I can find this information? My school has taken on a lot of commercial staff on temporary leave who are not clued in.

selfin
15th Aug 2020, 13:40
Self-study hours do not count towards the required 100 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction. Relevant essential requirements for aircrew made in annex IV to the Basic Regulation include:

1.8. Training course

1.8.1. Training must be executed through a training course.

1.8.2. A training course must meet the following conditions:

(a) a syllabus must be developed for each type of course; and

(b) the training course must comprise a breakdown of theoretical knowledge and practical flight instruction (including synthetic training), if applicable.

1.9. Instructors

1.9.1. Theoretical instruction

Theoretical instruction must be given by appropriately qualified instructors. They must:

(a) have appropriate knowledge in the field where instruction is to be given; and

(b) be capable of using appropriate instructional techniques.

1.9.2. ...

Compliance with these essential requirements is mandated by article 20 of the Basic Regulation.

Article 20

Essential requirements

Pilots and cabin crew involved in the operation of aircraft referred to in point (b) of Article 2(1), other than unmanned aircraft, as well
as flight simulation training devices, persons and organisations involved in the training, testing, checking or medical assessment of
those pilots and cabin crew, shall comply with the essential requirements set out in Annex IV.

Baggy95
17th Aug 2020, 12:44
Thank you for your reply Selfin. Where did you find that it says they do not count and 100 hours? I would just like to be able to reference it as the school is quite unsure unfortunately.

Baggy95
17th Aug 2020, 13:35
I found the suggested requirements in CAP804 - thanks for the help guys.

BillieBob
18th Aug 2020, 09:12
Bear in mind that CAP804, apart from being an obsolete document, applies only to procedures in the UK and there is no reason to believe that the Spanish authority will interpret the regulations in the same way. There is no mention of self-study in the regulations for the FI certificate and, in most of Europe, the basic premise is that what is not specifically permitted by the regulation is prohibited.

selfin
18th Aug 2020, 12:55
The English language edition of Part-FCL specifies that the initial FIC course shall include at least 100 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction. The Spanish language edition gives it as 80 hours which is clearly an error because the German, French, Italian, Danish, etc, editions all specify 100 hours.

FCL.930.FI FI — Training course
(b) The FI training course shall include:
(1) 25 hours of teaching and learning;
(2) at least 100 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction, including progress tests;

FCL.930.FI FI - Curso de formación
b) El curso de formación para FI incluirá:
1) 25 horas de enseñanza y aprendizaje;
2) al menos 80 horas de instrucción teórica, incluidas pruebas de progreso;

Notwithstanding the translation error it is a requirement made in the Basic Regulation, point 1.9.1. in annex IV, that:

"Theoretical instruction must be given by appropriately qualified instructors."
"La instrucción teórica deberá ser impartida por instructores debidamente cualificados."