PDA

View Full Version : Mauripur 1951

Hipper
6th Aug 2020, 09:52
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x387/r18s_eba4e9cbc2249b4bd8437b57276f3ac88a4766a6.jpg

Anybody any idea what is going on here?

This was taken in 1951 at Mauripur RAF Staging Post, Pakistan. My father is second from the left. I get the impression a posting there was a signal for good times - football, sailing, dancing, golf.... and this.

Fareastdriver
6th Aug 2020, 18:42
If you did that now they would be stoned to death.

Self loading bear
6th Aug 2020, 19:03
Well before my time but I get the idea that LHBGT+
acceptation was better then than now?

OUAQUKGF Ops
6th Aug 2020, 19:09
Flying visit from Colonel Gaddafi....

fauteuil volant
6th Aug 2020, 19:17
The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Cornish Jack
7th Aug 2020, 09:16
I spent 6 weeks temporary duty at Mauripur in '56 as RHS for the Air Attache's Anson. Never got airborne and lounged about in the Mess most days. Outings to Karachi were an extraordinary mix - unbelievably awful conditions for hundreds of thousands of post-Partition refugees on the mud flats and the most luxurious cinema I've ever been in, in the city. The rupee was worthless such that importing Mess supplies was conducted by bartering leather goods. Customs check on arrival (APCSS Valetta), was simplified by a bottle of Gordon's left in the rear seat-back pocket. Startled awakening on the first morning by a turban-ed apparition bearing a cut-throat razor - morning shave in bed with essential cup of chi! As to the OP's photo, I would guess (with little evidence) that the group were the BOAC(?) staging post staff 'letting off steam'. Limited social activity otherwise.