PDA

View Full Version : Tax deduction

ACMS
27th Jul 2020, 13:51
With a lot of us not flying at the moment is there any way we could claim recency flying in a Sim or a light Aircraft as a Tax deduction?

It would be nice if just this once the ATO allowed such a deduction. It would also be a good little boost to some GA flying schools as well with Airline pIlots coming in for a few trips with them.

Any thoughts? Has anyone asked?

I note the other thread regarding Pilotkeeper.....

Hasherucf
28th Jul 2020, 08:40
Even the government knows the Aviation industry is dead for forseeable future. No point flogging a dead horse. When there is signs of life they might throw some cash at it. Until then it's a Woolworths job.

Duck Pilot
28th Jul 2020, 08:55
Check with a good accountant. To my knowledge you can claim recurrency training, class 1 medical expenses and anything you need to pay out of pocket to keep your licence current as per the CASA regs. Tools of the trade!

I don’t believe the tax laws on this have changed since last financial year.

Kagamuga
28th Jul 2020, 09:18
That is certainly the understanding of my accountant.
But .. don't try and sneak in a new type rating, without clearing that first with the ATO.

airdualbleedfault
29th Jul 2020, 01:49
I wouldn't have thought any flying training was tax deductible unless you are employed as a pilot. Getting ratings etc to improve your chances of getting a job have never been deductible. Of course if you are employed and even possibly stood down then that's a different matter. At the end of the day, you can pretty much claim anything but some time in the next 5 years you might be asked to substantiate it. ATO penalties are pretty nasty

Duck Pilot
29th Jul 2020, 08:54
I believe if you have a CPL or higher you can claim anything to support re-currency including loss of licence insurance and glasses if it’s a condition on the licence. Check with an accountant as the tax rules change quite regularly.

Kagamuga
29th Jul 2020, 09:00
I have found in aviation that any reasonable claim will be allowable. If you ask the ATO for a specific 'ruling' number on any event which may trigger an inquiry in years to come will be resolved in seconds. Even if there is a change in policy, because you acted in good faith. Very simple!