PDA

View Full Version : astigmatism\eyesight again

indigo1
15th Aug 2002, 22:48
Hi all,

Just found this website and i have to say its just what ive been looking for. Absolutly brilliant! well done to all concerned in its operation and of course those who post!

My question has probably been asked a thousand times but here we go!

I want more then anything to embark on a career as a commercial pilot but am not certain about the eyesight side of things. I wear glasses and know that i have astigmatism. I also remember some optician saying something about night blindness? My eyesight definatly aint great when its dark and theres no artificial light whatsoever. Im ok driving at night but wonder would this kind of thing immediatly disqualify me from flying? Does the astigmatism also mess me up completly?

I live in Ireland and am wondering where is the best place over here for someone to go to get all the answers regarding eyesight and flying. Is a highstreet optician enough?

please help anyone who can cos I have to make the decision now whether im going to try and pursue this career.

many thanks.

Lou Scannon
19th Aug 2002, 10:05
There is one simple question that you will need the answer to. It is: Will the relevant licencing authorities accept your level of eyesight as being within their limits for the granting of a licence?

I suggest that you 'phone or write to the authority, be it Irish or whatever and ask for a copy of the eyesight requirements. Take this to an opthamologist (your local hospital can advise) and ask him to examine you and comment on your eyesight regarding the regulations.

Eventually you will need to submit your eyeballs to the authority's medics for their opinion but this might save you a wasted journey.

Good luck matey!