PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printing MAXILLOFACIAL SHIELD for Helmets

Flyting
2nd Aug 2020, 09:00
Has anyone made a Maxillofacial shield for an Alpha Eagle Helmet with their 3D Printer?

Flying Bull
3rd Aug 2020, 08:44
Not yet, but looking into the possibility- also I haven’t the Alpha.
Printing a mold would be even better, would allow to enter Glasfibermesh

Stitchbitch
4th Aug 2020, 06:31
If it all proves too much then these guys sell receivers and a retro fit kit for Eagle and Alpha 900 helmet face shields. Key Survival Equipment | Global Support Services, Survival Equipment And Training (http://www.Key-se.co.uk)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1125x1084/f3ebba7f_69ed_4faa_993d_ecae11cc3365_e7a35659a8baa05500d12b9 29c537acafe41e1cd.jpeg
Image from Pro Flight Gear website

Flying Bull
4th Aug 2020, 08:14
Printing isn’t the problem
Could be done in PETG, ASA or ABS and would withstand the forces easily.
Designing isn’t also not a big deal, if you take the right measurements in advance.
Integrating the boom mike, which is on my Gallus and coming up with a quick release but also stable connection up to say120 knots windforce makes it a little bit tricky.
Imaging ditching and not being able to remove the shield....
Also, it isn’t first priority, lots of other designs and prints in the pipeline 😉

snakepit
5th Aug 2020, 19:29
Has anyone made a Maxillofacial shield for an Alpha Eagle Helmet with their 3D Printer?

you might as well ask if anyone’s made a helmet from toilet roll tubes, paper mashe and balsa wood 😂🤣

Your Company’s safety and compliance department will have a fit when you start Flying in aviation PPE made in your shed. Never mind what your regulator will say at the post crash investigation.

great thread though, it made me laugh

homonculus
5th Aug 2020, 22:45
aviation PPE

I may be missing something, but how can a piece of plastic, whether made at home or from a supplier, stop a virus???? The link has a reusable respirator with one filter replaced, which raises all sorts of issues as to its efficacy. There is a company making an internal mic for the 3M half face systems which, if properly fit tested appears to work, but is anyone doing a formal fit test on these devices in both the static and dynamic mode?

Bravo73
6th Aug 2020, 08:56
The ‘piece of plastic’ will help to stop the virus reaching the mucus membranes in the eyes, nose and mouth.

Hence face shields for medical staff & others etc.

Stitchbitch
7th Aug 2020, 00:35
I may be missing something, but how can a piece of plastic, whether made at home or from a supplier, stop a virus???? The link has a reusable respirator with one filter replaced, which raises all sorts of issues as to its efficacy. There is a company making an internal mic for the 3M half face systems which, if properly fit tested appears to work, but is anyone doing a formal fit test on these devices in both the static and dynamic mode?
I must have missed the bit about stopping the virus, it wasn't mentioned prior to this, under the impression the OP wants to build a face shield/maxilliofacial shield?
I'm told the respirator in the link with one filter removed is fit testable, and in use with several air ambulance operators. They also offer an alternative Gentex respirator tested with the Alpha helmet.

homonculus
7th Aug 2020, 18:46
The ‘piece of plastic’ will help to stop the virus reaching the mucus membranes in the eyes, nose and mouth.

Hence face shields for medical staff & others etc.

Sorry to disappoint but only a fit tested FFP3 mask or PAPR (powered hood) will stop the virus. All other masks simply reduce the ability of the wearer to aerosol and infect others. It does not protect them. A piece of plastic is worthless.

Fit testing involves a third person who is trained to use fit testing equipment. That specification of mask is then approved for that purpose but many individuals fail with particular masks. Even if fit test is passed, a reusable mask has to be checked each time it is donned.

I happy to receive PMs but please dont just take a mask or piece of plastic and assume you are protected.

stay safe