PDA

View Full Version : US Air Force investment in Hermeus

Flugplatz
7th Aug 2020, 17:14
And to think, all Boris Johnson got was a fancy paint-job: Hermeus Mach 5 (http://www.parabolicarc.com/2020/08/07/hermeus-wins-air-force-investment-after-demonstrating-mach-5-engine/#more-74987)
Flug

Less Hair
7th Aug 2020, 20:47
No Trump design finally.

VX275
8th Aug 2020, 17:09
Are Reaction Engines Ltd's Patent lawyers putting a case together?

Flugplatz
8th Aug 2020, 17:42
It is interesting that they claim to have got to Mach 5 conditions in only 9 months, using their proprietary pre-cooler (no details on that). I suppose there is more than one way to skin a cat. It also seems that they have a ramjet incorporated rather than a rocket engine, however I assume that means that they use the usual method of slowing intake air to subsonic speed (with cooling) and also some form of bypass for use at higher speeds when the ramjet could become effective.

KiloB
9th Aug 2020, 07:46
It is interesting that they claim to have got to Mach 5 conditions in only 9 months, using their proprietary pre-cooler (no details on that). I suppose there is more than one way to skin a cat. It also seems that they have a ramjet incorporated rather than a rocket engine, however I assume that means that they use the usual method of slowing intake air to subsonic speed (with cooling) and also some form of bypass for use at higher speeds when the ramjet could become effective.
I think we should remember that there is often quite a void between press releases and designs!

etudiant
10th Aug 2020, 02:36
Iirc, one plausible approach to better engine performance is to use fuel to cool the compressor, something hydrogen fuel does very well. That is perhaps a less comprehensive approach than the Sabre design, but maybe less challenging technically as well.

ORAC
10th Aug 2020, 08:50
Make a hell of a mess of the White House lawn......

Flugplatz
10th Aug 2020, 20:53
ORAC|: possibly. I did see a comment on the original parabolic arc thread that suggested liquid oxygen would be used to cool the compressor. Sounds extremely iffy to me! I believe that the SABRE engine cools the air through the pre-cooler assembly and the air then arrives at the compressor. I suppose alternatives could include contact cooling directly at the first stage of the compressor and believe such compressor cooling has been used in conventional jet engine designs for subsonic increases in thrust at various stages of flight. This article (https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2019/07/18/british-military-scrambles-to-speed-up-work-on-hypersonic-engines-weapons/) (which you have probably seen) talks about the possibility of putting a pre-cooler onto an EJ-200, but I haven't heard anything more about that..