PDA

View Full Version : Good, working, fast VPN for China?

CW247
6th Aug 2020, 16:45
Has anyone got experience of a VPN solution that actually works in China? I have tried so many (all the top brands). They are crap, even after paying $20 per month. Slow, unreliable, just simply not up to the job. Internet is valuable to me, I would pay double!

TF-OII
6th Aug 2020, 17:23
I’ve used ExpressVPN with decent results.

krismiler
7th Aug 2020, 00:19
In many Chinese hotels, trying to connect to a VPN results in your WiFi disconnecting. An international data roaming sim card package of xGb for x$ is often your best bet for things like Gmail but gets expensive for watching YouTube.

The Great Firewall of China is pretty tight, I have a theory that they subscribe to every VPN service available and monitor how they connect outside China so they can block them. Reports indicate that even emails and attachments are scanned for sensitive content. Don't even bother trying to search for "Tiananmen Square massacre"

SaulGoodman
7th Aug 2020, 05:09
ExpressVPN works in China

CW247
7th Aug 2020, 12:37
ExpressVPN is the worst one in my opinion. Amazing, what works for some doesn't for others. It depends where exactly you are, where you go and what kind of user you are. I go every where across China and am a heavy streamer.

a3twenty
7th Aug 2020, 15:53
SecureVPN works.

jetjockey696
8th Aug 2020, 04:41
Nord VPN... one thing to note is that if China is holding China’s ‘Two Sessions’ (known in Chinese as Lianghui), started. The term ‘Two Sessions’ refers to two major political conferences in China that take place within days of each other: the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) and the National People’s Congress (NPC) or major political and business conferences are taking place and/or there are demonstrations etc. all VPN doesn't work. Also depends where are located, Bejing and Guangzhou might have problems logging on compare if you went Xiamen, some operate faster and slow as a snail. sadly it is what it is.

the only way I found, its faster is to buy a prepaid or activate roaming telephone card from HOng KOng. it somehow can access all your favorite website.. the nice and naughty kind.

fuelsurvey
8th Aug 2020, 18:08
This will only be helpful for certain people.

My most reliable vpn in China was piVPN I made using a raspberry pi I had connected to my home internet in the U.S.

I also had good luck with Outline. It’s run by google but you use a virtual server to run it. It’s relatively easy to setup.
https://getoutline.org/

B2N2
9th Aug 2020, 01:02
Nord VPN.....

Superpilot
9th Aug 2020, 07:00
I also discovered that the big brand VPNs are rubbish. The best thing is to have a dedicated VPN server that only you or a few people know about but it's more costly and difficult to set up. I eventually found a solution that gave me 95% reliability and very fast speeds. The day I started using it my life in China improved by a magnitude of 3. Suddenly I felt like I was at home!

The difficult setup is done for you and works in a way that allows Chinese apps to go direct and foreign apps to use the VPN so no need to disconnect and reconnect each time. If you are deadly serious about your Internet, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with the right person. They offer trials too.

fuelsurvey
9th Aug 2020, 16:44
I also discovered that the big brand VPNs are rubbish. The best thing is to have a dedicated VPN server that only you or a few people know about but it's more costly and difficult to set up. I eventually found a solution that gave me 95% reliability and very fast speeds. The day I started using it my life in China improved by a magnitude of 3. Suddenly I felt like I was at home!

The difficult setup is done for you and works in a way that allows Chinese apps to go direct and foreign apps to use the VPN so no need to disconnect and reconnect each time. If you are deadly serious about your Internet, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with the right person. They offer trials too.

That’s the nice thing about Outline. It’s a virtual server running your own private VPN. The entire process is automated and there are apps for iOS or Android to connect.
Total cost is $5 a month. If your VPN ever gets blocked you just kill it and setup another one.

Superpilot
9th Aug 2020, 21:57
Outline stopped working in China early this year, no? It uses a technology that got discovered.

fuelsurvey
9th Aug 2020, 23:47
Outline stopped working in China early this year, no? It uses a technology that got discovered.

Could be. I left China last December. It was working at that time.

Superpilot
10th Aug 2020, 06:20
Yes it was. And it was amazing. But died around January. New tech is just as good though.