PDA

View Full Version : RAFO Hawk 203 Scale Model

Bob Viking
7th Aug 2020, 19:45
Hello folks.

I am currently serving on Loan Service in Oman flying the Hawk 166.

My Sqn Boss has asked me if I know how to get hold of a good model of a Hawk 203 (in RAFO colours) to Mark a special occasion.

Basically, I have no idea where to start beyond the simple google searches I have already conducted. Does anybody know of a decent source who may be able to make or provide a decent, bespoke (but reasonably rugged) model of a Hawk 203?

Thanks in advance,

BV

bobward
7th Aug 2020, 20:00
Skimming through a couple of magazines offers the following:
Staples & Vine
www.staplesandvine.com

Thomas Gunn Miniatures:
www.tomgunn.co.uk

These seem to supply ready built models to larger scales, which I suspect is what you're after. I've not dealt with either company, as I'm a 1/72nd scale stick-the-bits-and slap-n-paint builder.

Hope this helps a bit

Bob Viking
7th Aug 2020, 21:01
Thankyou. I have contacted them.

I expect to have very little luck since it is a pretty ‘niche’ request but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

BV

Martin the Martian
7th Aug 2020, 21:29
Hobby Boss do a reasonable kit of the single seat Hawk in 1/48th. I have a vague idea it comes with RAFO markings but if not they are fairly easy to get hold of.

Bob Viking
10th Aug 2020, 20:40
Hello all. The requirements have changed somewhat. RAFO now require eleven painted Hawk models. If any enterprising individuals think they could take on the task you may be able to make a profit for yourself.

Please PM or reply to this thread if you are interested.

BV

Buster11
11th Aug 2020, 09:43
Mastermodels will almost certainly be able to help; founded by Laurie Barr who flew high-performance microfilm airctaft in one of the Cardington sheds. They've been in the businerss for maybe 50 years or more. No connection.
[email protected]

India Four Two
16th Aug 2020, 12:20
I've seen good reviews of models made by https://www.mymahoganymodel.com

Less Hair
16th Aug 2020, 12:59
The pro stuff:
https://www.pacmin.com

Bob Viking
16th Aug 2020, 14:13
Thankyou all.

walbut
17th Aug 2020, 07:16
This will probably cause some derision knowing the attitude of many Ppruners to BAE Systems but have you tried contacting them at Brough or Salmesbury? There were certainly plenty of Hawk models supplied to customers over the years I was involved with the aircraft. If there is still a BAE Systems rep on Masirah (assuming that is where you are based), then he might be able to help point you in a suitable direction.

The last time I was on Masirah was to carry out an arrester barrier pull in trial with a Hawk Mk 103 and 203. The RAFO organisation of the trial was outstanding, one of the best I have ever participated in.

Bob Viking
23rd Aug 2020, 16:26
Thankyou all once again.

I have placed an order for thirteen (it increased!) models from My Mahogany Models.

Their products look to be excellent and come in resin as well as wood.

Best regards,

BV

AndoniP
24th Aug 2020, 08:42
This will probably cause some derision knowing the attitude of many Ppruners to BAE Systems but have you tried contacting them at Brough or Salmesbury? There were certainly plenty of Hawk models supplied to customers over the years I was involved with the aircraft.

Master models were the company that made display models for aircraft manufacturers, airlines, and for TV and film (like Stingray and Thunderbirds).